Author Topic: COMPLETED - Poole (Parkstone) Cemetery  (Read 12201 times)

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Poole (Parkstone) Cemetery
« on: Saturday 28 November 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching 1,500+ casualties connected with the South Lancashire Regiment during WW2, and am hoping that some once can help me obtain a photograph of the headstone for the following man, who is buried at Parkstone Cemetery Poole.

TOWNEND, GERALD ARTHUR, 5516 - Grave Row R. Grave 55.
Commanding Oficer 1st Battalion from 18th June 1940 until his death on the 4th October 1941 aged 48.  Awarded Military Cross for Gallantry with the Regiment in 1919 during WW1 as the adjuncant with the 9th Bn in Macedonia.  Lt Col Townend, was killed in a motorcycle accident during the battalion move Henlow to Parkstone, Dorset.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: POOLE (PARKSTONE) CEMETERY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Had a brief look - not very promising. How sure are you of the Row, as Row R looks like a mixture of modern (1980s/90s) graves one side of the path and pre 1900 which are very overgrown (one has a large tree growing out of it), on the other side. Row RR might be more likely, but I ran out of time. There looks like no periods when the cemetery is manned - there is just a telephone number for Poole Crematorium for information. I might try again tomorrow with a bit more time available. Are you expecting a military headstone, as these are easier to locate from a distance?

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: POOLE (PARKSTONE) CEMETERY
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Had a brief look - not very promising. How sure are you of the Row, as Row R looks like a mixture of modern (1980s/90s) graves one side of the path and pre 1900 which are very overgrown (one has a large tree growing out of it), on the other side. Row RR might be more likely, but I ran out of time. There looks like no periods when the cemetery is manned - there is just a telephone number for Poole Crematorium for information. I might try again tomorrow with a bit more time available. Are you expecting a military headstone, as these are easier to locate from a distance?

Richard

Richard, that was quick, blimey.  Unfortuenatley, I only have the information on the CWGC site in relation to the loaction of the Grave, and it is Row R acording to the.  Given the fact that he was a regular soldier for 30 yrs i suspect it will be a CWGC headstone, but cant say for shore.

Thanks for taking the time

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Poole (Parkstone) Cemetery
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
We're less than 5 minutes away, and I had a few minutes while waiting for all the women in the house to get ready to go out! Got to go to football now, but should have half an hour tomorrow to walk the whole row. Perhaps the new end has some older graves over by the hedge.

Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
We're less than 5 minutes away, and I had a few minutes while waiting for all the women in the house to get ready to go out! Got to go to football now, but should have half an hour tomorrow to walk the whole row. Perhaps the new end has some older graves over by the hedge.

Richard

Richard, you are a gent

Phil

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

No joy I'm afraid. I managed to find 30 minutes with no rain and explored as much as I could. I walked all Row R, and as I said there is no sign. The row is split by 2 paths - the very oldest section (1900 ish) is on the Southern end and quite overgrown, there is a section between the paths with only one or two headstones, and then the Northern section has graves starting at 1983 and running to 1986. If you took the oldest (southern) section as starting at number 1, then number 55 would be in the 1980s part, so it looks like an error. I also looked at any CWGC headstones I could find. These are mostly WW1 and just after (there are 4 in one row from 1919 - presumably the flu epidemic), but I found a pilot from October 1940 (in about Row G, but mixed up with more recent graves). I think your next step might be to ask Poole Council. There is a notice at the entrance referring enquiries to Poole Crematorium (01202 602582). They presumably hold the records, and may be prepared to confirm the location, and if it is correct, where the numbering starts, and which bit of Row R the grave is in. I can't believe it doesn't have a stone, as the CWGC would have sorted that, unless there was a family stone.
The only other possibility is - are you sure it is Parkstone Cemetery, and not Poole or Branksome?
If you find any more, let me know and I will have another look.

Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

No joy I'm afraid. I managed to find 30 minutes with no rain and explored as much as I could. I walked all Row R, and as I said there is no sign. The row is split by 2 paths - the very oldest section (1900 ish) is on the Southern end and quite overgrown, there is a section between the paths with only one or two headstones, and then the Northern section has graves starting at 1983 and running to 1986. If you took the oldest (southern) section as starting at number 1, then number 55 would be in the 1980s part, so it looks like an error. I also looked at any CWGC headstones I could find. These are mostly WW1 and just after (there are 4 in one row from 1919 - presumably the flu epidemic), but I found a pilot from October 1940 (in about Row G, but mixed up with more recent graves). I think your next step might be to ask Poole Council. There is a notice at the entrance referring enquiries to Poole Crematorium (01202 602582). They presumably hold the records, and may be prepared to confirm the location, and if it is correct, where the numbering starts, and which bit of Row R the grave is in. I can't believe it doesn't have a stone, as the CWGC would have sorted that, unless there was a family stone.
The only other possibility is - are you sure it is Parkstone Cemetery, and not Poole or Branksome?
If you find any more, let me know and I will have another look.

Richard

Thanks for trying Richard, I will see if I can get some confirmation

Phil

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
Any joy? I can look for you if you want.

I walked through the cemetery this afternoon - so pretty flowers everywhere.

8) 8)
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Any joy? I can look for you if you want.

I walked through the cemetery this afternoon - so pretty flowers everywhere.

8) 8)

Evening grubheam, still no joy, so any help you can give would be great.  i know that the headstone is not a CWGC one but a Private family one, which can bee seen in the small thumbnail shown in the link below

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=1370151

Phil