Author Topic: cornelious cadle. engineer and general mill furnisher  (Read 4742 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
cornelious cadle. engineer and general mill furnisher
« on: Tuesday 17 November 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
with regards to the above rellie, mr. cadle, who as described had an engineering firm in wellington quay, dublin.
 i have discovered that, around 1888,  he may have patented a contraption called the " double perfection" some kind of turbine, i think and something else called the "wiley oil cabinet".
 does anyone know where i can confirm, or refute these, and if modern types of these inventions are still in use?
 i know his sons george and frederick were also engineers/inventors, also, in fact, i believe george patented the seals one used to get around jam jar lids etc. though he emigrated to america and carried on his work there.
any info/help on this would be gratefully received
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: cornelious cadle. engineer and general mill furnisher
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
there's a mention of the Cadle business and the two devices in this online book scan :

"The Industries of Dublin. Historical, statistical, biographical. An account of the leading business men, commercial interests, wealth and growth"

see : http://www.archive.org/stream/industriesofdubl00lond/industriesofdubl00lond_djvu.txt

extract : "Conelius Cadle, Engineer and General Mill Furnisher, 39, Wellington Quay...... The firm is sole adjacent for William Furness & Co., Saw Mill Engineers, of Liverpool, and the connection it has formed for this house is of no inconsiderable nature. A prominent specialty is made of the "Turbine wheel," patented in iSSS[??] under the style of the "Double perfection." It may also be mentioned that Mr. Cadle manufactures the "Wiley Oil Cabinet," a handy contrivance for the storage of oil, an arrangement which will be found of beneficial use to engineers, etc., who require different kinds of oil for lubricating machinery..... "

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
thanks shane,
that confirms what i was told, so some family stories are not all myth, wonder if his devices were a success?
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have not found anything on the devices mentioned but I suspect that the "double perfection turbine" is either some improvement to a water wheel - similar to a Pelton style wheel with double buckets, or possibly some improvement to the recently invented (Parsons 1884) steam turbine, such as the addition of the static blades.

in Thom's 1914 he is listed at :

48 Lower Gardiner street , Cornelius Cadle, engineer and general millwright

Cornelius is listed in Thom's of 1904, 1894 & 1884 as :

39 Wellington quay, Cornelius Cadle, engineer & general mill furnisher

In 1877 there is a Mr. Cornelious Cadle without a listed trade at 35 Montpelier Hill

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »
shane,
thanks for the extra info, i have his address in 1904 and 1914, the 1877 could well be him, his eldest son was born in 1875 in dublin, so was already there at the time, though i have no idea when he actually moved to dublin.
steve

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Stephen 7

In an advert. on Page 1 of the Irish Times for 6th October 1894 reference is made to a C.Cadle at No.39 Wellington Quay.
For 26th April 1876 the I.T. shows the death of Cornelius John (son of Cornelius and Anne Caddle) at No.35 Montpelier Hill and on 21st October 1876 the birth of a child to Cornelius Caddle there.
Slaters 1894 shows C.C. at 39 Wellington Quaywith a residence at No.24 Windsor Road Rathmines. The I.T. shows on 18th March 1890 the death  of Albert Ernest son of Cornelius & Anne Cadle(sic) at No.24

Regards       Quaxer

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
QUAXER,
 thanks for that, do you know where i could get copies of the IT showing this info?
cheers
steve

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
the Irish Times archive is available online (for a fee) at : http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html

It's also available on microfilm & binders (depending on the years) in the National Library in Dublin, and other libraries around the country. I know the films of the Times in the library here in Dublin were made by the British Library - so maybe copies of these are available elsewhere ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
There are a good few Cadle obits in the newspaper archives, just checked your tree, Eileen Cadle married William S Agar aged 93 died 2000, another for a Joan 1956. PM me with your email and I will send you a few on.

Brendan