Author Topic: MCLAREN Family - Callander/Kilmadock  (Read 5872 times)

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCLAREN Family - Callander/Kilmadock
« on: Thursday 12 November 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace any members of the above Family.  Trade Master Tailor / Couturier in Callander 1881 and also Edinburgh 1906.
With help from Jonn the Family on 1881 Census consists of:-
John McLaren married Mary McNab 1861.  Children were -  Rachael, Donald, John, Duncan and Peter.
Peter married Margaret Hamilton Alison from Port Monteith in 1901 who also had a Son (Peter Alison McLaren) born in 1906 at Cross Doune, Kilmadock.  Peter Alison McLaren did not follow his Father into  the trade,  but went into Forestry and died in 1967 in Kent.
 Help in finding  any of the above Family or descendants would be greatly appreciated.
Annamaywong :)
Wigmore, Berkshire - England
Leach, Berkshire - England
Brittle, Gibbard, Harding - England/N.S.W. Australia
Fullarton, Dalby, Mollison- Australia/Jamaica

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MCLAREN Family - Callander/Kilmadock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Marriage cert for John McLaren and Mary McNab states parents as ..

For John - Donald McLaren (weaver) deceased. and Christian McNaughton (deceased).

For Mary - Peter McNab (mason journeyman) and Rachel Strang.

Hope this helps.

This was a stray marriage I had in my file.  Although I have a lot of McLarens and McNabs in my tree none seem to connect.  McLarens were from, Kenmore, Callander and Clackmannanshire.  There may be a connection but where I don't know as a number of my McLarens from Callander were also tailors by trade.

Something may come out in the wash...Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 23:59 GMT (UK) »
To help trace in census etc.

From IGI extracted entries Children of John McLaren/MacLaren and Mary McNab:

Rachel 1861 Callander
Donald 1863 Port of Montheith
Peter McNab 1867 Callander
John 1869 Callander
Duncan 1871 Callander
Robert McNab 1874 Callander

You didn't seem to have Robert.

Hopefully someone might recognise this family and help you fill in the blanks.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 09 13:28 GMT (UK) »
My thanks to both patvp1 and KirstyG re the additional information supplied in respect of the above family which has filled in quite a few gaps.  Any additional information would be greatly appreciated, also any advice as how to go (forward) in looking for these Family members. Annamaywong

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
You said you were interested in finding other children to Peter McNab Mclaren and Margaret Hamilton Alison.

Do you have the death certificates for Peter and Margaret? If they were registered by someone other than their son Peter they might give you names of other offspring.

Did Peter A Mclaren marry? If so were any family members witnesses?

You can try searching for Deaths on SP of McLaren/MacLaren with mother's maiden name Alison for the appropriate time period. The mother's maiden name is not always recorded, but sometimes you get lucky.

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kirsty for your imput re above. I have been (so far) unable to find either death of Margaret or Peter McNab McLaren.  On Peter Alison McLaren Marriage Certificate (1942) he states that his Father was deceased.
Have tried Scottish Deaths but nothing was listed. Have also tried Births from 1900/1920 and as you say Mothers Name is not always listed.
I do appreciate your help.  Regards Annamaywong

Offline Gord Schmitt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 August 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on McLarens (or may be spelled McLeran) from the Callander / Kenmore areas. 
The earliest ancestor I can verify is James McLaren (1775 or '76 - 1849)  who married Euphemia Jamieson (1781 or '82 - 1862).  They were from Callander where James listed his profession as weaver.  They emigrated to Canada aboard the ship Dorothy in 1815 and lived out their lives in North Elmsley township near Perth Ontario.
The names I am less sure of and trying to establish a definite link with the names above are:  John McLaren. 
I find a birth date of January 2, 1729 for John although this is unconfirmed.  We see the familiar spelling of the surname by this generation.  All of the information I have on him seems to come from the family trees of others and is lacking documentation. 

Assuming all info is correct he married Christian McNee on July 10, 1747 in Callander.  At this time his listed occupation was as a tailor in Balimenoch.  The couple appear to have had 4 children, John, Walter, Catherine and Christian. 
At some point John’s wife died.  He married a second time on January 12, 1759 to Helen McQueen (born August 29, 1736).  She seems to have borne him an additional 10 children between 1760 and 1782.  It is from this second marriage that our direct descendant James McLaren came along with siblings Janet, Donald, Catherine, Archibald, Robert, Margaret, Helen, Jean and another, earlier boy also named James who presumably died in infancy.
I have located no death dates thus far for either John or his second wife Helen.

John's father was possibly Donald McLeran (1708 -1749).  He was apparently born at Kenmore.  Records show he married Katherine Stewart at Callander on April 22, 1728.  The couple had at least 2 children, Donald and John.  The birth and death dates I show for Donald Jr are 1731 - 1834 which I find highly suspect as it would make him about 103.  not impossible but highly unusual for the time.

any info on any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message Gord Schmitt.  I am afraid I have not been back as far as yourself as I am looking in and around the early 1906 when Peter Alice McLaren was born to Peter MClaren a Taylor and his Wife - it is their decendants and Peter's I am looking for information on!  Peter died in 1967 in Kent.  Would wish you luck in your search - everyone on here have always been very helpful so you may get some more response from them.
Annamaywong