Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 72882 times)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:04 GMT (UK) »
re Archibald Mclaren and Margaret King , have found success.

from the list of births that you gave me steve , i looked up some of their deaths. found john the eldest died in 1877 at auchraw, lochearnhead (comrie parish) on 26th august 1877 , he was single.
also found william , the second youngest he died on 21st october 1893 at ardveich , lochearnhead , he was married to a mary beattie , his son william  registering his father's death.

Auchraw and Ardveich are less than 1/2 a mile apart.

both john and william's certificates give the correct parents names , and most importantly it lists the father as being a crofter on john's death certificate , but on william,s as being a tailor to trade.
this ties up on my catherine's death certificate as it clearly states her father's occupation as a tailor.
so their was at least 1 more child to the 10 that you listed steve.  many thanks for your help gordon :)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 December 09 08:54 GMT (UK) »
found another son of Archibald Mclaren and Margaret King

their son Archibald married a Catherine Buchanan , and they were at Dualt , Killearn , Stirlingshire on his death in 1878. yet again it lists his father as a tailor to trade.

the second youngest son William , born 1818 , who married a Mary Beattie , i found them buried at the cemetery at Leckine , Lochearnhead. his son also William married an Isabella Lamb , both also buried at Leckine. their children are also buried here with the youngest Margaret, who never married being the last Mclaren to be buried here in 1993 , she was 92.
Margaret lived at Briar Cottage (formerly Easter Auchraw), lochearnhead . this cottage  has been restored by the present owners and historic scotland , at Lochearnhead , and is quite distinctive with it's thatched roof.
i have all paperwork , going back from margaret's birth back to clarifying on her grandfather's death , her great grandparents Archibald Mclaren and Margaret King , my g/g/g/g/g/ grandparents.
it gets quite complicated when you go back to one small area.  gordon

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 December 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »
hiya Gordon
I have a pic of the interior of Briar cottage .... have you seen it?
I have just been reading the History of Clan Labhram - I know you have it too! Plenty on the Achleskine McLarens.
I have 6 separate McLaren lines from Balquhidder so I am sure we must be related somehow! I also have Stewart ancestors from Auchraw aka Achra. AND King ancestors from Balquhidder ......
I just discovered one line of McLaren ancestors at Invernenty so am excited about looking into that - You'll know the history about one of them being murdered by Rob Roy's son and another escaping capture after Culloden (as mentioned in Redgauntlet by Walter Scott) and the famous eviction. I'd like to see your stuff in tree form sometime - ?
Cheers
Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
hi val
yes i have seen the interior of briar cottage , i think the ancestors way back would not have had it as easy or modern , i guess it would have been very basic.

as to the family tree , i have concentrated mainly on my direct line back. i have my g/ g grandfather's family complete , he was the one who made the moves from lochearnhead , to glenartney , to glenlednock , to portof monteith , to callander and then to meikleour , all in perthshire at that time.
all the usual names are their , donald , john , duncan , archibald , peter , catherine , mary , margaret.

not really branched outwards , from the main line much , how far do you go?

if you are related to kings , mcintyres , mclarens (i have mclarens marrying mclarens  , twice  , from that area , kenmore , comrie , balquidder)
we will i'm quite sure be related.  

usual problem now in going further back from the post i listed with archibald mclaren and margaret king , opr's and a very small area now .
i did find that the census records of 1841, 51, 61 etc , along with the death certificates were the most useful , in gathering info.
guess what i have will be more basic than you have , but if their is any part , or related to a certain farm , area that you are looking for , fire away , i can only look.     gordon

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 December 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon - Don't know if you can help me with this one..may be involved somewhere.

1861 census  - POM, with Alexander McKay are Catherine McLaren dob 1805 Kenmore and Daniel McLaren 1791 Kenmore both listed as brother and sister in law of Alexander, the wife of Alex was Margaret McLaren born 22 Jul 1800 Kenmore, parents (if I have the right ones) John McLaren and Elizabeth McPherson, the only children I can find for this couple are Janet, Ann, Margaret (of course) and Elizabeth, so am unable to see the connection with Catherine and Daniel....Hope this makes sense... maybe you have a connection within your lot...???

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 December 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
hi patvp
       it's the kenmore line that i am interested in too. not got much on them at all , but will keep on trying. donald mclaren , kenmore parish and mary mclaren  comrie parish married in 1802 are my direct ancestors. i seem to be struggling pre 1800 . i think a trip up to the kenmore and killin cemeteries , may help. will do this when the weather improves , snow here just now.

will note all mclaren stones their , and post what i find here , it may help someone.
                                gordon :)

Offline johnmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 December 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow McLaren searchers
This is my first post but I am very keen to chat to any members looking at pre 1800 McLaren's from this area. I have traced back to John McLaren 1797 to 1858 and wife Elizabeth Morison 1801 to ? my GGGgrandparents from Garrichrew & Comrie
They had children Peter 1822 to 1880 married Mary Dow 1828 to 1908 - my GGgrandies
Isabella 1824, James 1828, John 1830, Janet 1834, Jesse 1832, Alexander 1834, Daniel 1835, Colin 1837, Margaret 1839 and Susan 1841 - very busy. I gleaned most of this from 1851 and 1861 census
I believe Alexander married a Margaret McIldowie 1837 to 1915.
Would love to hear from anyone who may be able to help shed more light on these people and maybe their ancestors. Would be over the moon to prove a 4Ggrandparent.
Wishing you all a prosperous new year
Regards John McLaren 1950

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 December 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
hello johnmax
         was looking back my searches that i had on scotlandspeople , hope this helps. was looking for a john mclaren , but the record that i was looking at was not one related to me. however as you know when looking at SP you get 3 deaths on one page. one of them is one of your ancestors.

James McLaren died 2nd December 1878 , age 54. his parents were John McLaren and Elizabeth McLaren (m.s.   Morrison) , both parents being deceased on his certificate.

James is listed as being single and as a slater to trade , also his father's trade is a slater.

the death was registered by Alexander his brother , his address being Burrell Street , Comrie

have found that if you have a specific trade for someone it makes tying things up easier. cheers gordon ;)

Offline vwoman8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello all...My first post, and am very new at all the research!  My father and grandfather gave me all their research notes before passing away, so I am needing assistance..
I am at a sticking point and would love some help..
I am looking for the ancestors of Donald M. McLaren, Balquhidder, Perthshire, b. 1720-d. 1780.  He married Elizabeth Stewart, Stewart of Stratgarry (b. 1720 d. 1743).  This is the Donald who fought w/ the Jacobites in 1745 at Culloden.  I have no records beyond Donald.  ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lori