Author Topic: Navy info  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Paymal

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Navy info
« on: Sunday 09 May 04 09:37 BST (UK) »
Apologies for posting my naval info question in the wrong category. Am new to site, it should have gone in 'beginners ', obviously. Can I renew my request for gudance on this question? I'm trying to trace an ancestor (Grandfather) whom neither my late father or I ever knew because of a close kept family secret. All I know is that he was a rating before Jutland and at the battle on HMS Tiger and that he came from the area around Newton Abbott in Devon. I have a photo of him in uniform. My question to those of you with experience in these matters is: Am I wasting my time with such sketchy info or is it worth pursuing and, if so, how? I would be really grateful for help on this.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:Navy info
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 04 11:49 BST (UK) »
hi paymal,
what was his name? and what year /s was he with HMS Tiger?
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Paymal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaq,

This is the big problem. Because of the big family scandal my father was never allowed to meet his real father and was never even told his name. He did know however, that his father had been a sailor on Tiger in World War 1 and just before and during the battle of Jutland. All I have is the photo. Tough eh?

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 04 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Paymal,

I moved your questions out of the Requests Board as they weren't requests for a lookup on a specific resource.  I thought I had put it into the common room,  but it seems to have gone.  ???

It is not necessary for you to post in the beginners room as you are a beginner on the board,  but if your posting is in beginners or the common room you will get the best response for guidance.

In answer to your question - you are not wasting your time,  any lead may lead you somewhere.  Never give up ;D

I will do some research and let you know if my sources produce anything.  In the meantime we have some far more experienced military researchers and I will make sure they see your query.

Good Luck  8)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 04 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Paymal,

I have found a fascinating site with a picture of the Tiger crew before the battle of Jutland.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/tiger.htm

A third of the way down the page is a good photo of the crew,  you could compare photos.  Do you know a the name you are looking for?  Or anything else at all?

Another thought,  if you have a scanner you can post your picture here and some of our experts may be able to give you more information from the uniform etc.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline MrB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 04 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Paymal,

Just a thought - got to http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s=2b061f92b56a64dee787e2e4ca742a8f and post the picture there with what information you have.

Somewhere (PRO?)  there will be a crew list for the ship in question depending on the relevant  date. Get hold of that and you have a possible 100 or whatever possibilities to go at.

Good luck.

Stuart

Offline Paymal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 04 19:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. I'll get onto these asap. I'll also try to post my requests in the right place in fiuture.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Navy info
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 04 22:04 BST (UK) »
Even better, if you post a scan of your picture here on RootsChat then we can all have a look - we do have people from the Great War forum on RootsChat too ;)

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.