Author Topic: Arthur family,Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden  (Read 12946 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur family,Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden
« on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Arthur family history & would be most grateful if someone could help me. There is a gravestone in Slains with the names of 8 Arthurs on it between 1870-1919. I'd like to find out more than names & dates & hope to identify the relationship between these folk. Can anyone do a lookup, please?
Thanks
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur family,Slains
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
can you tell us their first names and the year they were born
in 1871 their are 4 in slains
margaret  born 1811
james born 1812(husband of margaret)
barbara born 1847
andrew born 1848

apart from james who was born at cruden the others were born at slains
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur family,Slains
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
The stone refered to is number 55 Slains u/p if anyone has the booklet. :)

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

A quick look at the IGI provides some info on some members of this family.

JOHN ARTHUR Married ISOBEL CRUICKSHANK 14th January 1832, Slains.
They had (a lot of!) issue:

ISABELLA 1833
CATHARINE 1834
JEAN 1836
JOHN 1838
JAMES 1840
ANN 1842
MARGARET BRUCE 1844
ANDREW 1846
ROBERT 1849
WILLIAM 1850
ROBERT MIDDLETON 1853
ELIZA DALGARNO 1856

They are on the 1851 census (FreeCen) at Crawley, Slains - parents and 5 of the children.

I hope this is of some help.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur family,Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest in this query. Yes, Kirsty, that is the headstone I'm interested in. I have looked up most of the Arthurs in Cruden,Slains & Logie Buchan in the censuses. I am trying to find a link with an Elpset Arthur whose baptism appears in March 28th 1791 in Slains. She was the illegitimate daughter of another Elspet Arthur,"a servant in this parish".It goes on to say, in great detail, how Elspet was raped by a stranger. The witnesses to the baptism were H.Craighead & Sylvester Balfour both in Berryslacks. In 1811 young Elspet had an illegitimate daughter with James Davidson in Belscampie. She was baptised Jean Davidson,in Cruden.The witnesses were William & Andrew Arthur. I am wondering if they were uncles perhaps or cousins.Now, here's the problem. My mother in law has a birthday book which has been handed down through the generations.The oldest entry in it is Elspet's birthday - 15th March 1791 but her surname's down as Mutch. In 1841 Elspet Mutch is at Auchleuchries, Cruden. She's 50,& independant. There is an ag.lab., William Black, living with her. In 1851 she's still at the same place & her occupation's a stocking knitter. Her age is 60,she's the head of the house & unmarried.In 1861 Elspet has a Christian Arthur living with her. She's a boarder (not a relative?) aged 84 & a pauper, born in Logie Buchan. Christian died in December 1865. Her death certificate states she's the daughter of William Arthur & Ann Arthur (m.s. blank) Elspet died 18 days later.Her grandaughter's husband was the informant (of both deaths)  & named her parents as William Mutch,farmer & Elizabeth Arthur,domestic servant. I am puzzled as to when William came into the picture. This is why I'm trying to identify these Arthurs! 

TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I have found an Elspet Arthur born 1763, to William Arthur & his wife Ann Massie.She is one of 11 children,all born in Logie Buchan. She has a sister,Christian.If this is the same Elspet why was n't Christian shown in the census as a sister? William & Ann also had sons William & Andrew who could be the witnesses at Jane's baptism. I have got a copy of William's death certificate. His parents are ? Arthur.farmer, & Elspet Arthur nee Massie.Aged 85,he died in 1856 & his burial place was Ellon churchyard. How can I prove that Elspet Mutch is a grandaughter of William & Ann? Your comments on this will be very welcome!

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
If the Elspet born in 1791 was the daughter of Elspet born 1763 then Christian would have been her aunt wouldn't she?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes,of course,silly me.
Yesterday I downloaded a copy of Elspet Mutch's will & she left everything to her natural daughter,Jane Marr (nee Davidson). No mention of any other relatives.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
A few things are bothering me about this.

The birth date for Elspet Mutch does not match that of Elspet Arthur (15th March 1791 vs 26th March 1791).

That being said, Elspet Mutch left everything to Jean Davidson who we know to be the daughter of Elspet Arthur.

There are too many assumptions that could be made given how little information we have.

Have you the MI for William from Ellon churchyard? Does it give any more detail about his family such as father's name?

I've just looked and the ANESFHS MI site doesn't have it. The only William Arthur at Ellon on there was buried in 1767.

Let's hope some kind soul can provide the MI transcription from Slains ans that they are related!

Kirsty

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
The 26th March 1791 is the date of the baptism, not date of birth.
I agree that William's M.I. would be helpful - I haven't got it yet. I guess a trip round the graveyards is in the offing! I know it's not uncommon for illegitimate children to go under 2 surnames. I'm hoping someone will come across a headstone with placenames that tie up with the places I've mentioned. I have also placed this information in the Mutch website in the hope I get some answers from it's viewers. Meantime, I'll have another look through the 1841 & 51 censuses as there are Arthurs living at Auchleuchries at the same time as Elspet.