Author Topic: Roberts Family-Sussex  (Read 8630 times)

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family-Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 September 13 20:56 BST (UK) »
Do any of the descendants of Edward T Roberts know of the fate of his son, Edward, born 1854--in particular, did he migrate to New York and marry an Elizabeth.  There exists a NYC census that shows an Edward Roberts born about 1854 in England whose occupation was engineer and I believe him to be my grandmother's stepfather.
BAE

Offline James Malley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 January 20 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I have a book here (Penzance in Cornwall), Uncle Tom's Cabin, which I just bought, basically for the age of print 1853. Plus, I always love the personal inscriptions sometimes found in the inside cover. This particular inscription caught my attention: Emma Roberts, presented by her nephew, Edward Thomas, August 19, 1853.

First, I noticed the date written in the American order.
The next curious thing, when I Googled the names, were that Emma Roberts and Edward Thomas which appear linked in your published family tree.

I am just wondering, given the names  relation, and dates, if I could have a Roberts - Thomas heirloom here?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 January 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »
HI James,

Welcome to RootsChat

That sounds quite exciting.  Hope BAE can return to see your message.

The original poster BAE (who lives in the USA) has not been online since 20 June 2014, if they are not receiving notifications of the thread Sarah (owner/administrator) would be able to let you know.

Sandra

Edit  1914 -  to 2014  :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 January 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Well I may be old, but it wasn't me who signed on in 1914--maybe 2014.

James, I am impressed by your sleuthing.  Although, I have both Emma Roberts and Edward Thomas in my tree on ancestry.com, I don't believe they are related.  They are there simply as a research aid to follow clues I may have dug up.

As to Edward Roberts (1854-1912), I have traced him to Somerville, Massachusetts, USA where he  had a family.  Also not far from his older brother William (1839-1912) who lived in Provincetown, Massachusetts, USA. 

Still no definite answers as to the Edward Roberts in the 1892 NY census.

Barry Edwards
Portland, Oregon, USA