Author Topic: John Lindsay died 1802  (Read 23845 times)

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lindsay died 1802
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorc

I've been pondering if there is a connection with the Lindsay's of Blackrock and Henry Lindsay of Peake. They are all very new to me and it's taking me some time to sort through newspapers etc to work out the relationships.

I had a look at your Radley's website. Many thanks, you have a lot of great info there & photos.

So far I think I have my line back to John Lindsay born abt 1740 & died 1801 (HC 3 Dec 1801 - John Lindsay esq of Lindville, Burgess, in Bristol). He married Frances Johnson in 1760. Their son John Lindsay jnr bap 1767 (a barrister), married in 1801 to Jane Woodley (parents not known to me). I think it likely that the Lindsay residence 'Janeville' was named after Jane Woodley.
I think you will find that LindsEy, Radley, Woodley are all cousins or related by marriage.  Henry Lindsey was born  within 2 years of John Lindsey, therefore most likely brothers.
Lorraine

I see from your website that Mary Lindsay, dau of Henry Lindsay of Peake, married Anthony Woodley of Myshell in 1805; and that you have this Lindsay line back to Thomas Lindsay of Macroom who married Mary Browne in 1746.

John Lindsay jnr & Jane Woodley had at least 2 sons - Joseph Woodley Lindsay (1804-1888) & Francis Woodley Lindsay (abt 1811-1872). Encumbered estates Vol 7: John Lindsay, owner/Joseph Woodley Lindsay, petitioner - Lindville, Janeville, Maryville and property on the Wellington Rd.

I'd be interested in exploring this some more.

Cheers, Fran
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
I thin k you will find that LindsEy, Radley, Woodley are all cousins or related by marriage. Henry and John are separated by two years and most likely brothers.
Lorraine
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline irish set

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 07:17 BST (UK) »
I have a memorial for John Lindsay at Blackrock but it says of
Maryville, Blackrock died April 5 1867 or 1887 aged 75 also his wife Anne and sons and there are five other Lindsay names at the end of the monument.

File won't attach too large so if you want to send me  a PM ( private message with your email address I can send it to you)

Mary

Thank you so much Mary for all your help, and the info & great photos. Wonderful to have. My Lindsay research has gone ahead leaps and bounds. Thank you so much.
Cheers, Fran

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
You are welcome, as I said if I find anything relevant to your search I will send it on to
you.   My friend in UK Lorc's cousin will be in touch with you shortly.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline barrybradfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
The main burial ground for the Lindsay's appears to be a large vault in Moviddy church (Crookstown). I note the following from two grave markers above the vault. "This is the burial place of The Lindsay Family. Here also lies the body of John Lindsay who departed this life ........1782 aged 29." (looks like 29 but the two could possibly be something else) and next to it is the following grave marker. "Here lies the body of Mrs Alias (as spelt) Lindsay wife of Mr Henry Lindsay of Peake who departed this life 17th August 1801 aged 40. She had issue...............a daughter"..........rest is buried. These Lindsay's connected to my Bradfield/Good family.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

I visited St.Helens, Moviddy last year with a lady from England who was a direct descendant of the Lindsays from Peake Coachford.    She brought flowers to the graves and we did manage to decipher the end of the headstone.  I can't put my hand on it just now.

In the Cork and Ross marriage licence bonds index for Lindsay. There is a James Good who married  Mary Lindsey in 1774. I wonder if this Mary could be a daughter of Thomas Lindsey who married Mary Browne in 1746.  There was an Ann Lindsay  married to a "Good".   From my recollections I think they lived at Ardnaneen ( which is quite near Macroom).   

The Lindsay families from Cork City, ( Lindville, Maryville and Janeville in Blackrock Cork City) and also from South Terrace Cork are buried at St Finbarrs Cathedral Cork.   More of these Lindsays are buried at St. Michaels Church & Cemetery Blackrock.  Some more are buried at Magourney , Coachford.

I have headstone photos for most of these burials if you need any let me know.

We have been in touch before by email, as Ginni Swanton gave me your contact details re my Bradfields of Tullyglass. 

Generally we don't use our own names on this site just user names. 

If you are looking for something specific I may be able to help you.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Barry Bradfield   Henry Lindsey and Alice Crooke are my 3x  great grandparents. See Radleys of Cork.  Lorraine

Offline barrybradfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 September 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
It is James Good / Mary Lindsay I am Interested in. Their son James Good (b1779) married Ann Bradfield. The following come from Macroom Church records. I have most of the Bradfields sorted out now if you need anything further.

15th September 1784. Ann the daughter of James Good of Kilmichael at Mr Linseys, Magourney. (Coachford)

20th October 1787. Elizabeth the daughter of William Good.
31st May 1789. Mary the daughter of William & Elizabeth Good of Mashanaglass in the parish of Aghinagh.
William Good married Elizabeth Unkles in 1775 (MLB)

25th October 1795. Private. Elizabeth the daughter of Henry Smith of Carbery and Hannah his wife otherwise Good of Mashanaglass in the parish of Aghinagh.
Henry Smith married a Mary Good in 1794. This looks like him. Mary Rebecca Good?

11th May 1821. James son of James Good of Ummera in the parish of Aghinagh and Ann his wife.
20th January 1825. Sarah of James and Ann Good, Macroom.
James married Ann Bradfield in 1816. MLB
James Good of Ummera, Macroom died July 18th, buried July 20th 1862, aged 83 years.
Ann Good Shannaglass, Macroom died June 26th 1862 aged 78 years.

James Good (1779-1862) and Ann Bradfield (1784-1862).

Offline barrybradfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 September 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Lorraine. I have not done a lot on the Lindsays other than finding their graves in line / adjoining the Goods graves in Moviddy (Crookstown).