Author Topic: BLAIN married Annie WALKER.  (Read 13558 times)

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BLAIN married Annie WALKER.
« on: Friday 11 March 05 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Seeking info for Annie Walker, married to ??? Blain.
They lived in Norley, Cheshire. 1917. Would like to contact any
relations. Annie was the sister of Frank Walker b 1889 Cheshire. Frank left England and settled in Canada. Their parents names may have been John and Helen. They were apparently farmers.
Annie was listed as next of kin on Frank's Canadian Expeditionary
Force Papers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The family does not know where in Cheshire that any of the family were born.
Please help Frank's daughters find their family!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: BLAIN married Annie WALKER.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 05 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley,

Welcome to Rootschat.

I've been trying to find Frank on the 1891 census- there are only three possibles....but none have parents with the names you suggested.Do you have an exact date of birth for Frank.Is Annie older or younger than him.Were there any other kids? Or could he be Francis?
An awful lot of  Cheshire folk were farmers it is a very green county  ;D
so it may be difficult to pinpoint them by profession.

Are there any other christian names that run through the family?

I'm sure one of us can find them- we just might need a small clue ;D

Bye for now

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 05 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
Thanks for the reply. We have been searching for Frank for a very many years. The info I have has been taken from his 1918 Attestation Papers and his marriage cert.
His birthdate is supposedly April 15 1889 Cheshire.
He was Protestant, He was a groom by trade.
His sister, Mrs. Annie Blain lived in Norley nr Warrington in 1918
His marriage cert. states his parents names as John and Helen.
His daughters have one picture...the names on it are Robert and
Harry. His childrens names are Margaret , Irene Marion b 1924, Earl & Martha Elaine.
When his daughter Margaret applied for a Passport, She would have been approx 65, her birth cert. came back with the middle name of Davis. She had no prior knowledge that she even had a
middle name and does not know the reason for it.
Irene tells me that Frank's Grandmothers name was Charlotte Walker and that her father wanted to call her "Maude"
I decided to try to find relations on the Blain side, as this seems
the only road to follow. I looked up Norley, Cheshire and found it just down the road from Kingsley. My sister used to live at Blake Lees Farm, Kingsley and my youngest daughter spent her first Christmas at Blake Lees. Divine providence?? Walker and Blain seem to be popular names in the area.
Anything we have come across the name "Frank" was used but we have also checked for "Francis"
He used to tell his children that he was born in the place, the cheese was named after.
I live in Canada, so searching can be difficult.
Would there have been some sort of directory?
If anything had happened to Frank during the war, how would a
letter get to Annie Blain in Norley?
Thanks for your help.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 March 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shelley

Despite the extra info I am stil not having any luck with this one.
I think this may well be one for Peter  ;D as he has access to earlier censuses and may be able to find John and Helen Walker together.

Thanks Peter  :-*

Carol

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    Like Carol I have searched the Norley area for a sighting of Frank or Annie, with no luck, so searched the whole of Cheshire census and BMD records again no matches.
     What I have done is to find you a list of Blains and Walkers living in Norley or Kingsley in 2003 can I suggest write to then, you never know you may get lucky. I will send you these seperatley
      The electoral indexes of around 1918 do not show wifes as they did not get the vote until the late 1920's and I do not have acsess to them. They will have a copy at the Cheshire records office and it should not take them long to find her if she is still around in the 1930's

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.htm

Can you tell us when he emmigrated and who with ?

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 02:04 GMT (UK) »
I wish I knew.... I would think that he would have been approx. 15/16 but I am not sure. We do not know if he came with anyone. The story goes that his father was into Dairy farming and Frank loved horses and didn't want anything to do with dairy farming. His father was enraged and I do not know if he threw Frank out or just became unbearable to live with.
His mother supposedly gave him some money to come to Canada. Thank you so much for your help. The next step is writing letters. Will keep you informed as to progress.
I didn't know about Rootschat.com until last week when I posted the messages, I am ecstatic that I found it.
I will certainly be letting others know about this great site!
Take care and Thanks again.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Shelley

On the Canadian death certs it gives the length of time as a resident there.
And also confirms parent's names.You mention his attestation papers.
It has been known for lads to fib al ittle to get into the services you know ;D
You need to get  hold of Frank's dearh cert to confirm some of the info you already have from the marriage one.

Do you know if Annie and hubby had kids? You can check this out on the pay per view site 1837online.It gives the mothers maiden name after 1912.So should be much easier to find out if you do indeed have the correct person.
Also a way of tracking her marriage down.

The fact that he gave her name as next of kin-either suggests both parents had died,or that they had a major falling out as you suspect.How sad :(

All the best,

Carol

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a long shot I know but I've found a burial at St John's, Norley as follows:
11 JAN 1961 Annie BLAIN of The Mount, Norley a86y

You can find some Parish Records for Kingsley and also Norley at this web address:

http://www.geocities.com/sbarnowl/index.html

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Well done Odessa ;D

Checking the info on 1837online tells me that she was 86.Making her birth around 1875,I'll look on some censuses later to see if we can tie any Annie's and Franks' together now.

The ref, if you think this may be correct Shelley is, Runcorn district 10a page 659 in the March quarter of 1961.Lets hope it is the correct Annie and that she did in fact stay in Norley al her married life ;)

I think she may well have been Frank's big sister and therefore perhaps the parents had indeed died quite a few years earlier.

All the best

Carol