Author Topic: Birth Certificate in Antigua?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline anniemo60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certificate in Antigua?
« on: Tuesday 17 November 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was born in 1859.  For many years we thought he was Jamaican.  We could not find a birth certificate though.
However,  we now have a couple of documents saying he was actually born in Antigua.
One of the documents was from the crewmen log on a ship which he worked on.  As it has his signature which matches the signature we have for him. And....the ship he worked on has the correct ships name.  "West Riding" it must be my Great Grandfather.
I am now having problems finding out who to contact in Antigua to obtain a copy of his Birth Certificate.  I have not had any luck so far with the Registrar General's Office.  :(
Does anyone know another way to obtain this birth certificate?  If not, I would be happy to be given a contact in Antigua, perhaps a Geneologist, who could do this for me?
Many thanks Anniemo

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate in Antigua?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 10 10:03 BST (UK) »
You might find some useful information on this site:
http://rwguide.rootsweb.ancestry.com/lesson6.htm

Susan

Offline anniemo60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Susan.  I will try that very soon. Yours was the only reply I have had, so I am extremely grateful. to you.

I was recently told it may be on Microfilm with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

I was wondering if all the Churches have the microfilm or if I have to actually go to one Church in particular?  Would you know anything about them too?

Best wishes Ann

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Have you tried searching this LDS site:
http://beta.familysearch.org/

Once you have identified which film contains the record, then you would need to get your local LDS library to order in the film for you.  I believe there is a charge and you have use of the film in their library for a specified period of time.  I've never ordered in film so I'm only stating information that I've read.

Perhaps you could contact your LDS library to find out what there process is.

If you would like to give the name of your great grandfather, approx date of birth, parents' names if known and any other useful information, I'm sure that some of the very helpful and experienced Rootschatters will be pleased to help with the search.

I'm not experienced in searching in countries other than the usual...UK, Scotland, USA and Canada...but was intrigued when I saw your post and wondered how one actually gets records from some of these far away places.  A google search lead me to the website that I gave you which seemed to offer information and websites for many places around the world.

Good luck.
Susan

Offline anniemo60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help. Susan.  I intend to ring my local LDS library tomorrow as you suggested.
I have never had any replies from the record office in Antigua though.

I have just bought a second hand book from Amazon called, "Ancestors" by Paul Crooks.  He gives quite a detailed explanation, of how he traced his family back, several centuries to West Africa. Very interesting book. He also gives many tips on possible contacts, who may be able to help.

I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions.  It is complicated as the family story was that he was Jamaican.  We now have documents where he himself has written, that he was born in Antigua.  Also... Antigua joined up with other Islands for a time, so records could be in Monserrat and Leeward Islands too.

Thank you Susan, for your suggestion that Rootschatter's may be able to help.

My Great Grandfather's name was Everard Lynch.  He was born in Antigua in 1859.  His Father was a Carpenter called John Lynch.  We don't have his Mother's name.
We have a Registration Ticket from The Shipping Federation and the Crew Agreement from "West Riding"
He was a sailmaker on this ship which sailed from London to Freemantle in Australia. The voyage ended in 1894.
The other thing we have,[ I am not sure how to use this info?] is a letter from his very good friend Lavington Cumberbatch.
Writing from "Post Office, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada." To: E. Lynch, "West Riding" Freemantle, Western Australia, dated:21st March [1893 or 1894?]

After this voyage he stayed in England and married my Great Grandmother Kezia Martin.
I have probably written far too much now but would be grateful for any suggestion.  I have also attached a photo of Everard and Kezia.

Thanks for all your help and interest Susan.  Best wishes Ann

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

What wonderful photos....you are so fortunate to have these!!

I found this website which is quite interesting....you may have discovered it already.  In the Caribbean Surname Index section, under Surnames beginning with L, there are a few posts regarding the Lynch surname.
http://www.candoo.com/genresources/faq.html

I will keep looking around to see if I can uncover anything more.  Please let me know how you get on with the LDS.

Good luck,
Susan

Offline anniemo60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan,  I have just registered with candoo.com.  Very interesting.  The moderator is a Lynch as well but probably not the same family.  I will look study his email again later, and put my thionking cap on. I will also post the details on the website.

I was going to ring the local LDS today but they are only open Tuesday & Wednesday, so will need to ring tomorrow.
 I have managed to do some on-line searches, though their Family Search website though.  I was able to find the index of Civil Registrations in Antigua. 1856 to 1935. And...now possess a microfilm number.  I think they have to order it, then I go and view the film.  I am getting excited now!

I certainly feel a bit more positive.  Will keep in touch.  Best wishes Ann

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 September 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
Good news, Ann.  It sounds as though you're making some progress. 

I have been feeling very bad because of the lack of replies to your posting on RC.  I think it's an area of research than not many have undertaken.

Please do keep in touch.  I'm really interested in knowing how you get on.

Warm regards,
Susan

Offline anniemo60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
Please don't feel bad as you have helped a lot! 

I registered with the Caribean Surnames index.  There is a lot of stuff on the surname of Lynch.  [As you said]  In fact the moderator is also a Lynch and he has been really helpful, sending me a long interesting email and some other stuff linking to Lynch's.

Better still he did a couple of IGI index searches for me. While he did not find an Everard Lynch.  He did find a John Lynch who could possibly?  :o   be Everards Father?!
Now I have written it sounds too simple.  But...you never know.

The Family History Centre simply don't answer the phone!  I am suppose to ring first to order the microfim, I wish to view.  So...I have emailed instead & given my phone number.  Hopefully I may be able to trawl through the Lynch birth's, registered in Antigua, soon.

Don't be disheartened Susan, you have been really helpful.  Will let you know if I find anything else.
All the best.  Ann