Author Topic: TOOLEY family  (Read 18717 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLEY family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 April 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Carol, and also many thanks for everyones help here....but..well you know...some men cannot be satisfied  :)

I have managed to locate the parent of Elizabeth Hopcroft who I believe is my Great (x4) Grandmother. However I seem not to be able to locate her Husbands Henry Tooley's birth details, (including his mum and dads names).  At least they do not to be on the Ancestry or findmypast.coms websites. I believe he was born around 1786, (based on the 1841 census) in Oxfordshire. I know there was talk of the Tooleys coming from London and i cut and paste what i saw on the internet below. None of this may be able to be proven but I am sure anyone connected with the family would find it added a little colour to their research, (of course someone out there may have even more info?)

'Story told in the family of the family owning land in Tooley street, that was there winter camping ground and that the family were Romany Gypsies from Europe. They tried to prove ownership when the Grandfather died but could not prove his birthright, otherwise they would have been very rich. I have been in contact with others researching the origins and the name seems to stem from the pronunciation of St. Olive a church on tooley street with origins in Norman times. I have not yet found a gypsy in the family tree but I have found that most were agricultural labourers'

Dam....i could have ended up wealthy!!!  :)

Regards

Eric

Offline classic22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just come across your message about looking for information on Henry Tooley. He was my great, great, great grandfather. He was bapt on the 4th August 1782 in Bletchingdon, married Elizabeth Ovenall on the 16th December 1807, sadly she died the same night. He married again on the 20th January 1812 to Elizabeth Hopcroft.
They had three children:- William [my gt, gt grandfather], born 10th May 1818, he married Lydia Woodward on the 8th Nov 1838.
Mary born 1828, she married William west in 1873.
And Ann born 1826, but think she died that yr.

Henry's parents were Thomas Tooley bapt 10th Dec 1738 in Bicester. He married Mary Meeks on the 5th October 1758 in Kidlington. They had 7 children Henry being the youngest.
Would be interested if you have found any more information on this family if they are the same Tooleys that you looking at.

Lynn

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 January 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
i have a keziah tooley born brill oxon 1800 i have not persued this yet since my main search is saunders hope this helps [brill is also called ibsden]

Offline classic22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric
Thank you for the message, unfortually it wont let me reply by private msg.
I do have a lot of information on James Henry, and him and my gt grandfather were brothers. Did you know that Alfred had 7 siblings, sadly the oldest died the year that Alfred was born.
You said that Alfred had one daughter Elizabeth May, do you know what her husbands name was?

I myself havent done any family history for a while, just took a break from it as was coming up against a lot of brick walls. Though do keep going back to it. It is nice to know that i have a distant relative out there.

Regards
Lynn

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Where in the country do you live.

Eric

Offline classic22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

I live in Manchester

Lynn

Offline classic22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Moira, i came across your interest in Edwin Tooley. I have quite a bit of information on him. Edwin was my gt grandfathers nephew. I don't know what information you have so i will just give you the information that i have.
He was born on the 17th Nov 1867 in Meriden, married Kate Heritage in 1888 in Birmaingham and died 18th January 1956 in Derby. They had 8 children:- Edwin Albert, Leonard, Marjorie, Evelyn, James henry, Doris, Mary and Alfred.
In 1901 he was a Butcher. In 1911 they lived at 12 Hadbourne Street Derby
In Edwins will it looks like he left his estate to Mary Bignal [wife of Edward Bignal], which was edwin's daughter. There is big gaps between the children's births, there could have been more or could have been miscarriages.
Kates parents were Joseph and Eliza Heritage. Kate died in 1933 aged 62. Edwin was 88 when he died.
Hope this helps
Lynn

Online Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 June 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lynn for your information on Edwin Tooley. I have found him on each of the census and the  1939 register and have details of his marriage and children.
I have not yet purchased a copy of his will so cannot confirm that his daughter ,Mary Maria Bignall was the major beneficiary , I had assumed she was just one of the executors .
Best wishes, Moira

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
I have sarah aucott married to mynett/mynott tooleyin 1876 and tracked them back to William tooley and Lydia. Willian born about 1818 in handborough, got the father as henry but nt searched for henrys marriage yet. Sarah aucott married john james sharratt in 1882 in tamworth. Sharratt is my maternal grandmothers line.
jean