Author Topic: Anne Salesbury Powell  (Read 20008 times)

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Salesbury Powell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 December 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Thanks for sending me the file.

Thomas Salisbury and Mary Conway been Joshua's parents does contradict the other source information I have, which gives them as been Joshua and Lucy. Maybe the fact that the names are the same has caused some confusion. The death date in the document is the same but nothing else seems to match :(
Another reference to a Joshua been the son of a William Salisbury of Plas-Issa is also interesting.
As you say it does suggest a link with the Llanrwst branch which is something I hadn't considered before.

Yes, Anne's signature doesn't really prove anything either way.
I have requested the marriage look up, so hopefully we may soon determine if this is "your" Anne or not.  :)

Thanks again,

Paul

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

I'm afraid that when it comes to the Salisburies as researched by "antiquarians" both past and more recent,  it is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth ;D ;D   I expect the Society of Genealogists in London may have more information ?

I've located more info from a Grant Salisbury in my files including an email address.  Have you come across this researcher?

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 December 09 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

LOL. Yes very true. Anyway it would make things too easy for us otherwise! :)

No, I haven't come across Grant Salisbury before.
I haven't been doing this long so my connections are pretty thin on the ground.

Any information you have on or from him would be great.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 09 05:03 GMT (UK) »

Hi Heather and Paul,

It is excellent to see the progress that you two have been making in sifting through the evidence,  even if a lot of it remains stubbornly ambiguous.

I think that I can fill in a bit more background about Heather's
... file off the internet re the Salisburies of Lleweni [which] used to be on aol homepage for “dalesman” but the site has since shut down [and which] appears to be a copy of a pedigree type document written in the 19th century
(Reply 3).
I too have the files from that site,  and I think that the Grant Salisbury whom Heather mentions as the source of some other info (Reply 10) was the AOL site owner and the person who made and uploaded the OCR-files from a copy of the book.  I have never been in contact with him,  but I would imagine that it would worth checking out his current knowledge via that e-mail address.

The book itself is quite an eccentric production -- privately printed,  no publication date (probably early 1860s),  and unpaginated.  An image of the full title page appears at the foot of this post.  The man behind the publication was in fact the one who modestly described himself there as the nameless contributor of the "other notes and additions by another descendant of the family".  But the authorial voice in much of the text seems to be his.  His full name was Enoch Robert Gibbon Salisbury (who is also sometimes seen as "Salusbury" and whom I shall abbreviate to ERGS).  At the start of Chapter Nine he fills in some more background about the book's preparation,  which shows that the initial materials were gathered by a Salusbury in the USA who apparently died young and whose papers were entrusted to (or otherwise acquired by) ERGS.  He then passed them to his brother Stephen,  who arranged them further and added more;  but then died himself,  so passing responsibility for the project back to ERGS.  Here is the relevant passage in full:
The preceding narrative had been prepared by a very promising young man, HENRY COTTON SALUSBURY, a lineal descendant of the Lleweni family, through one of the branches that had settled in the United States of America. It came into my hands in a somewhat rough and unfinished state, and was entrusted to one of my brothers -- STEPHEN GIBBON SALISBURY -- for correction. All my papers were placed in his care for this purpose, and he added many facts to the original documents, and would, had his life been spared, have completed, with his usual care and research, the history of the family in a manner that must have added greatly to his credit for learning and scholarly attainments. A great number of the early notes had been written by myself, as the sheets came to me for perusal, and I have added to them, from time to time, when additional information enabled me to do so . . .

ERGS was quite a colourful man,  starting out as a clerk in the Chester gas company,  but rising to be the manager,  then reading for the bar and doing well dealing with private parliamentary bills etc,  and briefly serving as Liberal MP for Chester.  He took a great interest in local history and accumulated a good library of Welsh material (now mainly at Cardiff University Library,  and described herehere and -- in more detail -- here).  He also wrote a series of potted biographies of local figures for the Oswestry Advertiser,  collected and republished by the Advertiser ca. 1880 as "Border Counties Worthies".  There are articles on him in both the DNB and the DWB;  here is a link to the latter.  That says that his son became a soldier of fortune in the Balkans and the Congo.

ERGS's Salusbury book is an alternately fascinating and frustrating work.  It is infuriating that he does not quote full source refs. more often -- if he did not cite authority more efficiently in court than that,  he would have been in bad trouble!  I agree with you both that the content has to be treated with great caution,  as there are blatant errors.  But  it does have its rôle as a quarry for clues and ideas,  subject to a sceptical eye and corroboration from other more reliable sources.

Rol

Postcsript:  I ought probably to add for the record that in Chapter Eight ERGS traces his own descent from John,  younger brother of the Joshua Salusbury of Denbigh (d.1719) who is a main focus in this thread.  One of John's sons,  Henry,  is said to have gone to London and then to America (and so could perhaps have been the ancestor of the Henry of the USA credited on the title page of the book),  while another,  David,  is stated to have been father to Joseph who in turn was father to ERGS himself.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 09 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rol & Paul

Thank you for providing some background to this Salusburies of Lleweni document.  Very interesting.  Unfortunately I can't find the original files on my current computer. :-[     I was sent the link originally by a cousin and reformatted the information.    Unfortunately I no longer appear to have access to the original chapters on my old laptop.     I've emailed my cousin to see if she can resend the files as well as Grant Salisbury's contact info.  I've sent the reformatted edition to Paul in the meantime.  Rol, I seem to remember there was a missing chapter which may well have been Chapter 7.  Sorry!

On the bright side it appears that a John Salusbury's will of 1637 is now on line.  I'm off to try and figure it out in case he mentions a son Hugh and William ;)

H

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 December 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Rol - thanks for that background information.
I had certainly heard of ERGS before but I never knew he was responsible for this document.
He certainly sounds like an interesting character!
It's just a shame that the book wasn't approached in a more academic manner, but as you say, at least it gives pointers, which can then be investigated further.

Heather - thanks for trying to find the original document, it's much appreciated. Good luck with trying to find 'your' John.

Thanks

Paul

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

I found another entry in the baptisms of RUTHIN

Sep 25, 1702  Luce SALISBURY, d/o Josuah

Heather

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Thanks very much for that one.
They seem to be popping up all over the place!

I've just heard back from Ann Hayes.
She can't find the marriage for Joshua and Anne anywhere on her index.

Ah well. The search goes on.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »

That's a pity about the Hayes Index.  Of course the trouble is that quite a few registers do not survive that early -- and many parishes' BTs were badly preserved for the quarter century or so starting in the 1690s.  Still,  the index search was definitely worth a try.  I am not up to date on how far into Cheshire and Salop coverage now extends.  I think a few people used to go off to Chester (which I am fairly confident is covered),  Oswestry (probably) and Shrewsbury (not sure).

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)