Author Topic: India: Birth in Rangoon 1884  (Read 5974 times)

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
India: Birth in Rangoon 1884
« on: Tuesday 01 December 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there everyone,

I am a bit stuck and need some guidance.

I have got a copy of my g grandfathers 2 marriage certificates and his Royal Navy service record no, 218085.  Now I have found out that he was born in Rangoon India on 18th October 1884, this where I am stuck I don't know where to go to track down his birth certificate.  Can anyone help with places to search? please

I also don't know any history of this time to try to understand why he was born in India.  I have also tried searching find my path and ancestry but can not find any crossing for him, but he was in Enlgland in 1901 in Devon.                                                                                                                     
I only know his fathers name was William and he was in the army and was deceased by 1921.    If anyone could help in anyway it would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this
Angela Reid                     

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Rangoon India 1884
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
If his father was in the Military, his birth may be recorded on the Overseas Index and then you can send for the birth certificate.  These can be searched on a pay per view site.  Can you give a name?

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
My g grandfather is Robert Mitchell his birth as stated on serevice record is 18 october 1884 rangoon india and his father is called William Mitchell

opps I forgot that earlier

Thank you very much,
angela

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

I have had a quick look but I cannot see anything on the indexes that I have access to.  You could contact the India Office. 

Do you know his father's regiment, that could be another possible line of enquiry.

I have not checked the Index under any surname variations so I will post back if no one else has found anything.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Rangoon is of course in Burma, not India, but did fall under the purview of the India Office.

The army birth indexes show a Robert Mitchell registered 1885 (page 839) in Thayetmo which is in northern Burma.

The 1901 census reference is a bit puzzling - the only candidate I can see in Devon is a boy soldier born in Calcutta.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
hi there
 that could be him as the only information i have is what is written on his service record, his service number is the corect one as it is written on his wedding certificate. 
where can you look up the arm birth records?  does it say his fathers naem ?  as i know this was williwm and he was in the army.
thank you for thaking the time
angela

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 09 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The army birth returns index is viewable on both FindMyPast and TheGenealogist database services. So are the regimental returns but that  birth doesn't seem to be listed there which is a pity.

The curious thing is that the page images on those two database services appear to be from different sources. One says 1883, the other looks more like 1885.

The best thing might be to apply for an overseas birth certificate on the basis that you don't know the GRO reference but quoting the birth date and birthplace and the father's name and the father's occupation - "army service" or something like that if you don't know the unit.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Or perhaps try another tack - do you know if Robert had any brothers or sisters? Is there anything useful in the navy records (next of kin address?) ? When /where did he join the navy ? Can you find him in the 1911 census?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 09 14:28 GMT (UK) »
as yet i cant find him in the 1911 census but i do have his marriage certificate from november 1911 he is listed as able seaman, hms fisgard portsmouth,
angela

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 09 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

I don't think we are allowed to do look ups on the 1911 but keep looking because he is there.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire