Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 72908 times)

Offline HOUSE2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
Just found this post when searching for information about my Grt Grt Grandfather Peter McLaren. According to census he was born in Aberfoyle, Perthshire about 1815. He lived in the Gartocharn area on the census 1851-1871 and he was a tailor. He married Helen Duncan Keir 1834 in Balfron. He died 1885 at Jamestown, Dunbartonshire. On his death certificate his father is named as Alexander McLaren (farmer) but his mother is unknown! I would like to find out who Peter's mother was and any other information about his ancestors. Thank you.
McAdam - Dunbartonshire/Kilmaronock - Scotland
Colquhoun - Dunbartonshire - Luss/Cardross. Tayvallich
Hambley - Scotland and Cornwall
Giles - Lochgelly, Fife & Lanarkshire
Mathieson - Scotland
Deazeley - Scotland & Ireland
Yates - Lanarkshire
Gordon - Lanarkshire & Ireland
Whyte/White - Fife & Lanarkshire
McLaren - Perthshire & Dunbartonshire

Offline JennyBain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gordon,
I think we are distantly related :)
My g/g/g grandmother is Margaret McLaren, daughter of Archibald McLaren and Margaret King, who married John Bain and they emigrated Williamstown, South Australia in 1855. I am trying to identify/ clarify their parents and grandparents if possible.
Would greatly appreciate any help!
Best regards,
Jenny, Adelaide, SA

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 24 February 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny , yes I can tell you much more re Archibald McLaren and Margaret King , I have a lot off information re both families.

Archibald McLaren's parents were John McLaren and Catharine McLaren , both McLarens , John was from Carnlia , a now ruined farmtown , above Ardveich farm at Loch Earn . Catharine McLaren , Archibald's mother was a daughter off Donald McLaren of Ardveich , the chief in his day. Archibald baptised 7th September 1761 , was still alive on the 1841 census , and died sometime after in the 1840s (no death record).

Margaret King , was the daughter of John King and Janet McLaren , from Castaran , next to Edinample castle at Loch Earn , Margaret was baptised 4th February 1776.

Archibald McLaren and Margaret King were married at Balquhidder Church on the 14th January 1797.

On the 1841 census , Archibald is 79 , Margaret 65 , and granddaughter listed is Margaret Bain age 5.
If you are on facebook Jenny , look for me Gordon McLaren , pic with 2 flags , send friend request . Can send you all original records.

Gordon

Offline JennyBain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 25 February 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Gordon!!
This is all fantastic information and the record! I had noted these may be the parents of Archibald and Margaret in searching this week, but I wasn't sure at all. I saw that Donald was a Catherine McLaren's father but no idea he was a former Chief and hadn't looked any further until I could confirm. I really appreciate very much and will send you FB request.
Much gratitude from Adelaide family,
Jenny

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!
I am starting to research a new branch of my family tree and have come up with a McLaren and a Carmichael.

The only info I have so far is
Duncan Carmichael married Margaret McLaren and had a son, Allan Carmichael in 1800.
The families lived in Perthshire, Blairgowrie and surrounds.

Any connection?

Regards
Lorraine
Canada
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of

Perthshire to Three Rivers: A Genealogy of the Descendants of the Brudenell Pioneers by Marion Clark?

We are interested in the daughters of James McLaren, Grennich, Blair Atholl.  Donald Gordon married Christian McLaren.  When she died in 1804 it is said that he married her sister Jessie (Janet McLaren), the widow of James Stewart.  However this seems to be disputed.

Throth

Offline Angela willott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I live in NSW Australia and my family are the McLarens and Gordon's from PEI. My 4x grandfather was  Capitan James Gordon who married Jane McLaren. He sailed to Australia was was successful as a building contractor in Sydney, Melbourne and Wellington NZ. His son Charles Henry married Elizabeth Jane Eddie who I know nothing more about as yet and then his son John Eadie Gordon married my great grandmother Amy Hilda May Sloggett.

Offline Angela willott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:31 BST (UK) »
The information I found on Donald Gordon that married Christina McLaren after she died in 1804 @32yrs old in PEI he married in 1805 PEI, Jessie McLaren born 1780 in Scotland they had two sons I have recorded as John 1806-1886 & Peter 1811-1898. I know Christina the first wife was the daughter of James McLaren born 1743 Balquhidder and Isabel McDonald. The only Stewart in the line I have found so far are a Captain Donald McLaren of East Invernenty Jacobite born 1720 Balquhidder married Elizabeth Stewart born 1720 Blair Atholl. Her father was Rev Duncan Stewart 1st of Strathgarry minster of Dunoon and Janet MacCalman.

Offline Angela willott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:47 BST (UK) »
The info I have on the daughter of James McLaren born 1743 Balquhidder died 1818 Brudenell River Kings. He married Isabel MacDonald born 1745. He sailed from Port of Glasgow to Pictou Nova Scotia aged 60 stating his farm was taken from him along with approx 60 plus other Scots from the highlanders that where in a bad situation from having been a Jacobite. His children I have found are Janet born 1766/balquhidder, Donald -1770, Christina- 1772 (who appears in both my McLaren and Gordon line), William McLaren whom is my direct descendant, Isabella 5/1/1780, James 30/11/1785, John-1786 and Elizabeth-1792.