Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56460 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi There

If you look at the Look Ups requested pages & go to the request titled Worcestershire Marriage Index:Dingley probably 1730s or 1740s you will see that Ive put quite a bit of info in reply to this request & it was all taken from the parish register film held at the HIVE Worcester so it has a good source

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 30 September 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian

I just wondered if the info my posting on 24 AUG guided you to was of much help as it guided you to a previous posting Id made containing a lot of Dingly info

All the best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline C Dingley Esq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There were originally 3 main branches of the Dingley/Dyngley/Dineley/Dyneley family. All are centred on a relatively small area of Lancashire around Clitheroe and Clivager (Burnley) in the 13th Century. There is no definitive link between the 3, but they are likely to come from the same stock. To confuse matters there were also a small number based in Dingley, Northamptonshire who cannot be tied to the 3 main branches and may, or may not, be the original source of the families.

Of the three one (most commonly appearing as Dyneley) remained in the north (predominantly Lancashire and Yorkshire) and last existed in the 18th -19th Century as Dyneley of Bramhope.

A second line migrated to Hampshire (Wolverton and the Isle of Wight). They were most commonly called Dingley.

The third moved to Charlton Manor in the Parish of Cropthorne, Worcestershire. From these another minor branch was founded on inherited lands in Kent. These were originally most commonly called Dyngley/Dingley, but the name Dineley was adopted from the 17th Century onwards by the main branch (which maled out and resulted in the departure of the family from Charlton after 400 years) and the branch that took on the Manor of Peopleton, Worcestershire until the middle of the 19th Century. The Hampshire and Worcestershire lines share the same Coat of Arms. The Bramhope one differs very slightly.

To confuse things further a branch of Dingleys appeared a little later in Cornwall and at least some of them migrated to Worcestershire/West Midlands. This may be an off-shoot from the Hampshire or Worcestershire lines, or a bastardisation of the name Dingle in the 15th/16th Centuries in Cornwall. Nothing is proven, but families tend to want to claim alliance to the Worcestershire branch due to their Royal descent.

Thus, if you are of Dineley descent you can most likely trace your line through the myriad of Josiah Dineley's children born in Peopleton in the 18th Century.

If you are a Dingley you have a problem. I do not know of any Dingley who has been able to categorically prove that they descend from the Charlton Dingleys. The line reproduced above is conjectural at the point of Edward Dingley (I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it has not been definitively proven by anyone I have come across who claims the link). There remains the possibility that a Dingley may have come into Worcestershire from a minor line originating in Cornwall and less likely from Hampshire or Kent.

That said there have been Dingleys recorded throughout the Parish Records in Worcestershire since the mid-sixteenth Century, especially around the Evesham/Pershore area and I would find it very surprising if you are not descended.

One other thing. The Henry Dingley that married Joan Pitt was the grandson of the Henry Dingley that married Mary Neville, via Francis Dingley and Elizabeth Bigge. Francis was Henry's eldest son and Henry was Francis' eldest surviving son, who died before his father, so Henry's eldest son Edward took over the estate on the death of his grandmother Elizabeth in the 1632. It is Francis and his grandson Edward who have the memorials in Cropthorne Church. Joan Pitt's father paid Francis Dingley £1,000 for the marriage of his daughter to Francis' eldest son.

I know a lot more about the Dineley descent from Dingleys in Worcestershire than I do about the Dingley ones, but I'm happy to share what I know on the wider expanse of the name.

Neil

My lineage (as far as I'm aware) is directly descended down the eldest sons from Richard Dineley the Great Grandfather of William Dingley 1470 to my Uncle who cannot inherit land or titles.
So being the eldest son of the diseased 2nd eldest brother, If there were land or titles left to inherit, they would've come down to me.

I'll start the ball rolling from my Grandfather who fell from grace.

Charles ALbert Leslie Dingley - 1929-1994
Charles Leslie Dingley - 1904-1944
Charles Rueben Dingley - 1878-1964
Rueben Dingley - 1847-?
John Robert Dingley - 1817-1892
Robert Dingley - 1774 - 1836
Edward Dingley - 1748-1815
Francis Dingley - 1713-1786
Samuel Dingley - 1682-1757
Francis Dingley - 1628-1712
Phillip Dingley - 1603 - 1658
Francis Dingley - 1550-1624
Benjamin Henry Dingley - 1524-1589
Sir John Dingley - 1498-1541
William Dingley - 1470-?
Richard Dyneley -?
Thomas Dyneley -?
Richard Dyneley -?

If any of this is incorrect please let me know, I'm also interested in finding out if anyone has managed to trace back further than Richard Dyneley (William Dingley 1470 great gradfather).

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I haven't been on here for quite a while, so sorry for the long delay in responding.

There seem to be a number of issues in the line you have posted, so it would be interesting to know where it came from.

A few initial thoughts are that,

1) much of the line before William (father of John Dingley b.1498) looks wrong
2) I am not aware of John Dingley (1498-1541) being a Knight
3) I have never known Henry Dingley (1524-1589) to be given the name Benjamin.
4) I have a death date for Samuel Dingley (b.1682) of 1712 and no known children - however that doesn't mean that is correct, I would need to do some research. I have a number of children for Samuel's father Francis, but no lineage for any of them.

I can start researching back from the earlier records and seeing where that gets to, but do you have any more information on locations or partners for any of the generations after Francis Dingley (1628-1712)?

Cheers.

Neil
Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline C Dingley Esq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 09 July 22 12:12 BST (UK) »
Benjamin (Henry) went by a few names, which confuses things a little.
In some records he went by the name of Henry, in others he went by Ben or Benjamin, he was born Benjamin though, He has a sarcophagus in St. Michael's church in Cropthorne, It has been a very long time since I last went there.
My information is taken from my grandfathers family tree, I have no idea who generated it or when.
A lot of the family tree has been confirmed through family connections & distant relatives on the Myheritage.com website.

I think there are some discrepancies prior to Francis in my family tree (mainly guestimated dates) because there are few remaining records left, to what I gather they'd been gathered from the private archives of other family estates that had been married into, my grandfather & great grandparents used to visit those estates, and my Grandad & his friends (the estates children that they visited) would trawl through their archives.

We would still have the Dingley archives, had he not married my nan (a gypsy girl) and gotten himself disowned, to what I gather the entire estate was given to a cat charity, so heaven knows where the archives went.
The only thing he took with him was one of the original coat of arms, which was stashed in a box for centuries after it was replaced with the upgraded ones.

I would have to go back and research again to remember what sources came from where etc.

Offline C Dingley Esq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 09 July 22 12:41 BST (UK) »
I found the source for Samuels death date.

Name                  - Samuel Dingley
Gender                - Male
Death Date          - 1757
Burial Date          - 1 Apr 1757
Burial Place         - Cropthorne, Worcester, England
FHL Film Number - 323602

He had three children

Samuel Dingley - b 2 Apr 1711 - 1734
Mary Dingley - b 23 May 1717 - 1717
Francis Dingley - b 29 Mar 1713 - 1786

If memory serves correct, Sir John Dingley was knighted for pledging his allegiance & soldiers to the crown, he was the first to earn the Dingley coat of arms.
Which was upgraded later after Francis Dingley answered the call and won a battle in defence of the crown.

Offline C Dingley Esq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 09 July 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
I myself couldn't find any further back than Richard Dyneley the great grandfather of William Dingley.
The only information I could find on him is that he was raised by the Ralph Neville & Alice (Nee) Audley.