Author Topic: Berry, D'Arcy, Monaghan of Galway  (Read 11143 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Berry, D'Arcy, Monaghan of Galway
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
You wouldn't usually find a history for something as small as an individual townland, but you can sometimes locate details on the area. e.g. Samuel Lewis' Topographical Directory of 1837, includes a listing for the civil parish which covers the area, and also mentions Kingstown

see : http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/O/Omey-Ballinahinch-Galway.php

A glebe is the land used to fund the local church and the immediate lessor for all the land in the townland is the Rev. Hyacinth D'arcy. The occupiers for the main property are listed as the Rev. D'arcy in conjunction with a Rev. Alexander R.C. Dallas (trustee) and consist of 'house, offices & land  (orphan nursery & model farm)'. Offices is the term used on Griffith's for outhouses, workshops, stables etc.

The other properties listed are much smaller, all less than an acre, and possibly for labourers working the main farm, with their own small area to provide for their own families.

This buildings on the Reverend's property are valued at £10, whereas the other buildings are all valued at either 5 or 10 shillings, so presumably his is quite substantial and the rest have small cottages.

The publication date for this valuation is 31st March 1855, so a number of years after the famine.

You can see the townland on the 1st edition OSI maps, which date from around the mid 1830s. The Glebe house is shown, but the smaller buildings dont seem to be... Kingstown Glebe/Ballymaconry townland

There are still buildings in the townland about where the Glebe house was, but these are off the main road, so not visible using StreetView.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 12 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, thanks again. 

Yes it's a great little map that - I've been looking at it from your earlier post the other week. I'm just trying to get a feel for the place and try to figure out why my lot might have left when they did (somewhere between Jan 1849 when Thomas and Mary married in Clifden, and May 1850 when their first child was born in Liverpool).  Had a little look into Rev D'arcy and his family the other day and it seems the D'arcy's pretty much owned the entire district for decades - the Rev's father was the man who founded Clifden. The Rev inherited it all from him, then lost it all after the famine - sold the lot c1850. So wondering if he may have got rid of all the tenants before selling up to pay his debts.   I think the other Reverend was tenant at the  property, as Hyacinth D'arcy lived at Clifden Castle - wonder if he had to go too.

Perhaps my lot living on the Revs land explains why Mary's 1st marriage to Stephen Darcy (doubt he's a relation of the Rev) was in the CoI - she was Catholic.  I wonder if he or the other Rev actually married them? 

Thanks for explaining what a glebe is - I didn't have a clue!  And I did wonder if there were other properties hiding in those hills on streetview. Will just have to wait till I can get over there and take a proper look!

Ann

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

I live not too far from Kingstown and Clifden, if you would like any photos etc I would be happy to see what I could find.

There's a little bit about the Churches in Clifden in this link:
http://www.clifdenconnemara.com/ThingstoDo/HistoricalClifden

Cheers Daisy Loo
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 12 06:47 BST (UK) »
That's really kind of you Daisy Loo. Thank you so much.  But unfortunately I have so little to go on as I haven't managed to get beyond finding what's above, so I wouldn't know what to look for or where.  All I know really is that Mary Monaghan (as she was back then) was married to her first husband Stephen Darcy in the CoI there. But married her second, Thomas Berry, in the Catholic church before coming to England c1849. I haven't managed to find a death record for Stephen (c1847) or any birth records for her, her husbands, her daughters, Bridget, Mary and Anne Darcy, just a record for what looks like a previously unknown son, Patrick (all born in the 1830s and 40's).  The only other lead I have is what appears to be a step brother or close relative who also came to England with her from there and was godfather for several of her children grandchildren  over here.  His name was Thomas Ford. But I have no addresses for any of them beyond 'Kingstown'.  If you can get anything from any of that, I'd be absolutely delighted!!  Best wishes, Ann

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 September 12 17:20 BST (UK) »

I'll have a wee look around, and see if there is anything I can come up with.  It may take some time though, as I have two small children, and also have just started a college course, but I will get round to doing it :)

Kingstown is tiny, no shops at all, they do have a small National (primary) School there.

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 September 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Just took a little time now...and have possibly found a record for a Mary Monaghan marriage to Stephen D'Arcy in Co. Galway.  It's in 1827 though.  This may give you more information.

http://www.rootsireland.ie/ - if you put in Mary Monaghan and Stephen D'Arcy it comes up as a marriage in Co. Galway in 1827.  I am not sure whereabouts in Galway this is though, but it seems too close to be dismissed?

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 September 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy Loo. Yes, I'd managed to find that. That's how I finally managed to find out where they're from, I just knew it was Galway before. But if you can think of anything else that may get us further I'd be chuffed! Thanks so much for your help. Hope I can do the same for you one day.  Regards
Ann

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
I must be missing something here.  I thought you said that Thomas Berry was from Kingstown, and that you had got his marriage to Mary.

Where was Stephen D'Arcy from? Do you know his father's name?  Just that in your initial post, you had the first marriage down as c.1833..

Sorry if I am totally off track here :)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 06:58 BST (UK) »

Hi. Sorry, Yes I have both marriages from that site - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Perhaps my lot living on the Revs land explains why Mary's 1st marriage to Stephen Darcy (doubt he's a relation of the Rev) was in the CoI - she was Catholic.  I wonder if he or the other Rev actually married them? 

It was the marriage you mentioned - in the parish/district of CLIFDEN/OMEY/ERRISLANNAN/MORE on 3rd June 1827 in CoI. Mary's address is given as Kingstown, Stephen's isn't listed.  That's all the detail if gives unfortunately.

The only other info I have from there is for the birth of a likely child, Patrick Darcy, born in the same parish to parents Stephen and Mary Darcy on 28th Feb 1828.  He doesn't appear to have come with Mary and Thomas when they came to England, or if he did, I haven't found him, so I don't know much else about him.

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards Ann