Author Topic: a bit of an enigma UPDATE  (Read 7793 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: a bit of an enigma UPDATE
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 November 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
i have the deaths of Annie and her husband and their marriage certificate   the father is george william synes

She marriaed in Abercarnn wales where the family were living in 1911

George was born 1900 his birth was in the Alton reg district and he was actually Ernest george

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 November 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Also Sarah might be the Sarah A. Sines who married in Kingston in 1914 to James Privett.
There are no Privett/Sines births but there are two births in Kingston (1914, 1916) for Privett/Roberts (and no Privett/Roberts marriage to match).

But in 1911 there is in Kingston also a Sarah Sines, with various children (appears to be a widow) - can't find her in 1901.  If she is the one who remarries in 1914, is the 1895 marriage a different family entirely? Or did George have two families?

When Annie married, who were the witnesses on the certificate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah actually i don't have the certificate silly me  -  got name of father from 1911 census which tallied with her birth certificate.  she married in 1926 in Newport reg district

its all getting complicated lol

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have been trying to trace Sarah Anne Nicholls ( mother of Harold John Nicholls). The  1911 Sarah Sines (widowed) that you have mentioned appears to have been originally Sarah Anne Roberts. She baptised James Henry Sines (noted as sick), with George Sines as Dad in around d 1900. She then baptised two illegitimate children Henry / Herbert Nicholls and Agnes Annie Nicholls in 1906. Violet Elizabeth Sines is baptised as illegitimate in 1908. William Albert Sines is baptised n 1910, and the address is given as the infirmary / workhouse . Sarah then marries to become Sarah Privett ( confirmed by military records of next of kin. )So Sarah has been a Roberts / Nicholls / Sines / Privett. There is a missing child going by the 1911 census so I'm wondering if she may have links to my mysterious ' Sarah Anne Nicholls' in my own family tree.

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi No I never did get to the bottom of it, I was  doing the research on behalf of my friend but had to stop do to ill health in family.  I shall have to get the material out and re investigate it.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Now the GRO online index has mother's maiden name we can trace a bit easier:

Children of Sarah:
James Henry Sines, mmn Roberts, 1898 D quarter Kingston on Thames
Henry Herbert Nicholls Sines, mmn Roberts, 1905 D quarter Kingston
Violet Elizabeth Sines, mmn Roberts, 1908 S quarter Kingston
William Albert Sines, mmn Roberts, 1910 S quarter Kingston

Meanwhile, there are also these kids, in addition to Annie Kezia, who I think are the kids of Eliza Rosewell:

Ernest George Sines, mmn Rosewell, 1900 J quarter Alton  (married 1920, died 1979 as Synes)
William James Sines, mmn Rosewell, 1902 M quarter Alton (married 1925 d. 1973 as Synes)
Robert Edward Sines, mmn Rosewell, 1904 J quarter Alton (married 1935, d. 1972 as Synes)

From this other thread, the boys were baptised in Selbourne with Ernest having "Sarah" on his record and the other having "Eliza":
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=421754.0

I think looking at the dates that it would line up with George leaving Sarah after the birth of James, the later kids are registered as Sines as she was still legally married to him, meanwhile George and Eliza were living as common-law husband and wife.

As at the time of Ernest's baptism he was in the army, perhaps he had 'wife Sarah' listed on his records and therefore that got put down for some official matters because he was worried about people figuring out that 'Sarah' was Eliza and Sarah was living somewhere else entirely!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
In addition, Agnes Annie was registered under the surname Roberts, no mmn listed (on the new GRO index indicating an illegitimate birth usually).

Another child that came up - Mildred Rebecca Synes, mmn Roberts!, 1910 D quarter Newport M

Offline Poppykess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know if you are still reading this message board but I have only just found it.
Annie Keziah Synes was my grandmother. She married Joseph Fredrick Wheatstone and had 3 children. She later married Ceril Bright.
She died in Corby Northants in 1983.
I would love to know your connection to her. Lesley

Offline Poppykess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 October 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot to mention, all three of her children are still alive. My mum says that George's wife was called Elizah but doesn't know where the name Sarah comes from. Milldred was the baby of the family and later moved to Deal in Kent.
George, Robert and William were very tall being up to 6'6".