Author Topic: Barrington Buckland, Somerset  (Read 20778 times)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Barrington Buckland, Somerset
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 06 February 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
For anyone interested :

Barrington Buckland & Charlotte Buckley both buried in Chew Magna -1856 -1857

parents presumed of
Barrington - Timothy & Elizabeth
Charlotte -  Emmanuel Buckley & Aquila Draper  - Marriage Date: 28 Oct 1769
Marriage Place:    Castle-Thorpe, Buckingham, England

Children : of Barrington & Charlotte
Anne b 1794
Abraham b 1796
Timothy Dimtri b 1798 - spouse Lavina Smith -daughter of Mary Buckland/sister of Barrington
Richard b1803 - spouse  Recretia/Recresha Lovell
Delephine b 1805 - spouse Richard Parfrey
Prudence b 1807 -spouse Sidnol Smith
Amy b 1810
Purify b 1811 - Spouse Elizabeth Gane
Teni/Matilda b 1814 - Spouse John Gibbs
Lewis b 1816
Gentile b 181
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniespot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
 Tiggi
Thanks for that info. Barrington and Charlotte's childrens'names are quite interesting to me especially Gentile, as my gt gt granny Prudence Buckland ( born circa 1826) named her first child Gentilla.

Geniespot
Buckland family Somerset/Wilts
Hanks family Shoreditch
Shaddick family South Molton Devon
Pring family Milverton Somerset
Frederick William Head RAF in Gt War/Watford

Offline dmcarey2805

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hello there, my great gradmother was louisa buckland she married henry "salty" smith, (Aka:bath) they settled in ash aldershot where most of their children and childrens children etc still remain.  :)

Offline lstamboolian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
My fourth great grandfather was Richard Parfrey, married to Dollaretta Buckland. Richard was a coal miner and moved the family to Pennsylvania in the USA. They lived in Throop, PA for most of their married life. After Richard died in 1879, Dollaretta lived with her son, Timothy. She died in 1889.She is buried along side Richard in Marcy Cemetery, Old Forge, PA.
Death Certificates and Censuses show her named spelled many different ways. In an earlier post, I noticed that Richard was maybe Purify. Purify was the name of one of their sons, born 1830. My third great grandfather, Richard, was born in 1836. He married Sarah Vater. They moved to Wales for work in the mines and then settled in the USA in 1862. I have read that Barrington Buckland married his cousin Shelley Buckland (Buckley). Philadelphia (aka Dollaretta) is their daughter. I am fascinated at how a gypsy woman met a coal miner and left her family to marry and move to the United States. If you  have any information as to if this was common  or not, I would love to hear about it. It is a fascinating puzzle. Thanks to David and Bill for all of the information you sent to me.

Offline Bfgaffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 06 July 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
My name is Bridget Frost gaffin
I’m a descendent of Barrington And Charlotte Buckland - my gggg grandparents were Richard And Dolleretta Parfrey ... I’m so intrigued by this that Charlotte was a Gypsy.
So my line is
Barrington & Charlotte Buckland
Dolleretta Buckland and Richard Parfrey
Elizabeth Parfey & James Frost
Homer Frost & Mary Dolphin
Albert Frost & Catherine Celcelia Lynch
John Frost & Barbara Lozaw
And. me !!

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 06 July 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin  Bridget :) I am busy today ,but promise to post next few days about our families lovely to find another cousin xx

Just to say both Barrington and Charlotte were from old lines of real Romany people and yes would be cousins by relationship.
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

Offline Bfgaffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
@tiggi
Could you please explain what do you mean when you say real romainy people??
I’m new to this lolo

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 July 19 08:54 BST (UK) »
 Hello Bfgaffin
What I mean by real Romany >  (also spelled Romani) colloquially known as gypsies, which many do not like to be referred too, as this is mistaken identity they were given when arriving in England thought to be from Egypt. That has followed them as name with all the stereotyping to be feared or exiled and avoided by settled folki and they themselves having to deny their heritage to survive.The Romani were painted as thieves and tricksters, in particular because of their nomadic lifestyle and  in the eyes of the Christian Church during their early migrations. heathens to be persecuted for what they considered unorthodox practices/cultural traditions  etc . They are an ethnic group, traditionally itinerant, originating from the northern Indian subcontinent, from the Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab regions of modern-day India. The Buckland/Buckley family were one of the founder families.

So you are part of the historical Buckland/Buckley lineage descending from Richard And Dolleretta Parfrey/Buckland, but once Dolleretta married Richard who was from settled folki then all her descendants took a different path marrying further outside of her people and not leading the life of Romani unlike her parents.
This is not being disrespectful to you or your ancestry, but it obvious you don't know about that side of your ancestry and that tells me it was not spoken about by your families, which sadly happened a lot to families when one of Romani people married into settled folki compared to those who continued to wed their own people as did their children and follow the traditions and culture.

I will say again this does not mean you are not still part of  the historical Buckland/Buckley lineage, just that your ancestry from Dolleretta marrying Richard took a different path and became part of Richard lifestyle in comparison to those today who have kept closer to their families marrying cousins and leading the Romani lifestyle.

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 08 July 19 09:32 BST (UK) »

Hello Bfgaffin
What I mean by real Romany >  (also spelled Romani) colloquially known as gypsies, which many do not like to be referred too, as this is mistaken identity they were given when arriving in England thought to be from Egypt. That has followed them as name with all the stereotyping to be feared or exiled and avoided by settled folki and they themselves having to deny their heritage to survive.The Romani were painted as thieves and tricksters, in particular because of their nomadic lifestyle and  in the eyes of the Christian Church during their early migrations. heathens to be persecuted for what they considered unorthodox practices/cultural traditions  etc . They are an ethnic group, traditionally itinerant, originating from the northern Indian subcontinent, from the Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab regions of modern-day India. The Buckland/Buckley family were one of the founder families.

So you are part of the historical Buckland/Buckley lineage descending from Richard And Dolleretta Parfrey/Buckland, but once Dolleretta married Richard who was from settled folki then all her descendants took a different path marrying further outside of her people and not leading the life of Romani unlike her parents.
This is not being disrespectful to you or your ancestry, but it obvious you don't know about that side of your ancestry and that tells me it was not spoken about by your families, which sadly happened a lot to families when one of Romani people married into settled folki compared to those who continued to wed their own people as did their children and follow the traditions and culture.

I will say again this does not mean you are not still part of  the historical Buckland/Buckley lineage, just that your ancestry from Dolleretta marrying Richard took a different path and became part of Richard lifestyle in comparison to those today who have kept closer to their families marrying cousins and leading the Romani lifestyle.