Author Topic: Anne Salesbury Powell  (Read 20139 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Salesbury Powell
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 December 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have checked the Oxfordshire probate index 1516-1732 &  1733-1857 & the probate records for Oxfordshire peculiars 1547-1857 and there is nothing listed for Hugh Salesbur/Salisbury/Saulsbury etc that I can see

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks,  Debbie.  Very good of you to take the trouble to check for us.  It was worth a shot!

Now we just need SKS with access to (probably) Nettlebed PR -- though I suppose that he could have moved on to some other parish in the diocese before embarking on that final journey to meet his maker . . .

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi DebbieG

Thanks from me too :) 

Heather   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 December 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting.
Rol - good work on finding that entry.
Debbie - thanks for doing the look up.

A vocation in the church would certainly be the most likely outcome after attending Jesus college.

Things do seem to tie up pretty well.

Paul

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have taken an interest in this and thought I would say that there is a HUGE amount of information on this family on Ancestry World Tree.

This includes details on the connections with the Cotton family of Combermere and many more. There is a reference to another clergyman, Reverend Thelwell Salusbury, born c1702, Cotton Hall, Denbigh.

Some of the entries need checking as it is never certain how accurate these are.

Jo

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jo,

Yup,  that figures.  It is a huge family.  One could devote many a thread to its myriad branches.  And I certainly agree with your (cautious) level of confidence in trees on Anc***ry.com,  notwithstanding that some oysters do contain pearls!

Rol
(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 December 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I have found a burial for a Hugh SALESBURY at Ruthin Aug 27, 1681  :-\     

H
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 December 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »

Hmmm.  Wonder if the underlying entry gives more -- probably not,  assuming the burial record comes via the CFHS,  which is usually reliable about including abodes and other such supplementary identifying info from PRs.

Trouble is,  the Liber Cleri cited by the Clergy Database has their "Salisbury" recorded as being still in post at Nettlebed on 23 June 1682,  so we are very probably looking at two different men.

Which to choose . . . ?  If forced to bet,  for now I'd probably stay with the cleric.  There certainly were other Salusburys/Salesburys about in Ruthin in the 17th c.,  so they do need to be watched.

Rol

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 December 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Jo - thanks for taking an interest in this thread.
The Salusbury/Salesbury/Salisbury family of Denbighshire is a very interesting family. Many books contain information about the better known and illustrious branches.
There are also many branches which are not so well documented and the aim is to try and find out where (if at all) they fit into the better known branches.
Certainly this is the case for my branch.  :(
The Salusburys of Cotton Hall, who you mention, are also very closely associated with both Offley and Graveley in Hertfordshire, two places that are just a few miles away from where I now live.

Rol/Heather - It's a shame there is not more information on the burial record. If a child died before their father it would hopefully say who the father was.
In Llanfwrog there is baptism record for an Edward Salesbury s/o Hugh and Elizabeth born Sep 16 1666 (I think it should be 1666 as the CFHS transcript seems to have have a very long 1665 and then skips to 1667, probably a missing title). So there is at least one other Hugh it could be.
Mind you, there is also a burial record in Llanfwrog, with no other information, for a Hugh Salesbury who died in 1670 - so who knows!

Paul