Author Topic: Banger Family  (Read 5268 times)

Offline pbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banger Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Richard,

Thanks for all of the help and information.  I did find the record of baptism record of George Banger at Yetminster listing Samuel and Jane as parents and Samuel as Postman of Chetnole.  I saw Levi as well, but noticed that his parents were listed as Samuel and Ann, not Jane, but it did note Samuel as Postmaster at Chetnole, so Ann could be a typo. Interesting note, George's son, George Jr., was the longtime Postmaster of La Porte City Iowa.

I looked at the online will, but that is a different Samuel, but still good informaiton because it listed his wife (Sarah) and children and will help to eliminate other potentials I had.

I did see the marriage in Yetminster in 1806 between Samuel Banger and Jane White.  That would appear to be them.  It said Samuel was from Bittaford which is in Devon County.  Unfortunately, their OPC page doesn't seem nearly as easy to use or well organized as the Dorset one (neither is Somerset's for that matter) and I did not have any luck tracking down him there. On the 1828 will for Samuel, Postman/Chetnole, I have his date of death as 1826, so I'm not sure if that's the right one.  I'm going to go ahead and order it and see.

Patrick

Offline Petetheplumber

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banger Family
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

This is about 8 years after your original query. I maintain a database of BANGERS. There were many of them living in Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire in the 1800s. There was a George Banger Born in Yetminster Dorset in 1822 to Samuel and Jane Banger. George had siblings Samuel, William John, Elizabeth Jane, and Thomas. George died in Iowa on 28 Nov 1901.
George's Grandfather, also Samuel, married Ann Oram. After Ann's death Samuel married Sarah Gibbings. I am descended from that union. I can probably give you more detail, if required. I hope this reaches you after such a longer time. Regards, Peter