Author Topic: a bit of an enigma UPDATE  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: a bit of an enigma
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 09 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Position on certificates now clear. i.e. Southport always a copy of something, local registrar may be either handwritten or photocopy of original. Seems local must be the better bet.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: a bit of an enigma UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Well I have heard back from the local registry office in hampshire and they have kindly checked.  The mothers name on their records is the same as on the certificate i recieved.

So now I don't know what to think

Anyone got any ideas

Teresa

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa

I have not read your previous thread yet - but just looking around and putting 2 and 2 together to make 5, there is an Eliza Rosewell born 1875 Greenwich.  There is a matching birth registration and a good sighting on 1891 census where she is a servant.  I know this does not mean anything but funny how there are matching details for 'Sarah' on the 1911.  Did she have an alias or something.

Tressle

Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
tHANKS FOR THAT i ACTUALLY HADN'T GONE INTO LOOKING FOR THAT BIRTH - ADDS A WHOLE NEW OUTLOOK TO IT - MAYBE SHE WAS ELIZA SARAH OR SOMETHING.

CERTAINLY I HAVE A LOT TO THINK ABOUT.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Possibly the marriage certificate from 1895 or a birth certificate for one of Annie's siblings would be needed to help clear things up.
You could also look for christenings at Selborne St. Mary (the parish church).

The other spouse at the 1895 marriage was "George Edward Thair", from the 1901 his wife was a Sarah from Rutlandshire Oakham, which makes her more likely to be Sarah Ann Butcher (there is a 1874 birth for Sarah Ann Butcher in Oakham district and she appears on the 1881 census but none for Sarah Ann Roberts and no Sarah Roberts b. Rutland on the 1881 census)

So the 1895 Kingston marriage was probably between George Sines and Sarah Ann Roberts, although I couldn't find a Greenwich birth for Sarah Ann Roberts circa 1875.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that is most helpful - i think your idea of another siblings certificate might be a way forward

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

So the 1895 Kingston marriage was probably between George Sines and Sarah Ann Roberts
I had a look at this again and these could well be a different couple altogether. Not sure where they are hiding in 1901 but there's a Sarah Sines born ca. 1877 still in Kingston district in 1911. No husband as far as I can tell but 5 children in the household ... 

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 November 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
hmmmmm i see what you mean - that pretty much rules out that marriage.

I am suspecting that maybe they married abroad or as he was in the army when he was younger maybe it was an army marriage but its not showing up on the records they have on find my past, least i haven't found it

I have put a request on the Hampshire  board to see if anyone can check bapt records for the other children to see whatthey say

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 November 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 census for George and Sarah, it says "reservist" in brackets after soldier.

The son, George's birth , doesn't seem to have been registered before the census nor in Hampshire. 

I have also looked on army births and marriages for Si/ynes and Rosewell, and can find nothing that looks significant.  Also, there are no deaths for George or Sarah on Freebmd, though they may have died more recently than the transcriptions go to.

Did your Annie marry, do you have her marriage cert and is her father's name on that?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway