Author Topic: Anne Salesbury Powell  (Read 20006 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Salesbury Powell
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 09 July 11 21:12 BST (UK) »

Hello Kevin -- and a warm welcome to the forum (with apologies for being a bit slow in coming here to look at your message).

As you have read in the two old posts you cited,  Heather and I both saw the online text of the book as posted by Grant Salisbury in his Salisbury Genealogy pages,  hosted by AOL in the section of their site devoted to user-generated web pages.  As you will also have worked out via your search engine,  it very much looks as though (for whatever reason) Grant never moved his material to a replacement webhost in the way advised by AOL -- and it therefore all seems to have been deleted without replacement.  I have failed to find any alternative online version,  e.g. via Google Books or the Internet Archive,  though conceivably you and I may both have neglected to put in the right search terms to bring it up.  Nor can I instantly spot a postal or e-mail address for a (Yorkshire-based?) Grant Salisbury -- though Facebook users might,  I suppose,  find some way of contacting him via that site.  Heather did have an e-mail address for him once upon a time,  but I think she said that it had gone AWOL.

In hardcopy the book is certainly rare:  for instance,  the UK's principal copyright library (the BL at St Pancras) does not seem to have a copy,  and nothing came up for me on WorldCat.  The copy that I have used in the past is the one held by the National Library of Wales,  so if you are within reasonable range of Aberystwyth that is probably the best way for you to gain access.  If the NLW option is impractical and you want information just on the passage in Chapter 8 dealing with the authors' own branch,  do get in touch with me via this site's personal messaging (PM) system and I'll see whether I can help you out.  (N.B. the forum software will deny you use of the PM facility until you have made one more post on a public board [e.g. "OK,  I'll send you a PM"]) ;)  Thereafter,  little green scrolls (lit or unlit) should become visible to you under other posters' names ,  and you just need to click on the relevant one of those to bring up a text box for your message.

Of course if any other reader of this thread finds a new online copy of the book,  it would be great if they would let us all know.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kevlobb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 11 July 11 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rol!

I'll send you a PM!

Kevin

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 11 July 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi kevlobb

The original posts can still be found online to read or copy by using the Wayback Machine.  I accessed the 2002 edition.   This is the reference for Chapter 8.  Other chapters can be accessed by changing the chapter number in the search box on WBM.

http://members.aol.com/dalesman/wales8.htm

HTH
Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 11 July 11 23:23 BST (UK) »

Well done,  Heather!  I remember once hearing that such a site existed,  but never had the URL -- and was rather sceptical as to quite how "universal" it might actually be.  That's definitely a new one for the bookmarks folder. :)

I have also sent Kevin a key passage or two via PM,  but I am sure he will be delighted to know that he can now gain access to the whole thing (still barring Chap. 7,  I suppose).

Rol

P.S.  I have to go off and do other things for a while,  but will post a reply later to the new message of yours that I have just spotted in the John Wynne als Salisbury thread.  (Short answer is,  as last time that Q came up,  "That's what we'd all like to know!") ;)

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kevlobb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, Rol,

Thank you! :D, Those pages are a mine of information, I have spent a good few hours untangling chapter 8 - I see what you mean in earlier posts about lacking sources and many dates are missing, but still - I'm keeping a copy of this very safe.

Kev

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness for Wayback Machine ;D

Sadly chapter 7 is still missing :'(    Perhaps it was omitted in error originally - who knows?   It's all a bit of a tangle but better than nothing!

I'm trying to resist being pulled under th spell of the Salisbury clan again but their puzzles are very addictive.  Such a shame that so many of the parish records don't begin until the late 17th century.  Many of them that are earlier do not have any surnames either.  Still there are lot of 16th century documents at the NLW archive so I live in hope that one day more answers will come to light.     

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk