Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56459 times)

Offline Grace Login

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I am yet another Dingley of Cropthorne descendent. My great grandfather was George Dingley born 1854, Charlton, Worcestershire. He Married a Caroline Bott who was formerly Marsden. It was her second marriage. They had three daughters: Ada, Norah, Caroline and Kathleen (known by her middle name: Rose). George was a wheelwright and also has an apple and pear orchard. He sold his apples and pears for cider and also grew and sold asparagus. He was based at Brook Farm in Cropthorne. My mother who is 93 remembers him well. Is anyone else connected to me? I haven't managed to get back further, but family legend abounds about tombs of bloody hands and haunted Charlton Manor with hidden butts of Malmsbury wine.

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Dingley( 1854) he was the brother of Susannah Dingley from Cropthorne/ Charlton ( she was my husbands 2x great gran)
I've never researched George but I know he was married to a Caroline and had 5 children, 6 if you count a stepdaughter Caroline Alice Bott. Sounds like the same one, if so I can go back a little further. I haven't found the connection to Francis, to be honest I haven't looked but they must be descended from Francis. I have also read stories of murder within the family. There are a fascinating family regardless.
Although when I told my son and husband they were descended from Royalty it took a long time for them to shut up about it. ::) ::)

Offline Grace Login

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Well that's amazing. My grandmother, Rose would have been Susannah's niece. I know there was a stepbrother Bott, so I guess Caroline had at least 2 kids before marrying George. My mother was brough up by Norah Dingley for the first two or three years of her life as my Grandmother, Rose was too involved in getting her husband's business of the ground for kids. I know Norah died of cancer just after WW2. I think she had son(s). My mother used to visit Cropthorne regularly up until Norah died and still has a friend in Pershore with whom she exchanges christmas cards. She recalls the chatter between the women of the family. I have never had any connection with Cropthorne. We are now townie Londoners. My mum has been asking me for some time to look into the Dingley side of the family. I haven't got very far!

Offline Grace Login

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again Tinav40
Just spoken to my Mum who remembers her (Great) Aunty Sue well. Apparently she had a shed in which she made homemade wine from anything that grew. My Mum recalls mistaking the potions for fruit juices and getting quite damaged as a result when she was about 16. That would have been before WW2. She got quite lost down a long windy memory lane. The inevitable royal connections came up. I think I will have to take her back to Cropthorne in the spring. There is probably nobody left who remembers her there now. But we can visit the Church. She had cousins called Massingham. George Massingham was her cousin.  The Massinghams married into the Dingley family. She is particularly interested in the Marsden line of our bit of the Dingley family - Caroline Bott was born Marsden. She was from Tardebigge, but she says there are also Cropthorne Church wardens listed with that name. I wonder if your husband has elderly family members with memories of Cropthorne? They should be documented really, before they are lost forever. I wonder if there is a local preservation society.... Kind regards.

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!
Hi again.
Guess who my father -in -laws grandad was? Harry Massingham. He married Susannah Dingley's daughter.
Tina

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Just checked ( in case I was wrong) George Massingham was my father-in-laws uncle.
I think we should get in touch.
Tina

Offline Grace Login

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I think I have worked out how to send you a personal message. Let me know if you have received it!

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grace

Message recieved OK

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 March 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There were originally 3 main branches of the Dingley/Dyngley/Dineley/Dyneley family. All are centred on a relatively small area of Lancashire around Clitheroe and Clivager (Burnley) in the 13th Century. There is no definitive link between the 3, but they are likely to come from the same stock. To confuse matters there were also a small number based in Dingley, Northamptonshire who cannot be tied to the 3 main branches and may, or may not, be the original source of the families.

Of the three one (most commonly appearing as Dyneley) remained in the north (predominantly Lancashire and Yorkshire) and last existed in the 18th -19th Century as Dyneley of Bramhope.

A second line migrated to Hampshire (Wolverton and the Isle of Wight). They were most commonly called Dingley.

The third moved to Charlton Manor in the Parish of Cropthorne, Worcestershire. From these another minor branch was founded on inherited lands in Kent. These were originally most commonly called Dyngley/Dingley, but the name Dineley was adopted from the 17th Century onwards by the main branch (which maled out and resulted in the departure of the family from Charlton after 400 years) and the branch that took on the Manor of Peopleton, Worcestershire until the middle of the 19th Century. The Hampshire and Worcestershire lines share the same Coat of Arms. The Bramhope one differs very slightly.

To confuse things further a branch of Dingleys appeared a little later in Cornwall and at least some of them migrated to Worcestershire/West Midlands. This may be an off-shoot from the Hampshire or Worcestershire lines, or a bastardisation of the name Dingle in the 15th/16th Centuries in Cornwall. Nothing is proven, but families tend to want to claim alliance to the Worcestershire branch due to their Royal descent.

Thus, if you are of Dineley descent you can most likely trace your line through the myriad of Josiah Dineley's children born in Peopleton in the 18th Century.

If you are a Dingley you have a problem. I do not know of any Dingley who has been able to categorically prove that they descend from the Charlton Dingleys. The line reproduced above is conjectural at the point of Edward Dingley (I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it has not been definitively proven by anyone I have come across who claims the link). There remains the possibility that a Dingley may have come into Worcestershire from a minor line originating in Cornwall and less likely from Hampshire or Kent.

That said there have been Dingleys recorded throughout the Parish Records in Worcestershire since the mid-sixteenth Century, especially around the Evesham/Pershore area and I would find it very surprising if you are not descended.

One other thing. The Henry Dingley that married Joan Pitt was the grandson of the Henry Dingley that married Mary Neville, via Francis Dingley and Elizabeth Bigge. Francis was Henry's eldest son and Henry was Francis' eldest surviving son, who died before his father, so Henry's eldest son Edward took over the estate on the death of his grandmother Elizabeth in the 1632. It is Francis and his grandson Edward who have the memorials in Cropthorne Church. Joan Pitt's father paid Francis Dingley £1,000 for the marriage of his daughter to Francis' eldest son.

I know a lot more about the Dineley descent from Dingleys in Worcestershire than I do about the Dingley ones, but I'm happy to share what I know on the wider expanse of the name.

Neil

Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,