Author Topic: Jersey lookup request Helleur/Amy family  (Read 21586 times)

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jersey lookup request Helleur/Amy family
« on: Saturday 14 November 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

hoping someone can help with a few requests please for a friend who cannot travel herself? First is birth lookup for:

Anne Jeanne Helleur b. abt 1829, possibly St. Helier, dtr of Francois Helleur and Esther Amy

second is

Esther Amy b. abt 1806- we have no parent details, same lady mentioned above.

third is confirmation of a marriage date of

Elie Romeril and Marthe Helleur, which I have as 27 Jan 1744 St. Brelade, however I've seen a conflicting report taken apparently from a Société Jerriaise record suggesting a date in 1745, possibly in St. Helier, is correct?

Any help gratefully received!

Andy

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey lookup request Helleur/Amy family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I can see the baptism of Ann Jane Helleur on 11th May 1831 at St Helier Parish Church. Parents were Francois Helleur and Esther Amy. Godparents were Michel Francois Touzel and Ann Le Boutillier.

Finding Esther Amy's birth proved more difficult as it's such a common name.  I looked for her marriage and found that it took place at St Lawrence Church on 19th May 1827. Francois came from St Lawrence and Esther from St Helier. However, there are no Esther Amy baptisms in St Helier in 1806. The best I can come up with is 5th Mar 1794 to Jean Amy and Jeanne Romerill. Godparents were Jean Thomas Romeril and Esther Romeril.

Regardless of where you do the lookups, the indexes are the same as they are provided by the CIFHS. Elie Romeril and Mathe Helleur were married in St Brelades on 27th Jan 1744. However the actual index shows 27th Jan 1744/1745. I am told that this is because the CIFHS couldn't establish the correct year from the Parish Record. There are quite a few guesstimates in this register!!

Stewart

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thanks very much indeed for that information- very greatly appreciated and I'm sure Liz will be delighted with it too! Interestingly both she and I are across the water in Guernsey but related to each other through the Helleurs of Jersey!

Again, many thanks for your time and effort,

Andy

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=bristol170 link=topic=419261.msg2846808#msg2846808

Hi there. I might be able to help you with this one.

I two am a direct descendent of Francis & Esther Helleur (nee Amy) through their son Francis Helleur born 1837. Esther had a brother Philip Amy. Their parents were Phillip Amy and Esther Carrel, the Carrel's were fron Normandy France. Philip and Esther had three children Anne Jeanne (some times listed as Jane) b 1831, Emelle Eleonore b 1834 and my Francis born 1837, Francis was a master mariner and died at sea, he married Mary Jane Connelly and they had three children and so the line goes on. I have both the Amy and Helleur trees if you are interested. This is the first time I have seen someone also related to this line of Helleur!

date=1258209854]
Hi

hoping someone can help with a few requests please for a friend who cannot travel herself? First is birth lookup for:

Anne Jeanne Helleur b. abt 1829, possibly St. Helier, dtr of Francois Helleur and Esther Amy

second is

Esther Amy b. abt 1806- we have no parent details, same lady mentioned above.

third is confirmation of a marriage date of

Elie Romeril and Marthe Helleur, which I have as 27 Jan 1744 St. Brelade, however I've seen a conflicting report taken apparently from a Société Jerriaise record suggesting a date in 1745, possibly in St. Helier, is correct?

Any help gratefully received!

Andy

[/quote]

Offline Toni Helleur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I am so excited to find this!!!! We are from New Zealand, my Dad Murray Helleur is  5th generation NZ and is eldest son to Norman Clarence and Joyce Aimee Helleur (nee Hammond).  Dad is from the line from which I have been reading about in the forum!  I have been desperately trying to find information as I am off to France May this year, to purely see where Dads roots is from but we have had no luck with information!

The Helleur's arrived to NZ from (Jersey) we have been told and set sail landing in Akaroa, Christchurch, New Zealand.  Every Helleur in New Zealand is related. 

Dad has done genealogy as well and would love to get in touch with others following the same tree!

Cheers Toni Helleur

Offline mirella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 March 10 05:13 GMT (UK) »
hi tony - i am trying to assist my godmother who is in her 80s to trace her helleur ancestry - her grandfather was frederick helleur who married eliza harrington in nz - date unknown - they had the following children
florence b1858, elizabeth b 1860, ellen born 1862, george born c1864, eugenie b 1866, frederick francis born 1868, lily born 1870, rose adelaide b1872, may adelaide b1877, winifred b1882

my godmother is descended through lily helleur who married john stirling taylor in 1891 - they all lived in the canterbury region of new zealand

eliza helleur is buried at le bons cemetery nr canterbury

my godmother yvonne recalls her father john henry taylor telling her that his grandfather frederick used to sing to him in french - they believe he was a mariner/seaman and born in the channel islands but have not been able to trace his parents
does anyone know of this family and if so we would be grateful for any information about how we can obtain information about when they arrived in nz  - many thanks in anticipation - mirella

Offline Toni Helleur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 March 10 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mirella

Yes that is our line.  My Dad (Murray Norman Helleur b 1955) Great grandfather is FREDERICK FRANCES HELLEUR who married SOPHIA SARAH HERBET.  Frederick is Lilys brother.  Which makes my Dad a direct relation to your godmother!

Frederick and Eliza married in 1858.  Frederick was born 1830 and died 9th aug 1904.  Dad has a photo of Eliza's grave, one of her children is buried there also. 

We do not have any further info for Lily.  Can you let us know who she married, dates, children etc as this means we do not have info on Yvonne.

We do not have any information on Yvonnes fathers side TAYLOR sorry.  We can help with the HELLEUR line.

I have meet on this website a lady called Lisa who is also related and decends from the AMY family line from FRANCOIS HELLEUR who married ESTER AMY.  She is helping us fill in some blanks.

So it would be really great if all three of us keep in touch. 

We live in Auckland.  Are you close by at all?

Offline mirella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 10 07:29 GMT (UK) »
toni - thank you so very much for your response - feeling really excited that we are making progress now - yvonne will be delighted - she lives in the usa and i am in australia - i dont have any connection to the helleur family but am really interested in helping her with her research - lily helleur born 1870 nz died in rural nsw in 1923

in 1891 she married john stirling taylor and they had the following children
john henry taylor born 1891 (yvonne's father) married minnie margaret oxford in australia where yvonne was born -

alexander norman taylor born 1894 died gallipolli8/8/1915 - his name is inscribed on the nz memorial at chunuk bair turkey

violet mabel taylor born 1896 died manly nsw  1938
leslie stirling taylor born 1898 died ?
allan hood taylor born 1899 died 1978 australia
stillborn child born 1901
myrtle evelyn taylor born 1903 died ?

(have to get a couple of dates of death and marriages from yvonne)

do you know when frederick helleur arrived in australia?  yvonne thought he was a mariner but doesnt know much else except he was french

were his parents those mentioned above on this site - frederic and esther nee amy?

i couldnt find those details on the lds site

do you know anything about eliza harrington?

sorry for all these questions - i am feeling quite excited and will email yvonne straight away

looking forward to hearing from you again - kind regards ruth coomber

Offline mirella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 10 07:38 GMT (UK) »
hi again toni - i need to correct a few things in my previous very excited email to you - i meant to say do we know when frederick arrived in new zealand - he was not in australia ever!    yvonne thinks they settled in the akaroa (?) area and all seemed to live around canterbury or dunedin

also i meant to say were his parents francois and esther ?

i saw from one of the other messages that there were three children but they didnt mention frederick - interesting to see one of the sons was a master mariner because yvonne thought her great grandfather was - wondering how to put her in contact with you - not sure she would find this site and move around it easily - thought i would give you her email address if that is ok - will just check with her first - regards ruth