Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56500 times)

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 April 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherryexile,

Thanks for the information, I hunted out the Will of Violetta's grandfather, James of Ripple, Will dated 1742 and in it he leaves property and land in Ripple, Evesham, Upton Upon Severn and Hanley Castle in Worcester and Bromyard in Herefordshire.  His Will also mentions his son James, a daughter Mary and his wife Anne.

There are no Dingleys prior to him in Ripple which begs the question where did he come from, looks like a trip to the Worcester Archives is called for, fortunately there are a few other things I can check while I am there.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 April 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
One lead that might be worth pursuing is the descent from Francis Dingley, via his oldest son Henry and his marriage to Joan Pitts, to his grandson Francis.

Francis was born in 1604 and was buried 8th Jun 1675 in London. Francis was married to Elizabeth Cox, daughter of Richard Cox (Cocks) esq. Elizabeth was born in Castleditch, Eastnor, Herefordshire. In the later Visitations this Francis is described as 'of Ridmarley Dabitot'.

Francis and Elizabeth had 3 children I know of, Charles, Richard (d. abt 1673) and James.

Charles married a Frances Lovestead, daughter of John Lovestead, and they had the following children John (b. abt 1660), Charles (b. abt 1662), Elizabeth (b. abt 1666) and Dorothy (b. abt 1672).

James married 1st, Margaret Duston of Upton on Severn and 2nd, Ann Thompson. By one of these women he had a son James. James in turn married an Ann Tandy.
Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 April 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
There is some small level of corroborating evidence of the potential Francis, Henry, Francis, James, James line in the burial records for Ripple which you can get at FreeReg,

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Record Type Burial Date Surname Forename County Place Name Found As
Burials  24 Mar 1683 DINGLEY Margaret Worcestershire Ripple Surname
Burials 13 Jun 1701 DINGLY James Worcestershire Ripple Surname
Burials 07 May 1734    DINGLEY   Ann Worcestershire   Ripple Surname
Burials 23 Mar 1743 DINGLEY James Worcestershire Ripple Surname

Margaret is given as the wife James Dingley and the death of a James Dingly in 1701 pre-dates your will of 1742, which very likely relates to the burial in 1743 of James Dingley from Holy Green. The 1734 death of Ann is for a daughter of James and Ann Dingley.

IGI gives the following two baptisms,

5. MARY DINGLEY - IGI Gender: Female Christening: 14 SEP 1724 Ripple, Worcester, parents James & Ann
6. JAMES DINGLY -IGI Gender: Male Christening: 31 JAN 1721 Ripple, Worcester, parents James & Ann

Obviously none of this is proof of anything, but it does fit with the descent I outlined earlier.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 April 10 01:26 BST (UK) »
I would suggest the Baptism and Marriage Registers for Ripple may show more than is available on IGI and you may want to cast your net a little wider to the surrounding Parishes.

The possibility is that death of Margaret Dingley represented the death of James Dingley's mother (Margaret Duston) and while his father James married again, he died in 1701 (his second wife Ann may have re-married or was buried elsewhere than Ripple and there is a record of an Anne Dingley marrying in Queenhill in Sep 1701). James, the son, inherited land in Ripple, stayed and married Ann Tandy.

There is a Will for a Jacob Dingley, of Ripple, dated 26 Sept 1702 available at Worcester Records Office and an Administratoin and Will for James Dingley of Ripple dated 7 Apr 1781.

Let me know how you get on.

Neil

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 April 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Thanks very much for the information, it certainly gives me something to work with.  Maybe it will poke a hole in my brick wall.  I will let you know what I discover.

Jill

Offline katedineley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 May 10 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Can does anybody know the link of the Dineley of Cropthone and the Dineley in Ireland i just can not find it.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 May 10 09:25 BST (UK) »
Kate,

I have never come across a link although I have come across Doneley and Denley being reported as Dineley. There were Dineleys in Liverpool in the the 19th Century and that could be a source.

If you let me know what the earliest records you know of for Dineley's in Ireland, and which part, I will see if I can back fit them into the families I know of that 'disapear'.

Neil

Offline katedineley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 May 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I have Andrew Thompson Dineley he was born in Castleshane co Monaghan in 25 Nov 1845 his father was Josiah Dineley and mother Mary Williams.

I am from Liverpool and my great great grandfather is from ireland. I have been told that we are related to the dingle/dineley of Cropthone.

If you have any information that would great thank you

kate

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 May 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Kate,

The earliest record I can find for Dineley in Northern Ireland, is a Death Record for a Josiah Dineley, suggesting a birth date of around 1823, but the nearest match to this that I have is a Josiah baptised in 1820 in Worcestershire. This could be right, but we would need more evidence to be sure. This differs from the date given on IGI reference (Abt 1816) to the Josiah Dineley/Mary Williams marriage in 1840 in Clogher, Ulster Province; but since this is not referenced I wouldn't rely on it.

I cannot find the Birth Record you mention for Andrew Thompson Dineley (although there are several later people of the same name), but I did find this,

Name                Frederick William Dynley
Birth date         22 Oct 1873
Birth place        Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Father name     Andrew Dynley
Mother name    Sarah Shaw

There are also records for a Josiah Dineley and Ellen Jane Duncan having children around the same time. Interestingly, the couple seem to have had a child baptised in Scotland in 1873, so may have moved out of Ireland,

Name                            Josiah Dineley
Registration district      Belfast
Record type                  DEATHS
Registration date -
quarter and year         1867
Estimated birth year    1823
Age                               44

Father    Josiah Dineley
Mother   Ellen Jane Duncan

Eliza Dineley     b. 15 Oct 1865, BELFAST,ANTRIM,IRELAND
Josiah Dineley   b.20 Apr 1868, Ireland
Agnes Dineley   b.05 Nov 1869, Armagh, Ireland
Herbert Dineley b.26 Jan 1867, BELFAST,ANTRIM,IRELAND
William Dineley  b.16 Jul 1871, Ireland
Alfred Dineley    b.24 APR 1873, Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland

There is also a record for a Rachel Dineley, giving birth to a Jane McCready in 1866. Together this grouping MAY suggest that your Andrew had siblings called Josiah and Rachel.

Name                          Jane Macready
Christening place       390, BELFAST, ANT, IRE
Birth date                   23 Apr 1866
Birth place                  Belfast, Ant, Ire
Father name              Samuel Macready
Mother name             Rachel Dineley

At first site, it seems plausible that the Dineleys that can be found in Northern Ireland from the 1850's onwards are from a single root, Josiah Dineley, and the date of birth around 1823 could allow for him to be descended from one of the grandchildren of Josiah Dineley of Peopleton, who died in 1790. He in turn was descended from the Dingley's of Charlton/Cropthorne. There is also the coincidence of the first name Josiah.

Finally, there was a John Dineley (grandson of Josiah) who married a Sarah Thompson in Warwickshire in 1820, but their children do not include a Josiah and the chronology of their other children do not suggest that one could be fitted in. Sarah died in 1830.

I certainly cannot disprove the potential link and the availble circumstantial evidence seems to support, rather than go against, it being likely. There remains the option that a family with a surname similar, but different, to Dineley (e.g. Denly, Dinlii, or Donelly) changed their surname (by accident or design) prior to 1850 and there is no link to Cropthorne at all.

Maybe if you have some more information to work with I could have another look, but I don't have much access to Irish Records. Do you have occupation details for your Irish family, or family anecdotes that might help? These may give a clue as to why the family moved across the sea.

I hope this of interest, even if it does not provide an answer.

Neil