Author Topic: John Farran  (Read 1503 times)

Offline treehunter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Farran
« on: Saturday 21 November 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am looking for the birth of John Farran Born 1823-26 in Ireland

Dont know anymore then that. Apart from he was in Liverpool age 15 in 1841

Then said he was married to an Elizabeth by 1851. Cant find a marriage between then.

Died in Marylebone Middlesex in 1894

Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Farran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
dont know if you've made any progress with your search for John Farran since you posted this....  since his birth is well before the start of full civil registration in 1864, you will first need to know the family religion and then check what parish records are available for the parish where the family lived.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

It's worth searching for details on John on all the applicable English census returns to see if he ever entered a county or more detailed place of birth. It's also worth following up a search for his marriage, as you would probably need to know additional details on him (e.g. father's name) to confirm any Irish records you might locate later.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline herefords

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Farran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
My family were named "Farrand"  and lived in Ireland around the right time. Several branches took or were given the name Farran. They were of French origin, many were lacemakers, textile trade, protestants (some unitarian, some Quakers so may not be in standard church records). My William Farrand born Armagh Ireland about 1783 became Farrand once he went to England.