Author Topic: COMPLETED- ATKINSON in 1841-51-& 61 censes  (Read 11603 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED- ATKINSON in 1841-51-& 61 censes
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 February 11 06:41 GMT (UK) »
So you have found a burial for a Hannah ATKINSON in Haworth, in an unmarked grave, presumably from a Haworth burial register. Does it give a date of death, husband, residence, or any other info in the register?

Were those children from the same register - and did it have them as children of John Atkinson and Sarah Lunn I am wondering.

Thanks for the link - I saw you posted it, and already checked it out. Lots on there!

Katharine.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 February 11 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The baptism of Jonas Atkinson 8 th Sept 1836 is a near match for your Jonas 1837 in the census His father John mother Sarah  but I put Lunn in bracket as John being married twice meaning it is the 2nd wife of john. It is early days yet  as these bapts are  from IGI  BMD's  and but Haworth register now need checking  for Atkinson entries. On assumption from location of Immanuel's Height! and nearby Church and Chapels of possible Atkinson's BMDs before St Paul Denholme 1846  Haworth register and Keighley GRO is well in your ball game.

To Census and Pre 1837 info standards of accuracy and lack of other Jonas's bapt 1837 (Census age) and close proximity to Haworth/Denholme/Wisden out borders this could well be your Jonas.

Emma 1833 baptism the only other of a John and Sarah Atkinson in IGI as yet no death/burial of her as infant death is yet a mystery
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:02 GMT (UK) »
So you have found a burial for a Hannah ATKINSON in Haworth, in an unmarked grave, presumably from a Haworth burial register. Does it give a date of death, husband, residence, or any other info in the register?

Were those children from the same register - and did it have them as children of John Atkinson and Sarah Lunn I am wondering.

Thanks for the link - I saw you posted it, and already checked it out. Lots on there!

Katharine.

Hi

Sorry It 7 am here and Just got up for a coffee!

No I have not found a buriel record of Hannah but was meaning there could be one in Haworth burial register being near now found Imanuels Height location.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Now, I am following....
John would have still been living on the south side of Denholme (in Denholme House) at the time his first wife would have died. So I would think she could be somewhere in Thornton, or even Ovenden, or somewhere south maybe.

As far as I can ascertain now, John had only the seven children:

Sarah, Mary, Joseph, Susey, then Elizabeth, William, and Alice.

Where the Jonas and Emma came into the picture was a confusion on the part of a relative here. During the first world war one of Joseph's grandsons visited Denholme and met with some family. The details he was given were vague, but I think it was a meld of information regarding our John of Denholme House, and the other family from the census (as per the first page of this thread) where there are two Emma's and a Jonas. Haven't confirmed anything, but I think this family might have been cousins. All a bit confusing really.

Katharine.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Honing down places where John lived and places he worshiped and continuing years of where any siblings or where they baptised them will show a picture, by noting all baptisms of siblings and burials of known events can rule out certain John
and Hannah's. Ie John and Hannah sibling baptisms at Mount zion chapel Ovenden have one baptised 1833 after your John's marriage to Sarah!
thus this rules or eliminates that John and Hannah of Mount Zion.

I'll take alook at Haworth registers at our local library as what I'm looking for is a entry of a baptism that is hard to read that could be Joseph bapt 1817-to 1822 also any non conformists chapel in Haworth.

last tip

Search around in Google books using anything in its search engine that comes to mind

for now

regards

Dave

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes agree with your methodology!
I had already counted out the Mount Zion lot - I think this is the other John and Hannah who lived nearby to my John. I think somewhere along the way, the could be cousins though.

I have made contact with someone who I think could be related through the son William. I found them through LDS and the internet. Am waiting for them to look at what I have and get back to me on it.

Anything you find is greatly appreciated Dave.

I do use google books, although haven't found too much for John. I did find him on the poll book for 1847 though.

Katharine.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:52 GMT (UK) »
PS. I checked all Thornton registers at Bradford Library being Anglican parish church and nonconformist chapels and Denholme also Wilsden for Joseph  hoping to find anything of an unsual faded or near unreadable enteries also a  John and  Hannah or John and Sarah run of sibling over a number of years or even just signal odd entries if they moved abodes/about but found nothing other than IGI known events, this is why I'm thinking Haworth or Keighley.

Many false leads  :( to one finds the right one. :D

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 12 February 11 08:14 GMT (UK) »
What I have so far is: first child baptised as Sarah ADKINSON at Kipping I N C at Thornton in 1813 to John and Hannah.
Nothing for Mary, Joseph, and Susey.
Then the children of John ATKINSON and Sarah at Thornton from the IGI:
Elizabeth on 28 Dec 1835
William 13 Dec 1835
although I haven't confirmed those two.
Then Alice on 10 Apr 1842 at Old Bell Chapel, Thornton, daughter of John and Sarah Atkinson, farmer, Denholme.

Alice was born a few years before, but it does sound like the right baptism to me. Perhaps there was something that delayed her baptism.

Katharine.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 February 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
 methodology ?

'Ee! Bar't gum! lass- us Yorkie 'Hill billies' ney yon'd! use posh words! as thi  lar'ks as thart!  thar noose" Wi say'rs  as it is!  lass.  ;D