Author Topic: Windrigg Kirk, Dalton, Dumfriesshire  (Read 31708 times)

Offline balmoral2003

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windrigg Kirk, Dalton, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 21 February 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Milliebr

Thank you for your addition! My husband descends from Robert and Catherine's son William. I believe that Catherine's first husband worked with Robert? I have seen something for a Dickson and Vivers bacon curer's business.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 21 February 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I googled Vivers and found that there is a lamb and offal business in the Dumfries area

Jean  :)

Offline milliebr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 21 February 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the business has survived all these years.  If you go to http://www.top500.de/details/462/vivers_scotland_limited_united_kingdom.php  it gives details.

It would not have been unusual for my Catherine Adamson to have married a man in this business as her father had a farm and no doubt raised pigs there.

Oh how I love my Scottish heritage, rich and full of history.  Thank you for the tit bits as it all goes to make my ancestors real.

Offline pauld1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am finding this thread so interesting as am linked through my GGGG grandmother Mary Vivers.
I have been working on the Vivers in Australia,a summary of this being William Vivers b1794 son of William b1745 goes to Australia in 1822.In 1824 he sets up a farm (Murthat).He is joined later by two of his nephews,sons of Thomas b1785 these being William b1832 & Thomas b1831.
William  b1794 later expands to become Kings Plains station which passes on to Thomas & William.It is still going today,although it has been broken up over the years.
If anyone would like me to share the rest of these Aussie Vivers drop me a PM and I will happily email
whatever I can.
There is a lot to take in from this thread,what with all these Williams !!!
So much fascinating info to absorb.
Cheers
Paul
Draper,Allison,Smith,Taylor,Blake,Northway,Perkins,Goatley,Clifford,Clements

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
I found the following record of Francis Henderson at Kirklandrig in the Farm Horse Tax Rolls 1797-98

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/farm-horse-tax-rolls-1797-1798/farm-horse-tax-1797-1798-volume-02/164#zoom=3&lat=2008.09414&lon=1164.84726&layers=B

Please let me know if the link doesn't work.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks pollyman , Francis Henderson was my gggg grandfather so this is very interesting to me  :)

Offline pauld1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks from me also,Francis is also my GGGG great grandfather
Paul
Draper,Allison,Smith,Taylor,Blake,Northway,Perkins,Goatley,Clifford,Clements

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
My 5x great-grandfather was also a Francis Henderson so perhaps there is a family connection. He was the husband of Agnes Muir and his son, John, who was born in Kirkmichael in 1790 was my 4x great-grandfather. My own father was born at Mill Cottage, Murraythwaite which is in the same area as Francis farmed.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Was your Francis Henderson married to Mary Vivers?  They married in 1777 in Dalton, their daughter Ann, is my ggg grandmother