Author Topic: Reidys of Castleisland  (Read 13137 times)

Offline nannan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reidys of Castleisland
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any info on the Reidy family of Castleisland, County Kerry, Ireland. In particular Maurice Reidy b. 1859, parents Thomas Reidy and Mary Eagar.

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reidys of Castleisland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I have picked up 3 siblings of Maurice. Thomas, Mary & John all births are recorded in Brosna, Co Kerry 1866-1874

Brendan

Offline nannan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 09 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brendan, thanks for your reply, I've got all that info already.  I've had it for a long time, just can't seem to find any birth/christening info for my greatgrandfather Maurice Reidy. He came to the U.S. around 1880 and I've got alot of info from here, but the only info I have for his birth is Apr 1859 and his parents names.  I've written to a few Churches in Castlisland and they don't have a record for him either.  Quite the mystery!  nannan

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Parish records for Brosna/Knocknagoshel area only began in 1860's. They were seperate to Castleisland Parish which records start much earlier. So Brosna/Knocknagoshel area can be bit of a black hole anything before 1860's.

And with Civil Registration for RC not starting until 1864 you might never find a birth/baptism record.

I have alot of family in this area including Reidy's.

My great great great great grand father was Denis Reidy born c.1800
He had sons Maurice, Denis, Jeremiah and a daughter Catherine. All born in 1830's to 1840's but no records for their births/baptisms.

We actually did a bit of a Reidy DNA Project in the area and found some interesting results.

I did find the marriage of your couple

Thomas Reidy and Mary Egar married 7-Jul-1857 Roman Catholic, Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland

In Griffiths Valuation taken around 1852 for Kerry there is only one Eagar/Egar in the are. Griffiths was a list of heads of households renting property/land. Most people at the time were renting from the local gentry.

Surname Forename Townland Parish County
Eagar Edward Chapel Lane Castleisland Kerry

Edward Eagar Castleisland Griffiths Valuation

If you open the link you can click on original page icon and will be able to print as well.

Looks like this could be another one of the children

Edm. Reidy birth 29-Aug-1862 Baptised 7-Sep-1862 Roman Catholic, Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland Parents: Thomas Reidy and Mary Egan. Perhaps a mis-spelling here.

So could be possible that Edward Eagar in Griffiths was Mary father and one the first son's was named after him. I have found in the area that Edward and Edmond/Edmund were often use for the same man.

Ger

Offline patty81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Can I ask who this is as I have been told Maurice Reidy is my great grand father...my grandmother was Alice Reidy who later became Alice Flynn who is his daughter. 

Offline jcrjr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Parish records for Brosna/Knocknagoshel area only began in 1860's. They were seperate to Castleisland Parish which records start much earlier. So Brosna/Knocknagoshel area can be bit of a black hole anything before 1860's.

And with Civil Registration for RC not starting until 1864 you might never find a birth/baptism record.

I have alot of family in this area including Reidy's.

My great great great great grand father was Denis Reidy born c.1800
He had sons Maurice, Denis, Jeremiah and a daughter Catherine. All born in 1830's to 1840's but no records for their births/baptisms.

We actually did a bit of a Reidy DNA Project in the area and found some interesting results.

I did find the marriage of your couple

Thomas Reidy and Mary Egar married 7-Jul-1857 Roman Catholic, Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland

In Griffiths Valuation taken around 1852 for Kerry there is only one Eagar/Egar in the are. Griffiths was a list of heads of households renting property/land. Most people at the time were renting from the local gentry.

Surname Forename Townland Parish County
Eagar Edward Chapel Lane Castleisland Kerry

Edward Eagar Castleisland Griffiths Valuation

If you open the link you can click on original page icon and will be able to print as well.

Looks like this could be another one of the children

Edm. Reidy birth 29-Aug-1862 Baptised 7-Sep-1862 Roman Catholic, Castleisland, Kerry, Ireland Parents: Thomas Reidy and Mary Egan. Perhaps a mis-spelling here.

So could be possible that Edward Eagar in Griffiths was Mary father and one the first son's was named after him. I have found in the area that Edward and Edmond/Edmund were often use for the same man.

Ger

Offline teecee3467

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
hello, I ran on to your 2009 post and hope to hear from you. I have some interest in Reidy's of Castleisland. I have Reidy's that have prominant roles in my (O)Connell family from the Castleisland, Knocknagoshel area. My Connells emigrated to Connecticut, 1850-1880's. Reidy's that seem connected are William P Reidy who was a priest in the 1930's Manchester, CT, Dr. Maurice Reidy, Margaret Reidy Fitzpatrick, Maurice jr. and Joseph Reidy.

Offline mreidy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I am also interested in any info on Reidys from the Castleisland area  My great grandfather was Dennis Reidy who emigrated to Massachusetts from Castleisland area per the records I have found.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
There was an ambush in Castleisland on 10 Jul 1921 in which a number of British and IRA were killed

Click link for more on ambush

A curfew patrol at Castleisland of about 20 men of 2nd Loyal North Lancs was attacked in Upper Main Street, two severely wounded soldiers being taken into Reidy's pub until the fighting was over. Denis Reidy was said to have suffered great animosity from the local republicans for his humanity and his business suffered greatly for years after.

Can anyone add anything about where Reidy's pub was or indeed anything more to this story

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling