Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56507 times)

Offline Tracy Dineley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 March 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     Newbie alert here!

My husbands family are Dineleys from Belfast.  We have his grandfather as  Albert Ernest Dineley married to  Elizabeth Maud nee Beattie.  Albert's parents were an Andrew Dineley married to an Amelia  nee Grey.  we would really appreciate any help from ANYBODYas we believe that once again there is a connection through them via Josiah Dineley of peopleton.

Any hints and tips gratefully appreciated, especially in tracing Andrew's parents(who, BTW, we believe to be yet another Andrew!)

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 March 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any dates for these people?

There is a Birth of an Albert Ernest Dineley in 1882 in Belfast. There are records of an Ernest on the 1901 Census and again in 1912 and there is the possibility that he went by his middle name, rather than his first and these records may relate to the same person. Of course your Albert Ernest may be another person altogether, born later than this one.

There is also a record of a marriage between an Andrew Dineley and an Amelia Grey in 1902. While no age is given, he is described as 'previously unmarried' which would suggest that he was born before 1880, but not more than 10 years earlier, as most men at this time married in their early to mid- twenties.

If these are the Albert and Ernest you mention, they may not be father and son. There is the possibility that they are brothers and both sons of an Andrew Thompson Dineley (as referenced in Kate's earlier query). If you have not already, you are likely to find some common ground with a couple of people who have put their family trees on Ancestry.com, who are descended from Andrew Thompson Dineley.

I strongly suspect that all of these Dineley's are descended from a single Josiah Dineley who moved to Belfast in the early 19th Century.

If you can expand on the family rumour of the link to Peopleton, it may help tie him back to a family line in England.

Neil
Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline Tracy Dineley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 04 March 11 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Cherryexile, Thanks very much for your reply!

The dates/ information I have are very similar to those you kindly supplied.  Our Albert Ernest was born after the 1911 census but family have confirmed he is definately the son of Andrew Dineley who married Amelia Grey in  december 1902.  Andrew and Amelia were married in Trinity Church, Shankhill according to records on Emerald Ancestors.com. if someone could suggest a lookup service I would be grateful indeed!

It is his parents that we are now trying to trace.  We are just guessing at the moment that his father was also Andrew due to the coincidences of family names/adresses/ occupations etc on street directories from Belfast in the early 1900's./ census. For example in one street directory on Lennon Wylie you have Andrew'sneighbour recorded as Thomas Sloan.  This in turn is my husbands fathers names: *.

Many Thanks and we will keep on perservering!

Tracy

* details removed as there's a possiblity person is still alive

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Tracey,

If you haven't already seen it, this link will allow you to see the burial records of the two Andrew Thompson Dineleys and Albert Ernest Dineley, who were buried in Belfast; just do a surname only search for Dineley.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/search.asp
Neil

Offline Tracy Dineley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Neil!
                               Have looked them up and this just seemed to confuse things all the more!  The line I am researching is from Andrew Dineley born(c.1880) who married Amelia Gray in 1902.
On their wedding certificate from Dec 1902, the grooms father is stated as another Andrew Dineley. Yet from the 1901 and 1911 census this Andrew has been remarried to a Margaret McClelland who in turn was originally a Moore.  I'm trying to pin point the younger  Andrew's mother who I suspect may have been Sarah Crouch/ Shaw.

All these Andrew's, Albert's Ernests  etc are all starting to blur in to one and it's getting very confusing!

Again,  any help given is REALLY appreciated!

Many Thanks

Trace

Offline garfiddle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Belfast/Port Glasgow Dineleys

Josiah Dineley and Ellen Jane Duncan most definitely moved to Scotland in the early 1870s. I am searching another branch of Dineleys, from Manchester, who moved to Scotland in the 1860s, and I keep coming across these Belfast/Port Glasgow Dineleys!

I have researched them (Belfast/Port Glasgow Dineleys), not in great detail but simply to eliminate from my immediate family. There are descendants of Josiah Dineley and Ellen Jane Duncan living in Scotland today.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Garfidle,

I would be interested in what you have for Manchester Dineleys. I have always been a little stuck at the point where records appear in Manchester Cathedral in the early 19th Century. Have you traced them earlier than this?

My suspicion is that they are a different line from the Worcestershire branch (which I think, but can't prove moved to Ireland in the first half of the 19th Century) and the strongest likelihood is that they are remnants from the Lancashire/Yorkshire Dyneleys.

Thanks

Neil

Offline garfiddle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Neil,

Although I don't have any proof, I believe the Manchester Dineleys are descended from Thomas Dineley, born 1624 in Clitheroe! Naming patterns would suggest this and, like you say, it is the strongest likelyhood.

I can only go back to about 1802 with any certainty, when Thomas Dineley (my 3rd G.Grandfather) was born in Manchester. It is likely his parents were Robert Dineley and Elizabeth Bagshaw but I have yet to prove this beyond reasonable doubt!

Thomas Dineley married Alice Crawshaw (about 1823) and had 8 children, as far as I know. I know he later married two other people and died in Buxton in 1874. One of his sons was Edwin Dineley, born about 1824, who came to Edinburgh in 1860/1, married a local lass and settled here.

Hope this helps a little!

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 24 November 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
In 1624 the Worcestershire line was predominantly using the spelling Dingley, while the Lancashire/Yorkshire line used the name Dyneley. This alone makes it more likely that Thomas Dineley was from the latter.

Interestingly, there is a Thomas Dyneley who appears on the 'Dyneley of Bramhope (Yorkshire)' family tree which was published in 1824. His father Willliam marriead an Anne Kyme and is described as 'of Leak nr. Boston, circa 1600; but William's father Henry (b.1523) was from Downham, near Clitheroe.

There are no descendents for Thomas on the tree, but Henry was Lord of the Manor and his line goes back to about 1300. Not sure whether this is the Thomas you are refering to, but it may help.

Neil