Author Topic: John Lindsay died 1802  (Read 23933 times)

Offline juneinsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lindsay died 1802
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:13 GMT (UK) »
John Lindsay lived at Lindville (now a listed building in the Ballintemple area), Cork and died in 1802. I think I now have all the IGI info and ANF numbers for relevant Lindsays, Ormsbys and Wileys (who may be my family)
but wonder if anyone could provide further info re John Lindsay eg. birth, marriage, spouse - IGI shows the spouse as a Frances Johnston.

My interest is the possible line from Mellon, Wiley, Ormsby, Lindsay. My ancestor Matilda Wylie is possibly in this line. I think her grandmother may be Margaret Matilda Lindsay, a daughter of John and who married Charles Ormsby in 1799 at Christchurch, Cork.

Any help in this would be appreciate. Thank you.
Martin, Wiley, Mellon.

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Lindsay died 1802
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from  HENRY LINDSEY (SAY)?) of PEAKE. My 2xgt gm was Alicia Lindsey married to Thomas Radley Esq, of Rockville, Cork.  I have a chart listing all the Lindsey siblings  descended from William Crooke of Dereen. Will look up same.
Lorraine        See my website, just google ....Radleys of Cork
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline juneinsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 November 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much. Will take a look.
June
Martin, Wiley, Mellon.

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
It is likely John Lindsey of Lindville, Maryville. and Janeville was brother of Henry Lindsey of Peake. In Cork Encumbered Estate Vol 7 and 8 JOHN LINDSEY is owner of Lindville etc exparte Joseph Woodley.  The daughter of Henry...Mary Lindsey, married  Joseph.Woodley.  Lindseys are my cousins. My gt gt gm was Alicia Lindsey, sister to Mary Lindsey. The Lindville people would be my cousins.

Lorraine
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline juneinsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 November 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Lorraine. That's very useful. I'll piece this info together with all the other I have about the Lindsays to see if I do have a connection. I think I need to find what happened to Maggie Matilda Lindsay (daughter of John) and Charles Ormsby who married in 1799 at Christchurch in Cork. I understand I could get records from St Finbarre's.

Rootschat folk are so willing to help - It's really nice and encouraging when you're plodding away at the search. I'll get back to you in due course if I find I'm related to Lindsays.

My parents were both born Scotland, aslo my brother and I. The Granparents were married and also lived in Scotland. It took me 4 years to find my GF was born in Ireland and his father. More recently discovered another branch of the family (paternal GM) from Donegal. It's been a surprise (brilliant) to find these Irish roots and have loved the visits to Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Maghera and plan more!
June
Martin, Wiley, Mellon.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi June,
I have a list of baptisms from a book of the register of St. Finbarrs Cathedral.

There are 8 baptisms for children of John Lindsay and Frances.
I don't know if there was only one person John Lindsay -

The first one is for
Jno.       7 July  1767 son of Jno Lindsay of Templeton Esq and his lady     Frances

There is one listed for Margaret Matilda daughter of Mr. Jno. Lindsay and Frances - Baptism on 29 April 1779 - which would tie in with your Margaret Matilda.

The others listed are Noblet Johnson 21 sept 1768
                                  Marg.                  21 Jan 1771
                                  Cath                    17 April 1772
                                  Harriot                 31 May 1772
                                  Joseph                 6 June 1774
                                  Francis (son of)   22 July 1776

There is a marriage for Arthur Chute & Tras ( which I think should be Fras) Lindsay on 26 Aug 1797.   if you google Jonathan Lindsay Cork the second item is ancestry.com with details of Chute family. If you click on Frances you get information with  portraits of Arthur Chute and Frances Lindsay Chute. It says Frances was born 1776 daughter of John Lindsay.   If you note the above list does not have any "Female Frances"  .  You might have seen this already.

There are two other marriages with Lindsay connections  - Elizabeth Lindsay and Francis Curtis 28 June 1757and  Patrick Lindsay & Ellinor Galway  25 Oct 1758.  No addresses listed.

I don't have anything after 1804.

There is a listing for a marriage of George Ormsby Capt. Royal Artillery and Grace Roch Licence 13 Jan 1803

A Marriage for Robert Ormesby (spelling with E) & Francis (male spelling) Symons 27 April,1797

There is a burial for Francis Woodley  16 Mar 1798 which might interest Lorc who replied to you.

Hope there is some helpful snippet there somewhere.

Mary

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary/Celtic Liberty   Francis Woodley is a cousin. Linked to other cousins Lindseys of Peake. My 2xgt gm was Alicia  daughter of Henry Lindsey of Peake.  Thanks. Francis Woodley's house photo is on my website."LEEDES"

LORC/LORRAINE

Offline juneinsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary,
Thank you very much for Lindsay info. It's wonderful as it confirms Francis as John Lindsays spouse and DofB of Margaret Matilda. I made a written copy of a Francis Lindsay's will from a book in Dublin library on one visit which seemed to be the same family but had no info re marriage to John. Sadly I havent' been able to confirm parentage of my Matilda Wiley (b abt 1830 and married to Robert Mellon 12 Dec 1854 in Killelagh, Londonderry) She is my 2nd great grandmother.  So I may not have a Lindsay connection after all - very sad! Especially as I purchased a rare book of another family member (also John Lindsay) who was a well-known numismatist (coins) in 19th century. I have not totally given up though!!
Martin, Wiley, Mellon.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi June,

Don't know if I have helped or confused you more.  The dates I gave are actually the baptismal dates and not the birth dates.

Good luck with the search anyway.

For Lorraine,

Is that photo on the "Radleys of Cork" site and in what section please? I would love to see it.
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,