Author Topic: Gofton of Monkseaton Tynemouth, anywhere in Northumberland  (Read 35104 times)

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gofton of Monkseaton Tynemouth, anywhere in Northumberland
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 21 August 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
I would think that if they were farmers,   they would be keen to keep the land in the family.

I've been looking at some of the family trees posted around the internet for this family.

A major mistake of several of them,  is that they claim that Elizabeth Gofton,  born in Kent,  who appears aged 22 in the 1871 census,  with Joseph and Dorothy Gofton ( both aged 65 ),  is their daughter.   The census actually says she is their daughter,  but actually the census-taker was wrong, for some reason.

This Elizabeth Gofton aged 22 who appears as the daughter of Joseph and Dorothy Gofton in 1871, is actually their daughter-in-law,  not daughter.   She was the wife of Ralph Gofton born 1838,   who appears to be the second son of Joseph and Dorothy Gofton.  She was married to him in London in 1867.   Her maiden name is Elizabeth Mary Seggie.   Her apparent oldest son is Edward, aged 1,  correctly described as the grandson of Joseph and Dorothy.

In 1881,  she is living with her husband Ralph and six children including Edward who is now 11, and she is still correctly described as from Kent.

In 1883,  this family moved to Queensland Australia.  Ralph died in 1914 and Elizabeth in 1940.  They had about 13 children in total.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 21 August 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Just to correct that last post,   the apparently oldest child of Ralph Gofton (1838-1914)  and his wife Elizabeth Mary Seggie Gofton (c.1849-1940)  was Joseph Gofton.    He's the one who appears aged 1 in 1871 and aged 11 in 1881.     The Edward erroneously mentioned in the previous post was one of his younger brothers.

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 21 August 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you for clearing that up I'll correct my tree.

Trying to work out how we might be related ;-)
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 21 August 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Well you are not related to me,  because my brother's wife is the Gofton.  My brother's wife, and his children, might be related to you.

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 23 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to correct that last post,   the apparently oldest child of Ralph Gofton (1838-1914)  and his wife Elizabeth Mary Seggie Gofton (c.1849-1940)  was Joseph Gofton.    He's the one who appears aged 1 in 1871 and aged 11 in 1881.     The Edward erroneously mentioned in the previous post was one of his younger brothers.

So, revisited this.  In the 1851 census Joseph Gupton and Dorthy Gupton (their spelling not mine) have a 19 year old daughter called Elizabeth Fenney Gupton.  I found a marriage between her and John Dawson and they are together in the 1861 census.

Then the rest of your stuff appears to be correct except Ralph was the 4th child oand 3rd son of the parents.
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)