Author Topic: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.  (Read 18552 times)

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan,
           Thanks again for taking the trouble to help me with my problems .  Helen Telfer is a mystery to me, I did see at Hawick Heritage centre the entry with the Trotter bit too.  On her death certificate she is called Helen Telfer born at Castleton 1824  but it shows she was illigitemate and her mother was a  Barbara Beattie, no father mentioned.   The George that is mentioned along with them is her & Thomas's son.   I don't  have very much info. about Margaret Brunton (that was her maiden name).  I have that she was born around 1751 or 1757 her husband Thomas Storry born about 1750 or it might be 1757 I just don't know as in the' family search' site  there are 2 Thomas's born  on these dates, and I  don't know for sure who his parents were.   In 2 of their sons death certificates it shows Thomas as being a blacksmith but Margaret & him are deceased by then.   Thanks also for confirming where Mary Jane Amos is buried.
                                  regards Cathiemay

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I have now traced the deaths of Thomas Storie & Jane Hendry's  family. in S.P. Elizabeth died 1911 unmarried. at Hawick.   Helen died 1911 married to William Turnbull  in Hawick.   George died 1908 at Hawick  married to Mary Ellen Ingles.     John died 1956 at Loanhead. married to 1st.  Margaret _____  2nd. Jessie Ann Mason..  and Thomas died 1931 at Cavers.   I shall have to wait now on the 1911 census to find out if they had any families.   Thank you all the folk who tried to help me find out about them.     
                      Cathiemay.

Offline Thistle76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 12 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathiemay,

I don't know if you will be interested but I am a descendant of the Hendrys of Brotherstone, Mertoun. I believe Jane Hendry was related to William Hendry my direct ancestor. I have lots on this side if you would like to find out more.

For example, the Mary Bell Thomas Storie was a farm servant to at Mertoun in 1871 was Bell through her second marriage, first marriage was to James Hendry, Jane Hendry's uncle.

Thomas Hendry, Jane's father died in 1891 at 10 Wilton Crescent, Wilton, death registered by his son John Hendry, residence, Calaburn Farm, Wilton.

Let me know if you would like to chat,

Gary
Laing - NE Scotland, Edinburgh
Ferguson - Perthshire, Glasgow
Cumming, Robb, Wardrop, Robertson, Thomson - Stirlingshire
Campbell - Perthshire
Kelly - Inverness-shire
Moore, Thomson - Roxburghshire
Hendry, Robeson - Berwickshire

Offline wigtown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 January 13 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, interested to read your post. I am a descendant of Thomas Storie. If you get this as it has been a while since you posted please reply and I will further more information
kind regards
Jane Gill

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
         I have only just found your e/mail. I am quite excited to find any one descended from Thomas Storie. I thought I was the only one searching for my lot.  Please let me know all you know about family.  I did get in touch with someone who was  a descendant of Thomas but he didn't seem to know anything about the family, and  didn't seem interested.  I have found out little bits through census etc., Hope to hear from you very soon.
                                            Cathiemay.

Offline wigtown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
My great Great grandmother was Agnes Storie born 1821. She married John bell. In her death notice in the paper it says she was the only daughter of Thomas Story (Sp as printed), farmer of Dalcove Mains, Berwickshire. I see from the internet there is a tombstone at Jedburgh which was erected by Thomas Storry (sp again as printed) , smith of Pleasants on the 22nd of April 1842 which is in memory of his grandson Thomas Bell and his son in law John Bell who died at Dalcove Mains 13th May 1862 which is correct for my Gt Gt Grandfather. I have information of a John Storie who died 21st January 19??08 or 1915 aged 75. Uncle George who died in Canada and an Aunty margaret died in 1909. We have inherited an old family photograph album and some maybe Stories but sadly none are named. with my husband we are only starting at tracing our family. It is is great to have got in touch with you - how are we related? Jane Gill

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
         How wonderful to have found someone at last from the same Stories as I am. I have traced Agnes to Glasgow in1901 census.   When she left the borders  her and daughter Isabella went to Penninhame Wigtownshire the when Isabella married they moved to Dunoon then Govan Glasgow. Am waiting on 1911 Scottish census to be put on Ancestry site. Have looked up a few on the 1911 census in Scotlands People. Don't know when Agnes died.  Are you descended from Agnes's son John who seemed to have only one daughter Susan Agnes.  or Isabella ?.  Have found most of Agnes's siblings, after a bit of hunting. She had 2 other sisters. I did find one had died aged 4 but haven't found what happened to the other one.. Am stuck with one of her brothers -- Adam. He was around when his parents died 1872 then disappears. I did find an Adam Storie from Scotland ,a farmer emigrating to New York 1872 but no trace of him there.(don't know if it was him)  Found George in Canada , along with another brother Alexander.   The John who died in 1908 at Jedburgh
was another brother and his wife was Margaret Douglas who died 1907 (at least I think it will be them)   I am descended from Agnes's brother Thomas 1818 who married Helen Telfer. Their son Alexander was my mothers father.  I have seen the gravestone at Jedburgh Abbey. Its so worn now its almost impossible to read. Just as well someone took down what it said when they could still read it.  What a pity there is no names on photo's, it would be lovely to know who they were.  Is there no one you can ask.?  Hope to hear from you soon.
                                      Cathie

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 February 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Cathiemay. Here is the storie from Shawpark cemetery selkirk.
"54        In loving memory of  JOHN  son of  JOHN  STORIE  who died 28th February 1910 aged 5 and one half years also the above  JOHN  STORIE  who died 26th December"
"1943 aged 66yrs  also his wife  MAGGIE  STORIE  who died 19th October 1943 aged"
"66yrs."

This makes John born 1877 with a wife Maggie. Maybe not the same ones
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 February 13 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
         Thank you so much for taking the trouble to look for Stories.  I am afraid I  made a mistake thinking my John Stories had lived in Selkirk. Got mixed up with another John.  Found out that my John had lived in Loanhead  & died in Edinburgh 1956. Still haven't found out if he had any family.
                                    regards Cathiemay.