Author Topic: James NELSON - COMPLETED  (Read 27864 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James NELSON
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 01:53 GMT (UK) »
 :) Cando....
                  I have some work to do in answer to your questions, and because of all the "drama" I caused with my mix-ups re posts etc..I got a "tad  behind..so..lets start again...
First...I need to find my grandmother and her children return to Australia, on the shipping list..

2nd..I have sent off to the DPS Perth for info on James Nelsons convict records, to see if I can get birth Dates, ie, day and month..we "think" we have the year, but 1833 could be looked at, as they did tend to put up their age to get enlisted in those days.
3rd..I'm waiting on a reply from the Photo group, in Adelaide..re James's photo.. (also I dont know how to post a photo, another headache for you in advising me) ::)
4thMary Donovan..?? is it her...She married in 1869..no age on her certificate..only her fathers name as John Donovan..occupation.Painter...  James Nelson's father was also a James, occupation..Publican.  now I dont know if this was in England, or Australia...
So..I will do my bit..and check out what I can and get back to you..it may take a couple of days, as my time is not always my own as I explained in my PM....(did you get that) AND..my apologies to all the folk that received multiple emails from me...just testing them..NO..NO..its my computer this time..not me. :D Its looks like it may go to God. :-[

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 03:21 GMT (UK) »
 I have emailed the Kew Archives for information on James Nelsons' full birth date...cross the fingers.
I cant see how we can get anywhere without knowing day and month as well as correct year...
There is nothing re ages etc on their marriage certificate..and I cant get him on the South Australian census, as they dont seem to have much on that...Their record shop is very difficult ::)
so, ..I'm just waiting...waiting...waiting... :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 03:46 GMT (UK) »
:)
First...I need to find my grandmother and her children return to Australia, on the shipping list..
I can't help you with shipping records in that period.  Flora and children may have arrived in any port in Australia and travelled overland to Adelaide.

2nd..I have sent off to the DPS Perth for info on James Nelsons convict records, to see if I can get birth Dates, ie, day and month..we "think" we have the year, but 1833 could be looked at, as they did tend to put up their age to get enlisted in those days.

The database was compiled from various sources so I doubt there would be a 'record' as such.  I assume you also found this description on the page linked to the passenger record of the PALMERSTON  They do state on their website that the think the age of the convict is taken from the date the shipping record was recorded.

Surname     NELSON   
Christian Name   James
Reg# 5835     
Occupation  Harness Maker     
M/S Child     S [Single] None
Height   5' 3½"     
Hair    Dark brown         
Eyes   Dark hazel   
Face   Full     
Complexion  Dark       
Build  Proportionate   
Reg# 5835         
Distinguishing Marks  None

3rd..I'm waiting on a reply from the Photo group, in Adelaide..re James's photo.. (also I dont know how to post a photo, another headache for you in advising me) ::)

I don't know what else the Art Gallery in SA can tell you about the photograph. The photographer is not listed in the database of photographers on the NOYE history of photographers website.  They may give you an estimate of year in which it was taken.
http://www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/noye/Introset.htm

Lots of help here on posting photos on rootschat.  I definitely can't help with that ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,317502.0.html

4thMary Donovan..?? is it her...She married in 1869..no age on her certificate..only her fathers name as John Donovan..occupation.Painter...  James Nelson's father was also a James, occupation..Publican.  now I dont know if this was in England, or Australia...

It is usual for the bride and groom's parents' names and the fathers' occupations to be noted on a marriage certificate.  I very much doubt that James' father was in Australia.  To date there is no evidence of  Mary DONOVAN's nationality.

Unfortunately Western Australian birth certificates do no show the place of birth of the parents until 1896 otherwise I would have suggested purchase one of the childrens' birth certs.
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

I don't understand what you mean
and I cant get him on the South Australian census, as they dont seem to have much on that...Their record shop is very difficult

I did not receive a pm from you.  Wonder who you sent it to ;)

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 04:10 GMT (UK) »
In my then state of mind...who knows....sorry about that...will do so again.
I have just found on Ancestry.com.au..details on James Nelson..Malta..and have written off to those concerned...hopefully, we may get something of his birth date...will get back to you on that as soon as I hear.. It did state that he departed Perth for UK on 13/1/1875, but actually went to Adelaide South Australia...where he stayed... :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Would you mind pm'ing the info you found about James NELSON.  I doubt you are allowed to post it here as it will breach copyright.  You have stated your source.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Cando...will do as you ask...just eager to find out....but I'm hopefully learning. :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear...sorry....will do. :-[

Offline Copyright_editor.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Would you mind pm'ing the info you found about James NELSON.  I doubt you are allowed to post it here as it will breach copyright.  You have stated your source.

Cheers
Cando

Best if we leave copyright advice to the copyright editors cando, thank you.

Please do not be sorry dalek39. You have been ill-informed here. Of course you may post information you have found using a valid resource, which you have used in the course of furthering your own research. (provided of course you do not copy and paste the information from an index or transcription)

All the best in your research.

RootsChat's copyright team.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 07:33 GMT (UK) »
James Nelson info....Ancestry.com.au   search Australian Convict Index..1788 - 1868 I just typed in James Nelson..Malta..1833..instead of the date we have 1836..gave it a go...and bingo..that came up...a contact email, so I emailed...now waiting for the reply....