Author Topic: Albin in Richhill, Rockmacreany or Shewis  (Read 17435 times)

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albin in Richhill, Rockmacreany or Shewis
« on: Thursday 19 November 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I posted regarding this recently but thought I'd try again...

My greatgrandfather was Robert Albin b.1876 d.1962.  He was a farmer and raised in the townland of Rockmacreany (Richhill).  He married 2 different women named Jane Fullerton (1st died in 1915, married 2nd in 1917 confirmed) and I have not yet found out whether they were related.

I have received information regarding his gravestone at Richhill Presbyterian (old church) but as of yet I have not been able to locate his birth record.  I do know that his father's name was William from both of his marriage records but without that birth certificate I don't have his mother's name.

Any thoughts?  I must be missing something right?  How do I find out where the records are for Richhill Presbyterian Church?  I suppose it is possible that whomever indexed records for the Irish Family History Foundation missed his record, right?  Problem is I can't find it indexed anywhere else either, not LDS, not Emerald Ancestors.  Any leads, info or help right now would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not from Ireland so my only link is online for now.  Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albin in Richhill, Rockmacreany or Shewis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 09 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to your previous thread- it's best not to have more than one thread per subject as this causes confusion:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,414610.msg2824075.html#msg2824075

It is often the case that details are omitted from baptismal registers. Years ago when baptisms were performed at home the minister would have written the details in the register at some point afterwards and perhaps this happened in the case of Robert Albin. His birth could have been recorded without the first name being chosen yet or perhaps a different Christian name was chosen and then the parents started using the name Robert or Robert was actually his middle name. Are you sure his parents were married at the time he was born? (check for his birth registration under mother's maiden name just to be sure)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 09 20:45 GMT (UK) »
No problem.  Guess I'm getting kind of frustrated and a bit desperate but I know that I'm not the only one when it comes to tracking these hard-to-find ancestors of ours :)  I only posted again because initally I didn't include any identifying information in the Subject line and thought this might help to jog someone's memory or gain someone's interest if they had info to share.

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 November 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info as well regarding possible reasons why I can't find the record.  Although it could be possible his parents weren't married at the time of his birth, the reason why I want the birth record so badly is because I don't have his mother's name.  This is what I'm really interested in, getting that name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Is this the father William Albin in 9111?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001639031/

If so, religion given as Church of Ireland- have you checked burial register, gravestone inscriptions for the local church to see if there's any details about William's wife? If she was a local girl it's possible that she and William were even married there.

Or is this Wiliam the father? (although born c1817 so perhaps not)
"The Will of William Albin late of Rockmacraney County Armagh Farmer who died 5 February 1892 at same place was proved at Armagh by David Macartney of Ballybrockey Farmer and Elizabeth F.Albin of Rockmacraney Spinster both said County the Executors."

and could this be your Robert's mother? (only death I could find was Jan/Mar.1890 which is a year off- unless she didn't die at home)
"Administration of the estate of Ann Jane Albin late of Rockmacreaney County Armagh Widow who died 15 January 1889 granted at Armagh to Robert Albin of Rockmacreaney Farmer the Son."

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Question for you if you don't mind...Church of Ireland is Anglican correct?  My greatgrandfather Robert was married in Presbyterian churches and was buried at Richhill Presbyterian.  How likely would it be back then to change religions?  I'm sure that all of the people you mentioned above are somehow related to one another but I have yet to determine how.

I did believe that the William listed on the 1911 census was the William I was searching for but haven't made the connection yet.  He was a widower on the census so I searched for death records for female Albins who died between 1876 (Roberts birth year) and 1910 but haven't found my puzzle piece. 

Unfortunately I don't believe that Ann Jane was my William's wife.  The death record that you found lists her birth year as 1820 which is way too early.  There was another Annie Albin who died later in the year 1888 that could be the same person but again, she was born in the 1820's.

I do have a marriage for a William to Mary McMullan in 1867 but William's residence is listed as Salter's Grange.  They were married at Grange Church of Ireland.  I'm not confident it is him.  In saying that, I also have a death record for a Mary Albin d. 1880.  So confusing.

Thank you for your effort.  I'm interested to hear about the religious aspect.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 09 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Church of Ireland (Anglican) also known as Established Church but marriages usually take place in bride's church so perhaps wife/wives C. or I. To be buried in Presbyterian churchyard the family is more than likely Presbyterian.

Offline conalb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
HI,

My great-great Grandfather was Stewart Albin who was born in Armagh in 1808.  He later moved to Scotland with his family.  They belonged to the Church of Ireland inKildarton, which now takes in Richhill. I'm sure that he and your relation must have been cousins of some sort as the name is not common even in these parts. I have seen the Parish Records from Kildarton and discovered that the name was, originally, Aubiney! Some branches of the family changed it to Albin or Albany before this time. Would love to hear more from you.

Connie
Albin, Wilson, McCormick, McAlister

Offline angiewe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 November 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Robert Albin, Rockmacreany is my grandfather. He did marry two Jane Fullertons who were cousins I believe. My mum was his first child from his 2nd marriage, Eileen Albin. She died 11/10/88 aged 70. I live near to Richhill. Not sure if I can be of any more help to anyone wanting to know more about Robert Albin.