Author Topic: Gee's in Leicestershire  (Read 19469 times)

Offline niglor

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gee's in Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
I have some Gees in my family tree. My gt gt gt grandmother Mary Gee (1777-1828) of Barwell. Her father was Thomas. This is the only info i have on them so be great if anyone can help me with anything else  My Mary Gee married Daniel Dale.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
Just tagging this thread so I can find it again.......

Ann Elizabeth Gee born 1830 Welford, Northamptonshire married John Hames Lutterworth district 1859 they lived at Rotherby Leicester until John died then Ann was in Husbands Bosworth Leicestershire

Only found her surname yesterday so no idea about other family parents/siblings etc but do know many 'Leicester Families' who did move from Northamptonshire especially from the connecting lines of the 'Barrett', 'Skinner' 'Thompson' shoe families
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline chaneyline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Michelle,
Hope you are still on the site.
If so could you send me a photo of your father or grandfather I would be interested to see if there is any resemblance.

Martin G
Where are you in the country?

Offline Pingle70

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 October 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have just wandered onto this post.
My great grandmother was Francis Gertrude Gee.

I am going to read this thread though thoroughly as I think this is my family !

Mandy.

Offline Drobbly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 August 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
In Drobbly's post earlier he mentions that his ancestor William Gee married Elizabeth Sneath in Ayston on 1 June 1830. According to the Family Search site a William Gee married an Elizabeth Evertt in Ayston on 31 May 1830. The same site also states that William Gee married Elizabeth Sneath on 31 May 1830. I guess that they can't both be correct. Ayston was too small a village to have such a coincidence surely!

I appreciate that Family Search may not always be correct, given the source of some of its records, but I'd be interested in the provenance of Drobbly's source because if both are intended to be the same marriage, one of the records must be incorrect.

I ask because I believe that this William Gee was one of my great great grandfathers.

cheers

Tony

The Sneath marriage is correct, one of the sons had a middle name of Sneath, sorry it took so long to reply
Gees in Leicester, Somerby and Rutland
Thornes in Leicester and Hinckley
Bakers in Coventry
Clarkes in Leicester
Greens and Vickers in Lincolnshire (Louth area)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 August 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Wow Drobbly, that was a long time but thanks anyway.

Since I first posted that, findmypast has published images of parish marriage records and there is one for this marriage. So, as you say, the lady's name was definitely Sneath and the marriage took place on 31 May 1830, the day after the third banns were announced. The couple were my great great grandparents on my mother's side.

Are we therefore related?

Tony