Author Topic: George Aston Morris, Ludlow  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Craig1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Aston Morris, Ludlow
« on: Saturday 21 November 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I wondered does someone have access to Ludlow parish records for the period 1800 -1810. My Ggrandfather George Aston Morris was born in Ludlow, Shropshire. The first mention of him that I have found is on the 1841 census of Northumberland where his is a labourer in Wooler. Ihave birth certificates for his son William Aston Morris born 1848 in Wooler, Henry Morris son born 1850 in Wooler. They are on the 1851 census of Wooler with another son John (birth certificate not located)and Mother Jane (nee Younghusband) George is now 46. 1853 Jane dies in Wooler. Another son is born to George Aston and Ellen Chisholm (again no marriage located). The family is next located in Gateshead, Durham.
1861 Census George is now 56, 1871 census George is now 62 and then in 1874 George dies age 74. His birth place stays constant through the census aa Ludlow. Any help would be most appreciated, I am unable to continue with my Morris line.
Craig

Offline Craig1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Aston Morris, Ludlow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
Test

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have looked within the Shropshire records on FindMyPast & whilst I haven't been able to locate a baptism, I have found a marriage that might be of interest as follows:

31st January 1791, Buildwas, Shropshire (abt 20 miles from Ludlow)

Thomas Morris to Margaret Aston both of the parish of Buildwas.

Married by Banns, both made their marks.

Witnesses were Thomas Rogers & William Wood, Thomas Signed & William made his mark.

Two records, one as Morris & the other as Morries, but Morriss on the orginal. The records in question are the Banns & the marriage itself.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I looked for other records for Morris in Wooler area and they all match up with your family except for this.
Elisabeth Morris death June 1850 age 50 Glendale.

Could she be a clue?

In Ludlow there is a George Morris s of John Beebee Morris and Milborough 25 Sep 1808 but he's the only one 1800-1810.

Possible marriage at Hereford John Morris and Milborough Campbell 3.1.1799

Ciderdrinker