Author Topic: Suffolk Surnames List and Cosford Database  (Read 37485 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Suffolk Surnames List and Cosford Database
« on: Saturday 28 November 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
As many of you are getting in touch regarding the absence of the two above named websites I though I ought to put a message here.

Unfortunately I have no idea what has happened, the two websites were still coming from my late web partner Ray's home PC.  Possibly the family have changed PCs?

A friend in Australia has previously hosted an updated version of my website earlier this year, but two versions of the Surnames List was not a good idea.

As some of you know, my husband is presently involved with the setting up of a Framlingham Photographic Archive and this will be going live in the next few weeks.

All being well, I will use the same web designer to help me to re-launch the Surnames List in the new year - my search for another web partner proved fruitless, so I am having to save my pennies to see what can be done.

If you have any queries relating to the Surnames List I will be happy to help.

If we have lost the Cosford Database that will be very sad, Ray and several other researchers put such a lot into that web site - and all the information was taken from records held at the Suffolk Record Office over many years.

With best wishes and thank you for your support,

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Surnames List and Cosford Database
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I've found an archived version of the Cosford Database on archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080611133922/http://www.cosford-database.co.uk/

Not everything will be there, but most of the site does appear to have been archived.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link sunnylew - I have been heavily reliant on Ray's data over the years, and it would be the most awful shame if all that work is lost.  I was fortunate enough to have been in contact with Ray some years ago at the beginning of my research and he was enormously helpful regarding my Suffolk family tree and I really feel that these databases should stand as a memorial to his tireless enthusiasm for family history.

Regards to both sunnylew and pat, and all who read this post,

Greensleeves (whose main line emanates from Rattlesden/Hitcham/Brettenham but who now lives in Wales)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wardyfam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandad Rowland Cockle at work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Thank you Suffolkmawther for that sad information concerning the lose of the site, and many thanks for the link to the archived site Pat. I was really panicking when I tried to get on the cosford-database and nothing came up this morning. If Rays site had been lost, it would have been such a disaster for all us whose ancestors originated in Suffolk, and would have been such a sad waste after all the hard work that Ray, and others did on it to make life simpler for us to find our Suffolk connections.

Pat x

Offline ronfoss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 December 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Its such a shame that the cosford datebase has been lost i am wonding if the one the people had a list on the site because we were both related to ray long he was my 4 cousin he done some work for me in about 2005 and i have passed the cosford database on to other family memebers one of the people is monique on the list can help in anyway in new zealand
ron foss

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 09 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Ron, until Ray's widow decides what is to happen - there is an archived version of the Cosford Database at

http://web.archive.org/web/20080611133922/http://www.cosford-database.co.uk/

Unfortunately my web site is not archived, but I do have a complete copy of it on my home PC if anyone needs to have a Parish Record Lookup or check a surname.

Certainly, if anyone thinks they can help with the Surnames List I would love to hear from them  :D
Pat ...
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline ronfoss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 December 09 16:29 GMT (UK) »
hi there pat we have chatted before the only person who i can think of is monique jones she had a list on the cosford database her email is (*) ty for the link back to the database which is still helpfull
best wishes and a merry christmas and a happy new year
ron

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses, as per RootsChat policy. Please use our secure PM (personal mssage) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
            I have only found out today about Ray. Ray once sent me an extensive listing showing our family link, I think we were fifth cousins twice removed, if I remember!! The Cosford database was absoultely amazing and through this I was able to find an incredible amount about my Wilding ancestors from Kettlebaston and further afield. I often bounced ideas around with Ray.
            Sadly I spend far too much time on my deadpubs site these days, but hey ho.
            As I hate to see any excellent resources lost, e.g. I was able to rejuvenate the Essex Pubs site by Ian Hunter, if I can help in anyway, please let me know. I have already emailed Monique Jones, as a long shot.
            Have a great New Year to everyone, but this is a a real shame, and a real dampener to 2010.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 January 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I will be speaking with Ray's widow again and there is someone willing to take on Ray's web site, of course it will be Ray's family who decide what will happen.

The Framlingham Photographic Archive is coming along nicely and as soon as that is up and running, I am hoping to get the Surnames List back on air.

Pat ...
I have to find two more!