Author Topic: 1814 Marriage Lookup Wellington Shropshire  (Read 7886 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1814 Marriage Lookup Wellington Shropshire
« on: Monday 30 November 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I found a reference in the LDS records of a marriage between William MANSELL and Sarah PHILLIPS Jan 24, 1814 Wellington Shropshire.  These are my GGGgrandparents.  If anyone can look up this record and find out the parents names for William and Sarah I would appreciate being able to take this line back at least another generation.

I can find William and Sarah on all the census available online and from William's death certificate we discovered a previously unknown daughter Ann.  She was married and therefore not on the 1841 census.  This information pushed back the possible marriage date for William and Sarah and the 1814 marriage seemed a good possibility as there is a christening for Ann April 9, 1815 in Wellington.  I finally realized that their last child, Benjamin, was born in 1838 and therefore I could get his birth certificate and confirm the mother's name.  It was indeed Sarah PHILLIPS.

Any information would be appreciated
Debbie

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1814 Marriage Lookup Wellington Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I found a reference in the LDS records of a marriage between William MANSELL and Sarah PHILLIPS Jan 24, 1814 Wellington Shropshire. These are my GGGgrandparents. If anyone can look up this record and find out the parents names for William and Sarah I would appreciate being able to take this line back at least another generation.

I can find William and Sarah on all the census available online and from William's death certificate we discovered a previously unknown daughter Ann. She was married and therefore not on the 1841 census. This information pushed back the possible marriage date for William and Sarah and the 1814 marriage seemed a good possibility as there is a christening for Ann April 9, 1815 in Wellington. I finally realized that their last child, Benjamin, was born in 1838 and therefore I could get his birth certificate and confirm the mother's name. It was indeed Sarah PHILLIPS.

Any information would be appreciated
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Do your Mansells have any tie ins to a Smith family in Wellington?

My gt-grandad was Thomas Smith born in 1875 in Wellington, for some reason totaly unknown to the family in 1902 he named his 2nd son Thomas Mansell Smith, and no one in the family has any idea why, non of his other Children have unusual second names, and he gave this unusual name to his second son not his eldest son
I have checked both his parents and his wifes & I cant figure it out at all!

Regards,

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 02:31 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know there isn't but there are children of William and Sarah that I'm not sure exactly where they ended up.  Certainly my direct line through their 3rd youngest child Henry has no connections to Smiths.  This couple had 9 children beginning in 1815 with the last being born in 1838.   They did have a Thomas born in 1824 and he married Martha Colley and lived in Trysull Staffordshire and I can't say definitively but I don't think there is a Smith connection there.  I haven't found what happened to their second daughter Elizabeth(1817) nor their son John(1827).  Their daughter Jane(1834) had an illegitimate daughter Harriet in 1857 and after the 1861 census disappears.  Perhaps the death in Wellington in 1865 is hers.  What happened to Harriet ??. 

There are definite unknowns in this family but so far I'm not aware of any Smith connections.  Not all of the children remained in the Wellington area.  Ann and William definitely remained there with the parents but Henry ended up in Shrewsbury, Sarah in Liverpool, Thomas in Trysull, Benjamin in Dresden, and Elizabeth, John and Jane unaccounted for.

I'll make a note and if I ever come across a Smith connection I will revisit this post and contact you.  What was you Ggrandmother's name?

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 02:40 GMT (UK) »
I just looked at FreeBMD for the 1902 birth.  My GGgrandfather, Henry, son of William and Sarah did have a son Thomas(1860) who worked on the docks in Manchester.  The 1911 census shows him as a railway foreman on the Manchester ship canal.  He also had a son Thomas(1889) who worked in the same field.  Perhaps a connection of friends and not blood?

Debbie

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've got Wellington Mansells too, although there are quite a few of them. I've had a look on the 1821 census and found what could be your William & Sarah:

William Mansell age 33 labourer in trade  abode  Walker Street
Sarah Mansell age 29   
Ann Mansell     age 6 (there's a note that says age 6.5)
Elizabeth age unclear
Mary age 2     

I also  had the film out at the LDS family history centre that had Wellington burials up to 1873 and made notes of all the Mansells but couldn't see a burial for Jane in 1865, of course I could've missed her when going through the film. Let me know if you want any look-ups.

I've traced my Mansells back to William b1815 son of George & Mary but there are two George & Mary Mansells so I'm not 100% sure  which are mine but it's looking as if it's George Mansell & Mary Lees. Interestingly, in 1821 they have a Thomas Mansell age 68 with them and I don't know who he is.               
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Gaille, I have a ridiculously convoluted possible Mansell/Smith connection *deep breath*

In 1846 when George Mansell died the informant was someone called Edward Price.

Edward Price married Elizabeth Lees Smith in 1836 (possible relation of Mary Mansell nee Lees)

When my William Mansell married Elizabeth Archer in 1836 one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Smith (Edwards wife??)

A George Mansell was a witness at both the 1836 weddings.

It is a bit early though but might be worth a look at, no stone unturned etc  ;D
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Angelfish.  The 1821 entry would be for the correct family as children were born on Walker Street.  You also gave me another daughter to look for as I had completely missed Mary in my searches.  I will look at my notes for this family and get back to you regarding lookups.
Thanks again

Debbie

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. I didn't notice her before but there's also a Margaret Mansell age 60 just 5 households away from William & Sarah on Walker Street. My Mansells are in New Town which follows on in the census from Walker Street but I don't know how the two relate to each other on the ground.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
William and Sarah in 1841 live in Newtown with children William, Thomas, Sarah, Henry, Jane and Benjamin.  In 1851 they are still in Newtown with son Henry and 8 year old granddaughter Elizabeth Green born in London (would have to be daughter of Elizabeth or the newly found Mary).
In 1861 William and Sarah in Newtown with daughter Jane and her daughter Harriet and in 1871 still residing in Newtown.  Sarah dies in 1873 and William in 1875.

There seem to be 3 choices of parents for William Mansell.
William Mansell christened 14 Aug 1789 Wellington to parents William Mansell and Margaret with a marriage between William Mansell and Margaret Parkes 24 Aug 1784 ChristChurch Wellington  Perhaps this is the Margaret you noticed on the 1821 census.
William Mansell christened 23 Dec 1791 Wellington to parents Richard Mansell and Eliz
William Mansell christened 17 Nov 1793 to parents George Mansell and Elizabeth

There also seem to be 3 choices for parents of Sarah
Sarah Phillips christened 29 Jan 1790 Wellington to Stephen Phillips and Elizabeth
Sarah Phillips christened 21 Aug 1791 to William Phillips and Sarah
Sarah Phillips christened 15 Feb 1795 to William Phillips and Mary

Perhaps there is a relationship between our families. 

Debbie