Author Topic: Christine McKenzie, b. Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire  (Read 4612 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christine McKenzie, b. Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire
« on: Friday 27 November 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
In my husband's tree, have an elusive 'Niece" - 
on 1871 Census Kiltarlity, Scotland, Christina Mckenzie (5) appears with Uncle Hugh Chisholm, (46), his sister Catherine 24, & with other nieces of Hugh - Catherine McLeod (16),  Margaret McLeod (10), Margaret Matheson (7).
On 1881 Census, Hugh (57), with his mother Catherine Chisholm (nee Kennedy) (79), niece Christina McKenzie (15 ), and a nephew Alexander Noble (7).(His father w3as John Chisholm born 1795, Kiltarlity.)
On 1891 Census: Living At Bengal Cottage, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, Christina McKenzie appears as dom. serv. general, 20 yrs., niece, unmarried, with (aunt ?) Margaret Chisholm (53), Head, Margaret's dau. Margaret ('Maggie') Matheson (26) and two grandchildren Mary (7) and Catherine MacLean (3).
(Catherine Chisholm was also living at 'Bengal Cottage', and died there in 1890, her granddaughter 'Maggie' Matheson being witness on certificate.)
I feel that Christina must be a dau. of a female Chisholm, who married a McKenzie but have been unable to trace her birth.   
Being shown as a niece of Hugh, she would have to be a child of one of his sisters - Anne, Jannet, Christy, or Catherine who were born between years 1826 to 1846. 
Can anyone help further with this problem?   Ruth

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Christine Chisholm, b. Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

She's certainly elusive!

I suspect she might be an illegitimate daughter. Do all the censuses show her as born in Kiltarlity?

As you've probably confirmed in your own search, there are no births for a Chr* M*cKenzie in Kiltarlity according to her age.

I had found 2 Chisholms (with first names according to your 4 sisters) that married MacKenzies in Inverness: Catherine (in 1859) and Ann (in 1861). But their parents do not coincide with those of Hugh.

One possibility is that Christina's birth was not registered in Kiltarlity. Another possibility, if she was illegitimate, is that she was registered with her mothers surname, Chisholm. I had this situation in my own tree: a daughter called Mary Henderson Fraser appeared as such in all censuses. I couldn't find her birth anywhere. She was the illegitimate daughter of an Elspet Middleton, and I finally found her record as Mary Henderson Middleton, with no reference of any kind to a Fraser.

Sorry not to have been able to help you further.

Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Christine Chisholm, b. Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 16:41 GMT (UK) »
hi Ruth  :)

maybe -
chirsty chisholm 21st oct 1865 kiltarlity inverness mother chirsty chisholm(IGI)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christine McKenzie, b. Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, in my original Post I put the person's name as Chisholm - should have been CHRISTINA McKENZIE.    Still looking!