Author Topic: Sarah Ann Emsley c1852 Dacre  (Read 4762 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sarah Ann Emsley c1852 Dacre
« on: Monday 30 November 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just been doing some research on Wharfegen and I'm not finding the info to match the info I have on my tree, which is the right one, here's the info from most other Emsley treesn that I thought was correct

Sarah Anne Emsley  c1852 Dacre to Elizabeth Emsley. (Elizabeth is the daughter of William and Hannah), and she  married James Grange after Sarah's birth)  Sarah died in 1914, Deaths Dec 1914 Sarah Ann Barker aged 62 K’boro 9a 133. Peter Barker aged abt 25, married Sarah Ann, aged abt 19, 23 Sept 1872 in Hampsthwaite See William Emsley her grandfather for her 1861 return. Peter and Sarah Ann had 9 children all born Hampsthwaite

this is the new info on Wharfegen I know it's the same grandfather just wondering if all the other Emsley trees I've come across are wrong if this is the right info

Sarah Anne Emsley Birth: 1851  Dacre, Pateley Bridge,
Residence: 1861 Dacre, Pateley Bridge, Nidderdale
Father: John Emsley (1818-1891) (Son of William & Hannah)
Mother: Ellen Ingleby (1827- )

Help needed desperately are there two Sarah's here?  I cannot find a birth to a Sarah Anne born to Elizabeth Emsley illegitimately.  One way or another William and Hannah (Anna Tully) are her grandparents

Julie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Emsley c1852 Dacre
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Julie,

hope this is what you are after  :-\

1861 RG9; Piece: 3194; Folio: 10; Page: 14

Scott Lane Thruscross

John Emsley head 42 yrs Farmer of 6 1/2 acres Blacksmith b Padside
Ellen Emsley wife 34 yrs Grocer's shop b Thruscross
Hannah Emsley daur 13 yrs
Jane Emsley daur 10 yrs
Elizabeth Hannam niece 4 yrs
John Emsley visitor 19yrs  Blacksmith b Waxiel  :-\

children born Thruscross (reg. Pateley Bridge)

so there is no Sarah Ann here and they are not living Dacre.

heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywoode

Many thanks for your reply she isn't with Elizabeth either in 1861 or any further census returns, here's where the problem lies, here's Sarah in 1861 living with her grandparents,there's no census return for her in 1871  and then in 1881 she is with her hubby Peter Barker the age birthplace etc match the 1861 return so it must be the same Sarah Anne, the 1871 census could be the missing link if I found that one just checked on the Calverley site and she isn't on the 1871 census there, I know the obvious answer is buy Peter and Sarah's marriage certificiate but there's still a few to buy yet on the list so it would be a while before I get round to it but in the meantime here are the census returns I have for Sarah up to 1881 and confirmation it is Sarah Ann Emsley who married Peter Barker

1861  Pateley Bridge   Dacre Banks  Braithwaite Side William Emsley 81  Farmer of 16 acres born West End Hannah Emsley 70  Thornthwaite Sarah Ann Emsley 9 Granddaughter born Dacre RG9; 3195; Folio: 17; Pg: 7;

1881 Hampsthwaite  Peter Barker mar. 34 Mason's Labourer  Hampsthwaite Sarah A. mar. Wife 29 Hampsthwaite, Braithwaite William Son 7 Annie E. Dau 5 Margareta Dau 4 Hampsthwaite Shadrach Son 2 Isabell Dau. 1m Issac Fell boarder 46 Farm Labourer

Marriages Sep 1872  Peter Barker  and
Sarah Ann  Emsley   both on  same page Knaresbro'  9a 137 

Julie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for Sarah Ann Grange 1851, Pateley Bridge and I thought that was good- posted it but then removed because I found a Sarah Grange with parents George and Ann in 1861.

She is not with George, her father in 1871 and there is a Sarah  Grange b 1851 Pately Bridge who is a servant in Wakefield.

There is also a Sarah Ann Grange born 1851 Pateley Bridge who is a servant in Killinghall (reg. district Knaresborough)

1871 RG10; Piece: 4288; Folio: 26; Page: 25

she is with a Cantley family - so that looks pretty good for the marriage.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Family Search has a submission for a Sarah Ann Grange baptism 29 June 1851 Pateley Bridge to parents John and Sarah- can't see this on census.

I think the marriage certificate is your best option  ;)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood

I'm going to send Nic at Wharfegen a message and see what he thinks, he seems to have access to a lot of info so hopefully he'll be able to check the parish registers and fill me in with the details.  If I find any info I'll let you know what happens.

Julie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
that's a good idea - please let me know  :)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywoode

Will do, I've just submitted a message on Peter Barker's page so hopefully Nic will have a look at the info soon.

Julie

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywoode

Just got a message back from Nic,  on the parish registers Peter Barker's father Mark is listed but there is no father listed for Sarah Ann, so he agrees it does look likely that the Sarah Ann I am researching is Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter and not John's daughter as he would have been mentioned as father in the register.

Julie