Author Topic: Dundalk marriages 1870- COMPLETED  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dundalk marriages 1870- COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 09 May 04 12:33 BST (UK) »
Can someone point me in the right direction to find out information on marriages which took place in Dundalk in 1870?

Many thanks
Pauline
East London:  Chamberlain, McCall, Selby, Coleman,  Jones, Humphries, Davies
South London:  Wannell, Carr, Sullivan, Holland
Kent: Day
Norfolk: Knopwood Caulk
Flintshire:  Davies; Jones
Ireland:  Rowe (Kildare & Dundalk), Collins (Cork)
Staffs: Carr, Powell

Offline SteveSims

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • English + Irish + Welsh + Scots + German = Aussie
    • View Profile
Re:Dundalk marriages 1870
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 04 16:46 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

I'm no expert, but I think your best bet is civil registration rather than church records (though I have also found marriages in newspapers - especially useful before registration).

LDS have parish register films for Dundalk, but the marriages end in 1803 for the Church of Ireland, and 1831 for the Catholic Church. I don't know why in this case, possibly the later ones destroyed in 1922?

Civil registration (in theory) covers all marriages from 1 Jan 1864 (Catholic marriages excluded before then).  See the GRO website
http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

By mail, you can order a photocopy (rather than a certified copy) for only €3.80 but only if  you have the names and the date of the marriage. See the application form at
http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

If you were in Dublin you could use the indexes in the GRO - but I guess that's not an option.

Fortunately the LDS have indexes. If your local LDS FHC do not have a permanent set of indexes (worth checking), you can order the films in.  Not all of them though, there are 334 films in the set.

The link to this humungous and possibly session-based, so I won't try to post it; bit it's fairly easy to get there from place search:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=generallocalitysearch

enter "Ireland", select "Ireland" (top of list), then select "Ireland - Civil Registration" on the 2nd page of topics.

Then on that page, select

Marriage records, 1845-1870, with indexes to marriages, 1845-1921, in the General Registry Office of Ireland

You'll notice this actually has the records to 1870, but even so you'll still need to check the index if you don't have dates, as there are many films to a year.

Go to "View Film Notes" as usual - here are some of interest:

Index of marriages 1869-1872  FHL BRITISH Film 101251

Marriages v. 1 1870    FHL BRITISH Film 101555
Marriages v. 2 1870    FHL BRITISH Film 101556
Marriages v. 19-20 1870   FHL BRITISH Film 101571

I have never used these films, but they seem to fit the bill.

On the other hand, maybe there's a pay-per-view or subscription index around somewhere? Might be easier.

Steve
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Dundalk marriages 1870
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 04 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve - many thanks for the info.  I have been fortunate that someone has already helped me trace the marriage entry.

Thanks again.

Pauline
 :)
East London:  Chamberlain, McCall, Selby, Coleman,  Jones, Humphries, Davies
South London:  Wannell, Carr, Sullivan, Holland
Kent: Day
Norfolk: Knopwood Caulk
Flintshire:  Davies; Jones
Ireland:  Rowe (Kildare & Dundalk), Collins (Cork)
Staffs: Carr, Powell