Author Topic: Accident in Coal Pit 1884  (Read 2567 times)

Offline drewruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Accident in Coal Pit 1884
« on: Tuesday 17 November 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to get further info about and accident to my grandfather in a coal pit (unknown). John Wilson, aged 12, was run over by a coal waggon on the 11th March 1884. He was taken to Edinburgh Royal and had his right leg amputated.

I got this info from the Scottish Mining website and have also had great help from fellow Rootschatters - can anyone add anything please?

John was living at Gavieside, West Calder at the time. He later went on to be a tailor and spent the rest of his life in Stirling.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Accident in Coal Pit 1884
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Scottish Mining website is about as good as it gets.  You might find something in the Scotsman Archives, for the price of a 24-hour subscription.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline JSHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
It would be brilliant if this is your grandfather but I just wanted to sound a note of caution.  There is very limited information given in the newspaper report to tie this to any specific person, so there is a chance this is not him, particularly as John Wilson is a relatively common name.  495 people were injured in collieries in 1884, but on the website we currently have 42 non-fatal injuries detailed for that year. I would imagine our coverage of non-fatal accidents is similarly poor for other years.   Hope this doesn't all sound too negative – I would love to think you have found him!

There appears to be no record of this particular accident in the Inspectors reports for that year, although names are only published for one of the two Scottish districts.

I would suggest 2 routes for more information:
A local newspaper report might have more information (or it may only give the same detail as the Scotsman).  You could try West Lothian Council local history library who have the West Lothian courier on microfilm.  The Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser also often has good coverage of this part of West Lothian – Airdrie local studies library might help if you contacted them.

It mentions he was taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.  I've never consulted their records but if they have anything similar to Glasgow you might get details of his admission.  Perhaps someone who has consulted them can advise, but if not google Lothian health services archives.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Joyce (from the Scottish Mining website)

Offline drewruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the help, and for the word of caution. However, on this occasion virtually everything ties up. His age and address are correct, and the report confirms the story that he has told the family over the years.

I have sent a request for info to the ERI and await their response.

Much obliged again for the responses.

Drewruss