Author Topic: Irwin Family from St. Georges London, and Bethnal green. COMPLETED  (Read 11933 times)

Offline Kiwi_Claire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irwin Family from St. Georges London, and Bethnal green. COMPLETED
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 June 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
Here's a picture of George Cottell Batcheler in his early 20s.

Offline Louiseandkate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, I do hope you are still on this site.   I'm a new user to roots web and found your posts in Nov 2009 regarding angels and angelo Irwin.    These are my 2nd and 3rd times grandfathers.   I have not looked for either of their siblings but so would like to follow the lines down.  I will make notes of the info already in the messages but if you have any further info I would be so grateful.  Many thanks in anticipation!
Kind regards
Carol

Offline melodiustenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 January 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was Sarah Ann Louise Irwin, daughter of Benjamin & Sarah Irwin.
Sarah Ann Louise Irwin was born in New Zealand in 1884 and married Thomas Ockold Wheeler.
I remember visiting her sister in Thames, who was Gertrude Irwin (never married as her sweetheart died in WWI) but I knew her as Auntie Tot. Gertrude Isobel Irwin died in 1976 when I was a teenager.

I was just looking up the St Georges East and Bethnal Green history of the Irwin family, and see that Angelo John Irwin's father John Irwin (my 4th gt grandfather) had a beer shop in Spencer St, St George's, in 1843 (or was the keeper of this place).

I would presume that this place no longer exists. It was called the Anchor & Hope beer shop, located in Spencer Street, but I can't find any record of such a place.

There seem to be a number of family connections who were in the workhouse (or one of them) in the area.  Is there any documented history of local workhouses in St George's area?

Offline melodiustenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 January 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I do hope you are still on this site.   I'm a new user to roots web and found your posts in Nov 2009 regarding angels and angelo Irwin.    These are my 2nd and 3rd times grandfathers.   I have not looked for either of their siblings but so would like to follow the lines down.  I will make notes of the info already in the messages but if you have any further info I would be so grateful.  Many thanks in anticipation!
Kind regards
Carol

Hi Carol,
Well we are related.  I suppose you have fleshed out some of this information since you posted. I have some of the siblings information, and it has of course been helpful to connect the dots with some of the RootsChat information.
cheers
Lianne (NZ)

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Irwin family of London
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Constance Mary Irwin of Walthamstow. My mother married an Irwin from Victoria (Australia) whose father was from London too.
I'll give further info if anyone's interested.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill