Author Topic: ALDERDICE of Derriaghy  (Read 19073 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ALDERDICE of Derriaghy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought -  were John Partridge and Jane Alderdice Quakers??  If so, they may have had a Quaker marriage - no priest etc. and no registration.  Civil registration of marriages started in 1845 I believe, so just MAYBE they were already living together then.  I notice that they had children after 1864 whose births were registered, but what about the children born before 1864?  No apparent sign of them.  There was a strong Quaker contingent in Lisburn.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 December 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For marriages before 1845 and Births before 1864 you would need to know the Church that they attended. By looking up the church records you could find their marriage and births of their children.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:41 GMT (UK) »

No person by the name of John Partridge was found on the site that you offered. Odd as there must be 50 John Partridges on other sites.

If you back to the site again, you will find John Partridge Senior leasing land and paying tithes in 1845 in Legmore Townland, and John Partrige (no d) doing the same in Aughalislane.  Also Edward and Matthew Alderdice in Derriaghy Townland.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 December 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
The item that you wrote about is not my Jane Alderdice. She married John Partridge in 1850  approx.

They were not Quakers, R.Catholics, They were both Church of Ireland,Christ Church Derriaghy, which is Church of Ireland, and they were married, as were their parents before them, 

and some of their sons after them, as was my grandfather  Boomer Partridge. They were all very high up in the Royal Black (Sir) or the

Orange Lodge (Grand Master). They would not have been allowed to live together out of a marriage or marry another religion.
I think the only way to get their marriage cert. is through the Christ Church in Derriaghy. But, How would I go about doing that?

They very well could have had a civil marriage in their church, from what I've seen most people did have civil marriages. I just need the document.

Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 December 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
hi

Have you seen this about Christ Church Derriaghy.

http://www.lisburn.com/books/derriaghy/derriaghy6.html

You can view some of the records at PRONI if you live in Northern ireland or email them. Be warned they will charge for doing lookups.

Another way would be to try contacting the church direct.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 December 09 22:53 GMT (UK) »

No person by the name of John Partridge was found on the site that you offered. Odd as there must be 50 John Partridges on other sites.

If you back to the site again, you will find John Partridge Senior leasing land and paying tithes in 1845 in Legmore Townland, and John Partrige (no d) doing the same in Aughalislane.  Also Edward and Matthew Alderdice in Derriaghy Townland.
RosemaryJoan

***********************************************************************************************
I believe all of the people listed are "land owners," I know they were land owners and also owned the 300 year old Inn in Derriaghy called Travellers Rest. (name changed last year to something else.)The Alderdice family owned that Inn, the same family that their  Jane  married John, my gr grandfather.  Jane alderdice's father's name I believe was William.  That's why I don't understand why there isn't any information on my gr. grandparents as they were very well known.

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 December 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
hi

Have you seen this about Christ Church Derriaghy.

http://www.lisburn.com/books/derriaghy/derriaghy6.html

You can view some of the records at PRONI if you live in Northern ireland or email them. Be warned they will charge for doing lookups.

Another way would be to try contacting the church direct.

************************************************************************************
Yes, I have that information. When I sent to PRONI for their marriage cert. I was told I should have sent to GRONI. But thank you John that is a fantastic site. What I need is John Partridge's Parents names so I can go on with my research. Their line goes back to the Huguenots and somewhere there will be a Boomer (Bulmer) male marrying a Partridge and the name  Boomer has  passed down as first names in my side of the family. But I need John Partridge's father and mother.
 names to guide me on. It is most frustrating as they would have been well known in the Derriaghy area.

John

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 December 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
hi

You won't get a Marriage Cert. from PRONI but they should have been able to look up the Church's records to see if there was a marriage and give you the details. If i have time over Christmas i will be going to PRONI and I will have a look for you.

So John Partridge and Jane Alderdice were married in about 1850 in Christ Church Derriaghy. You want details of Parents and if i can find their births.

John

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 December 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Mykin, it was myself who was researching the Orange in the area, and with John being a Past Master of my own lodge I had started to research the surname about a year a go.

I've no doubt at all that all the Partridges in the area were associated with Derriaghy Church of Ireland as you have quite rightly stated - the Inn itself is a stones throw from the Church.

There are two Partridge burials in the 1840s that I have noted down in the past but can't remember why or where from:

PARTRIDGE
Daniel Partridge
died 26 Jan 1849 aged 82
Elenor Partridge
died 31 Jan 1845 aged 56

If I were you I'd also look into the marriage of Hugh Partridge and Ellen Wiley - I believe his father was called Thomas and this could well have been John's father also.

If you can hold up until Christmas, I am planning a visit to the PRONI and will specifically look up Derriaghy CofI registers.
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down