Author Topic: John Lindsay died 1802  (Read 23945 times)

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lindsay died 1802
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Mary  Leads House is on that site you mentioned. On page that says Radleys 1590/1900. First house pic. Belonged to Frrancis Woodley who married into Lindseys. There is a book that can be purchased , I think, FAMINE IN MUSKERRY  which has a lot of information on the  anglo/Irish in that area.  Lorraine
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that had a look - nice house.
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline irish set

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 12 06:04 BST (UK) »
To Mary (Celtic Liberty)

Thank you so much for posting the baptisms of John Lindsay & Frances Johnson at St Finbarr, Cork.

Their son Francis bap 1776 is my ancestor. I've only just discovered this - thanks to you - and thanks to the clues Francis provided (he named one son, Noble Johnson Weatherall Lindsay, and then this son Noble wrote in the family bible that his father Francis was from Cork). Francis was in Somerset by 1828 and his son Noble was in Australia by 1849.

You mention a book of St Finbarr. Is this something I could purchase? I've now found quite a bit on the Lindsay, Johnson & Wetherall families of Cork - mostly from the vols of O'Kief, Coshe Mang, etc, (newspapers and Cork Council Books) but would love to cross check with whatever might be available in parish registers.

Many thanks, Fran

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:16 BST (UK) »

Hi Fran,

Glad to be able to help.   

I found a marriage for what I think is your John Lindsay and Miss Frances Johnson details from Cork Evening Post 28 Jan 1760
( from Rosemary Ffolliot's index - Cork City Library) ---

CEP M  28 Jan 1760   Thursday last was married at Rathcooney Church John Lindsay of Glinfield in the co of Tipperary Esq. to Miss Johnson, dau of Mr. Noblet Johnson, late of this city....... £4,000

another one of interest to you is --

HC ( Hibernian Chronicle) M 30 Sept 1799    Charles Ormsby of the city of Dublin Esq. to Miss Margaret Matilda Lindsay dau of
John Lindsay of Lindville Esq.

a third one ---

HC M 4th Sept 1797  last Tuesday at St. Finbarr's Arthur Chute Esq. of the co of Kerry to Miss Lindsay dau of John Lindsay of
Lindville Esq. £2.500 ( MLB  Frances Lindsay)

CMC (Cork Mercantile Chronicle) W 18th Oct 1809 on the 3rd inst at Bath, William Piersy Esq. to Miss Lindsay dau of the late John Lindsay of Lindville.   ( an interesting one which you might not have)

You asked about the record book from St. Finbarres.  It is called Register of the Cathedral of St. Finbarre. Cork 1753-1804 by
Alicia St. Leger.  It is available to purchase from the Church of Ireland Representative Church Body, Dublin
web site www.ireland.anglican.org   or the page relevant to actually ordering one  http://ireland.anglican.org/about/43

The Lindsays lived in Blackrock Cork at three large adjoining estates, named Lindville, Maryville and Janeville.   I actually had one of their ancestors visit Cork earlier this year and we covered a lot of ground!!!   Visiting lots of cemeteries where I had found headstones, and  large old houses in Peake, Aghabullogue and Coachford.   We even got a guided tour of one of them by a
very nice lady which was a great thrill for the ancestors!

Good luck with search, hope the above helps

mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline irish set

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!

I will send for the book - many thanks. I googled the title and there's a copy in the Genealogy Library in Sydney, but I think I'd still like to have a copy to keep.

And thanks for the additional marriage details. I'm slowly piecing the families together. And I've been looking at modern maps of Blackrock and can find streetnames Lindville & Maryville. Great to see where their homes would have been.

Were the headstones you found of Lindsay's? I believe there is a memorial to John Lindsay 1789-1870 in the Cathedral (he was the author of several books on coins). If I'm correct, he's a grandson of John Lindsay & Frances Johnson.

It's wonderful what can be found - Francis had been a brick wall for many years.

Thanks again, Fran

Offline irish set

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 April 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mary, just realised my mistake with the memorial to John Lindsay d1870 - it's at St Michael's Blackrock (not the Cathedral).
Cheers, Fran

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 April 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
I have a memorial for John Lindsay at Blackrock but it says of
Maryville, Blackrock died April 5 1867 or 1887 aged 75 also his wife Anne and sons and there are five other Lindsay names at the end of the monument.

File won't attach too large so if you want to send me  a PM ( private message with your email address I can send it to you)

Mary

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 April 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mary, just realised my mistake with the memorial to John Lindsay d1870 - it's at St Michael's Blackrock (not the Cathedral).
Cheers, Fran
I believe you might belong to my family ..Henry Lindsey of Peake . His dtr(Alice   md my 2 gt gfr Thomas Radley of Rockville.  See my website www.radleysofcork.bigpondhosting.com. The people Mary took around Cork were my present day cousins.

Lorc
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline irish set

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorc

I've been pondering if there is a connection with the Lindsay's of Blackrock and Henry Lindsay of Peake. They are all very new to me and it's taking me some time to sort through newspapers etc to work out the relationships.

I had a look at your Radley's website. Many thanks, you have a lot of great info there & photos.

So far I think I have my line back to John Lindsay born abt 1740 & died 1801 (HC 3 Dec 1801 - John Lindsay esq of Lindville, Burgess, in Bristol). He married Frances Johnson in 1760. Their son John Lindsay jnr bap 1767 (a barrister), married in 1801 to Jane Woodley (parents not known to me). I think it likely that the Lindsay residence 'Janeville' was named after Jane Woodley.

I see from your website that Mary Lindsay, dau of Henry Lindsay of Peake, married Anthony Woodley of Myshell in 1805; and that you have this Lindsay line back to Thomas Lindsay of Macroom who married Mary Browne in 1746.

John Lindsay jnr & Jane Woodley had at least 2 sons - Joseph Woodley Lindsay (1804-1888) & Francis Woodley Lindsay (abt 1811-1872). Encumbered estates Vol 7: John Lindsay, owner/Joseph Woodley Lindsay, petitioner - Lindville, Janeville, Maryville and property on the Wellington Rd.

I'd be interested in exploring this some more.

Cheers, Fran