Author Topic: Camp at Leverington  (Read 1080 times)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Camp at Leverington
« on: Sunday 22 November 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Thirty years ago i worked picking fruit in the area and we were based at what seemed to be an old army? camp in Leverington, just off Church End and near to Seabank. Looking at Google maps it appears to have been demolished.
 Does anyone know what the camp was origionally used for, it consisted of several half round corrugated huts and outbuildings.
  Many thanks
   Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Sean03

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camp at Leverington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 22 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy
I've just seen your message even though it was posted a few years ago. I spent the summers of 1982 and 1983 at the camp in Leverington. It was demolished in the 90s. I'm not sure what it was originally used for. I returned to Leverington in 2020 and visited the site of the camp where I had so many great memories. I hope you enjoyed your time there as much as I did.
Best regards
Sean

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Camp at Leverington
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 22 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,
I was there 1977, 78 and 80. Loved it and had a great time! I went back there too after it was demolished and walked along the path at the back. Lovely memories, where did the time go!
Mac was in charge when I was there, do you remember the common room with jukebox and graffiti on the wall? The food hall, the small tv room crammed to watch TOTP, the pretty basic accomodation.
Was there in November one year , it was freezing in the huts.
Lots of fun, I loved meeting people from other countries and working in the fields, and in Smedleys factory.
Do you have any photos of the time, i have a few that someone kindly sent me.
Best days ever :)
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk