Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 72910 times)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mclarens perthshire
« on: Saturday 28 November 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
hello to everyone , first post on rootschat.

been tracing my family tree quite successfully back with scotlandspeople , but am now at a sticking point. now i'm not sure if it's me or the old parish records but here is where i have got back to.

to clarify the people i am looking for are

donald mclaren (kenmore parish) and mary mclaren(comrie parish) married at killin on 13th june 1802. found them and their subsequent marriage from their son's death certificate of 1867 at dalveich , lochearnhead.
and secondly archibald mclaren and margaret king (both balquidder parish)married 14th january 1797 , found them from their daughter's death certificate of 1867 at dalveich , lochearnhead.
the above 2 deaths in 1867 were within 30 days, and are recorded as no medical attendant or not certified , however by chance a listing on the same web page at dalveich a day later from one of them states scarlet fever.
any information or help would be appreciated.           gordon

p.s if any help the archibald mclaren is on the death certificate as a tailor to trade.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Welcome to Rootschat.  As I'm sure you're aware - you're searching in McLaren country.

A cursory search of the IGI - www.familysearch.org  brings up 10 children for Archibald amd Margaret:

1. JOHN MCLAREN -Ch: 29 APR 1798 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
2.  ROBERT MCLAREN - Ch: 22 DEC 1799 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
3. JANET MCLAREN - Ch: 10 OCT 1802 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
4, ARCHIBALD MCLAREN - Ch: 04 NOV 1804 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
5. JANET MCLAREN - Ch: 12 MAY 1807 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
6. DUNCAN MCLAREN - Ch 10 SEP 1809 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
7. MARGRET MCLAREN - Ch: 17 JUL 1812 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
8. MARGARET MCLAREN - Ch: 27 OCT 1814 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
9. WILLIAM MCLAREN - Ch: 20 SEP 1818 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
10. DONALD MCLAREN - Ch: 28 JAN 1821 Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland

I'm not related - my wife was born in Killin though.  What information are you looking for?

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 09 08:14 GMT (UK) »
hello steve
  just trying really to see how far i can get back. the archibald mclaren and margaret king that i have are on their daughter's death certificate of 1867 , but her name was catharine. could not find her birth , but her death certificate states her as being 58 , putting her being born about 1808/9. i can only presume i have the wrong archibald and margaret , via scotlandspeople (only 1 couple being listed at balquidder parish, within 15 years in perthshire prior to catharine's birth) or their were more children than is listed.
the names of all of them , duncan , donald , archibald , john etc are all common to my family tree , but they were common names at the time.

will have a look at familysearch and see if i can find anything.    thanks gordon

p.s tried archibald and margaret in family search wth a + or - 20 years for scotland , and still only 1 , the same as i found on scotlandspeople. looks like the old parish records , missing / partly lost etc.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes an awkwardv one.  We all get them.  Did your Catherine marry?  Is there an OPR for her.  Sometimes as you know a fathers name and occ. can be on it, although it's usually an 'of this parish'....

Also do you have her o the '41,51 and 61 census.

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
hi steve,
 have seen all 3 census , 1841 , 51 , 61 on scotlandspeople and catharine  who marries a donald mclaren (see first post) is listed at dalveich , lochearnhead across this time . i looked on the 1871 census not finding them, hence finding the death certificates for both in 1867 , confirming both sets of parents names. their eldest son donald(again) is my direct link , he is my g/g grandfather born 1838 , he is listed on his mother's death certificate being at dundurn , comrie ( about 2 miles away) , and his brother archibald on his father's certificate as being at ardveich (about 1/4 mile away) , both these two sons being named after their grandfathers. their were two other sons duncan and john , and a daughter mary.

seems more than coincidental only finding 1 archibald mclaren and margaret king , but cannot confirm. statutory records after 1855 are easy compared to OPR's.

i only have 3 generations incl myself for the 20th century , and 3 for the 19th taking me back to the 1808/9 period , a few of my ancestors not marrying until their early 30's.
have traced back and have photos of houses  where they stayed back to 1872. my line were at lochearnhead  , then glenartney , then port of menteith , then callendar ,  then meikleour. although some of these places are now in stirlingshire , they used to be in perthshire , so we never left perthshire.

quite happy though with what i have , and if i cannot get back any further , well that's ok.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Are you looking for any paticular McLaren's from Callander, mine go back to Archibald McLaren 1710 Callander, most of mine are either Callander or Kenmore...would be interesting to know your lines in Callander  ;D

Regards patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 09 11:41 GMT (UK) »
sorry patvp
  my line only stayed at Callandar , a short time at a farm called lagrannoch , now part of an industrial estate/housing. the part of my line who were their were my g/g grandfather donald and his family , however none were born here , his sons were born at port of monteith and the daughters at glenlednock , comrie. their were no surprises in my line , all are either shepherds , crofters or farm labourers on the various certificates i have for them.

you'll have the same names likely within your line .............with different generations

donald , duncan , john , archibald , peter

catharine , mary , jane (jessie) , elizabeth etc

the ancestors will meet someplace back with your line and mine , with balquidder , comrie , kenmore , killin , all west perthshire , and all really within walking or horseback distance.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I see that in all of Scotland - 1855 to 1900 there was only  1 Margaret Mclaren - other name King death - in 1861 in Perthshire - is she yours?

Regards,  Steve .   :O)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
sorry steve
       the margaret mclaren , nee king that i am looking for would have to had been born about 1770? i received her name from her daughter's death certificate (catharine) of 1867 , who was 58 at this time.

the margaret mclaren(king) you found was only born 1803 and died 1861.

thanks , will just have to plod away , and see what turns up.    gordon