Author Topic: Moir Decendents London Ontario  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Kath26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moir Decendents London Ontario
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for decendents of James Edmond Moir or Helen Moir.
Emigrated from Aberdeen Scotland  before 1946.
Last known address Dundas Street London Ontario. They had 2 sons Gordon and Stuart.
Anyone with any information or could  help point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Kath

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Moir Decendents London Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 09 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kath,

I am also doing genealogy research in London Ontario. You don't say when these people migrated and whether the boys were born in Scotland or Canada and their ages. You may want to contact the London Punic Library at http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/. They have the local and area telephone directories there and I think they have a genealogy dept there as well. In addition you may want to contact the Middlesex genealogy group which is also located in London. Thier online addy is  http://www.mirror.org/groups/genealogy.

Hope this helps,

JDC, a former London ON resident
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Kath26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello JDC thanks for the information.   I ampretty sure the boys were born in Canada.   All I have is a picture to go on.  I will contact the two organisations you have suggested.
Thanks Kath.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Kath:

This doesn't help with searching for descendants, but there is a passenger list for a James Moir, born c1892.  He was travelling from Canada to the U.S. in 1914.  It looks like his father was William Moir, living in Fetterang_ _? Aberdeen.  Could this be your James, and if you don't have this record, would you like the remainder of the information?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I do not have access to additional information, perhaps someone else may have access:
Canada Ocean Arrivals, Helen Gordon Moir.  Arriving between 1919 and 1924, Saint John, New Brunswick.  Apparently, she arrived in 1922.

I also see a James Edmond Moir and Stuart Moir arriving the same year, same place.
--------
James Moir is also mentioned.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Kath26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Thank you for the information received .
The second one seems to fit perfectly with what little information i have .
It looks like the children were born here in Scotland instead of Canada as i had previously thought. I believe she may have had a sister already emigrated out there and she possibly went across first followed by James Edmond her husband.It is also very interesting to learn they arrived at Saint John NB so i will try and see if i can find any more information there .
Thanks again

Kath

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Out of curios]usity I wondered if there still is a Moir still on Dundas Street and checked the online phone directory (http://www.canada411.ca/) and there is - an S Moir. Perhaps there are some descendants still there?

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 09 03:19 GMT (UK) »
There are Form 30As on ancestry.ca and there is one filled out for Helen Gordon and James Edmond Moir.  They travelled on the Metagama arriving Saint John New Brunswick 1 Dec 1922.  They were emigrating from Aberdeen Scotland.
Helen was b. 1892 dufftown Scotland, she was intending to settle in Canada, going to her brother Archie Stuart at Argyle Park, London June, London, Ontario.  contact in Scotland was her sister-in-law Mrs. Joanna Moffat of 378 Esslemont Ave. Aberdeen.
James Edmond was b. 1893 Aberdeen, his occupation was motor body builder.  His contact was his sister, Mrs. Moffat at the above address.

There is also a Form 30A for Archibald Stuart who travelled to Quebec on the Victorian arriving June 18, 1920.  His contact in Scotland was his father, James Stuart of 15 Bannanall(?) Rd Abderdeen.  He was b. 1887 Dufftown.  He claimed Canadian not Scottish citizenship.  He had lived in Alberville, Quebec previously.  He had arrived April 12, 1914 at Halifax and left April 20, 1916 from Halifax.  This 1916 departure had been funded by his joining the Canadian Expeditionary Forces to fight in WWI.
In 1920 he gave his destination as his sister Mrs. Geogena ?) Watt of London Ontario.  He also indicated he was married.

Debbie

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

If I recall correctly, Argyle Park is located in the east side of the City of London close to Dundas Street. There is also a new sub-division with same name near the University at the north of of the city. However, the east side seems more logical location in this case.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England