Author Topic: How far would a miller go?  (Read 10934 times)

Offline phill100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How far would a miller go?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Dumfries to Dunbarton would have been quite a distance, assuming that there may not have been any direct transport links(?) That would indicate that some young men would have had to travel a long way from home to take up an apprenticeship. It is interesting that the son was not apprenticed to his dad, but perhaps it was the dad's contacts that enabled the apprenticeship to be organised? Many thanks for your respopse - a 100 miles from Markfield certainly  opens up the field to be searched a bit wider than I had earlier considered feasible.

The Mills Archive would be good cause to help as they certainly are doing a great job (I had some contact with them some time ago) - at the moment I am working in Germany, so can't volunteer in Reading - but have volunteered to do some internet based transcribing instead.

And thanks Larry - I didn't know there were relatively fewer Millers in the UK than elsewhere, nor that an apparent question about the honesty of millers might have been the reason (all the Miller families I have known were honest!)

Now I am not sure whether to believe that my miller was totally honest or not - he was also apparently a Parish Clerk so perhaps that evens the reputation a bit.

I suppose the distance a miller, whether fully qualified or ready to be apprenticed, had to travel may also have depended on how many mills there were in any particular area - did Sussex, for example, have a relatively high number of mills, whereas the area around Dumfries did not?

Phill

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
My gggrandfather and ggrandfather were Millers in Sussex. Gggrandfather was a miller at Windmill Hill in 1841 and later with his sons at Coxes Mill Dallington and Darwell Mill Brightling.Ggrandfather who was at Coxes and Darwell in 1860s was at Heath Mill Pulborough in 1871 and then by 1891 was in Yarmouth I.O.W --I think still working. By 1901 he is in Somerset -retired but living near Gants Mill in Bruton. I think there must be a family connection with this mill as my grandmother liked to visit.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Phill

I'm having great fun tracing the Stonyer millers in my family. As far as I can see, they all worked watermills. The earlist confirmed location I have is Sides Mill, midway between Snelston and Mayfield on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire borders. Then, I have various christenings that put them in London, Surrey; St Albans, Herts; and Atherstone in Warwickshire. From there they made their way to Shropshire to the area around Chelmarsh, working mills at Wrickton, Deuxhill, and Eudon; Belbroughton at Bell End Mill in Worcestershire, now demolished to make way for road widening  :'(; and Lower Mitton (Stourport), also in Worcestershire. I also have records of christenings in Wombourne, which possibly points to Smetsow Mill, Seighford and Checkley. There is a tentative link to Sutton Coldfield in the mid 1600s via a Stonyer "grynder" whose will requests he is buried in Sutton Coldfield churchyard, and other tentative links to other mills in Staffordshire - viz Blythe Bridge and Great Bridgford.

Most census returns list the millers as "journeyman", which implies they were hired for the job by the mill owner. Most maps seems to show that they occupied a house and possibly several acres of land alongside the mill. Clearly they were very mobile, with the sons moving to new mills when they had completed whatever apprenticeships were necessary, or when the ownership of the mill changed hands. A lot of my links are tentative based on groups of chistenings and the use of first names that seem to be common in the family. An unusual surname also helps a little, although it's frequently mis-spelt, and on occasion just left as an initial!

Finally, one Stonyer miller made his way to New Zealand where he firmly established himself and his sons as millers, and developing machinery for processing flax, too. I found over 2000 newspaper references for him and his family (most advertisements, but some really "juicy" stuff too  ;D ;D )

I've used the Mills Archive to try and trace my ancestors, but the information there is very scant considering just how many mills there must have been. Tim Booth of the Midland Mills group has been very useful: he has actually resored Wrickton Mill where my Gt Gt Grandfather worked with his uncle.  However, as the mill workers were probably not the mill owners, there's precious few actual records that can be found. Some mills may have belonged to larger estates, and it may be possible to find references in the estate records, but whether records of millers hired have been kept is another matter.

One intersting side note is the number of children who became engineers rather than following on the milling tradition, so it would seem that millers must have been, as a rule, reasonably well educated, practical people.

I have heard that they were not popular, though, as people often suspected them of handing back less flour milled that grain supplied  :o

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was a miller in West Suffolk in the 1740s as a young man. By 1753 he was in Dennington, Suffolk at a mill according to an old document. In 1760 he and his wife had a son baptised in Laxfield. These villages are 25 or more miles away from their birth parishes.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have a g-g-grandfather who owned Pimm's Yard, a corn mill in Wandsworth, Surrey. Several generations of the family lived in South Street, just down the road, and they owned the mill for about a century.

I'm no professional, but my miller ancestos never left Wandsworth.
Hope this helps a bit.

Offline cattlemechanic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »

I'm having great fun tracing the Stonyer millers in my family. As far as I can see, they all worked watermills. The earlist confirmed location I have is Sides Mill, midway between Snelston and Mayfield on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire borders.
David

Hi David/all,

I am converting the old mill building at Sides Mill in Snelston and found this whilst tracing the history of the buildings and farm where my in-laws have been for 47 years (12 pages so far going back to the 1200's.)  PLEASE contact me with all/any info you have on the Stonyers at Sides Mill.......not one I have heard of yet!

David

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Some of my ancestors were involved in milling in Rimpton and other parts of Somerset  in the 18th and 19th centuries. The mills were rented from the Diocese of Salisbury, whose diocesan records are lodged in the Hampshire Record Office at Winchester. I found the records most useful, and it is worth bearing in mind if you can't find records in what seems to be the geographically correct record office.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ashbourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 January 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Stonyers. John Stonyer was married twice at Snelston, both times by license. Firstly in 1772 to Sarah Fletcher of Cubley & secondly to Sarah Harrison of Dovebridge. He was a miller.Sarah Stonyard? of SidesMill was buried in 1790. John & Alice Stonyer had chidren baptised at Mayfield & Snelston between 1756 & 1766 but I can't find a baptism for John (around 1749) to link him with them.

Offline cattlemechanic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashbourne.  Thanks for that - most interesting.  I have an advert for 1784 showing the mill to be lett as a "cotton mill" formerly a leather mill.  Possibly a change in use with the interest in cotton around that time?